Fiat 500 Forum banner

Volume

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Tweak 
#1 ·
My only complaint so far, I'm hoping that I'm gonna get used to it though.
I miss my volume knob :( i know there is a mute button but I'm still not used to its location and i get asked a lot of questions while I'm driving from other motorist that i have to keep turning my volume down :p
the other part, i wish the volume control on the steering wheel was on the left instead of the right specially in manual cars since your left hand is always on the steering wheel and most of the time the right is resting on the shifter.
i know I'm being picky but something has to be wrong with this car, I'm having too much fun it should be illegal haha

#2 ·
I discovered while playing that there is a mute button conveniently on the steering wheel controls. :) I had been changing the volume to talk to my son on the way home, but now I can just hit that with my left thumb to pause/mute, and carry on where I left off when done talking. :)

#4 ·
..... i wish the volume control on the steering wheel was on the left instead of the right specially in manual cars since your left hand is always on the steering wheel and most of the time the right is resting on the shifter.
i know I'm being picky but something has to be wrong with this car, I'm having too much fun it should be illegal haha

maybe they should move the volumn knob from the right side of the steering wheel and put it on the shifter? :p

seriously, this car IS a blast to drive. I too just have to get used to all the 'bells and whistles'. I don't know how many times I've wanted to call my wife and hit the buttons on the left, backside of the wheel to scroll for her name BEFORE hitting the button on the left front of the wheel to activate the phone. :eek:

#5 ·
I think there fine on the steering wheel. Use them all the time, never touch the radio head. Sometime I get confused when the the steering wheels at a angle. Hit the channels instead of the volume, when turning. Probably shouldn't them when turning.

#7 ·
I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the manual was a little lacking in specifics like these. The "help" option didn't give as many prompts as I'm sure it probably can recognize, either. Is there a more comprehensive database/FAQ/list of stuff like that?

For example, WHAT is "Autoclose?" I'm assuming that has something to do with the sunroof? I have no idea, though. The manual doesn't say what it is, only that you can change it, and the options are just on or off... on or off WHAT?! ;-)

I don't mind discovering things on my own, but I do appreciate being able to look up the answer to things that elude/confuse me.

#10 ·
If you contact Fiat Customer Service, they will send you a complete owner's manual which is over 300 pages and has way more detailed info than the Getting Started booklet you get from the Studio. BTW "Autoclose" automatically locks your doors when the car reaches 12 miles per hour.

#9 ·
12MPH is when the Autoclose (should be called AutoLock) engages. There are different manuals, Owners, Blue&Me, in case you want more specifics I think this is the best route to get more informed. I miss the speed compensation for the volume, noticed it a great deal in another car but in the 500 slowing down especially if the sunroof and/or windows are open results in a VERY loud volume.

#11 ·
FIAT 500 USA Owners Manual
Blue&Me_User_Manual

FIAT 500 USA Navigation and Multimedia Manual

These are the three pdf manuals I have not counting the actual paper owners manual and the DVD based manuals and information. I reference these three most often and have found many answers, I think the links are around the forum somewhere but I could zip and upload if someone has a location to suggest they be upped to...don't think there is a Download section for this forum, used to have downloads on another forum full of hard to find drivers. (That was for a PC tech support site mainly focused on x64 OS)

#16 ·
Yep. I finally figured out, after watching the DVD only to see the same clips I'd seen on YouTube, that the DVD is a DATA DVD as well. Durr... That's where the REAL manual is. With the exception of a few mistakes, it pretty much lists and describes everything, including tables of the voice commands and when you can use them, as well as the fact that Autoclose is locking the doors at 12mph, as previously confirmed.

#17 ·
Any one know if it's possible the swap the buttons on the back of the steering wheel?
Since the buttons are the same size and distance from the steering column, I'd expect it to be an easy swap.

#18 ·
Any one know if it's possible the swap the buttons on the back of the steering wheel? Since the buttons are the same size and distance from the steering column, I'd expect it to be an easy swap.
I don't have an answer but I do wonder if you can explain your intent a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.