Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this on the Autoblog website. Chicago voting rules apply :) Vote early and often.
You may help get our favorite Abarth ad to be shown during the superbowl.

Fiat USA put a video showcasing the 500 Abarth on the Internet last November that tested the bounds of what is doable on network TV. That's one of the big reasons it hasn't been put on TV yet. You'll see what we mean when you view the ad, titled "Seduction," after the jump. It was the foam that made it iffy for the networks.

But we chatted with Chrysler marketing chief Olivier Francois at the Detroit Auto Show about Super Bowl commercials where advertisers are known to push the envelope. In the Chrysler-Fiat world of double titles, Francois is also CEO of Fiat. Francois, who is considering a few options for the big game, is wondering if the Abarth video is Super Bowl worthy, and wants to know what Autoblog readers think about the spot. Good enough for the big game, also known as the Super Bowl of advertising?

Chrysler, of course, was the toast of the Super Bowl in 2011, showing an unprecedented two-minute ad featuring Eminem's "Lose Yourself," an appearance by Eminem himself and the new ad theme, "Imported From Detroit."

It's a high bar to reach again. What do you think? Does this Abarth ad have the right stuff?

In case you missed it - Go Here - To Vote.

Hmmm.. On YouTube - FiatUSA has re-titled the ad - FIAT 500 Abarth -- Seduction -- 2012 Super Bowl Contender!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Close to 70% in favor so far. Be sure to click this Link and enter your vote. Seduction would be a classic superbowl ad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a great ad for the super bowl but everyone has already seen it.
How so? Superbowls average 30 to 40 million viewers via wikipedia. Youtube shows about 3 million views for the original Fiatusa video. Speaking for myself, I have watched it more than a couple times so there is some double counting. But, for argument's sake, let's say 3 million have seen it on you tube, that still leaves 80-90% of the superbowl audience, that have not seen it.

Am I missing something.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
yes. yes. yes.

most here have seen it, but that is such a huge audience and that ad fits in with the humor that usually is expected in sb ads.

i even think they could get away with leaving it in italian....the message is so clear.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

I guess I'm in the minority but I voted that if Fiat were to run an Abarth themed ad during the SuperBowl I'd rather see something new/different.

To be honest, in a SuperBowl setting I think that the "Seduction" ad would kind of just be kind of lost in the crowd, as other vendors already seem to be laying the groundwork for even "more sexy" and in the end, the actual commercial itself doesn't really seem to me to do all that good of a job of actually explaining what an Abarth is, &/or that its actually a new model of the 500 and not just the same car that they've already seen last year.

To me, if you really want to introduce a "new" model, then a commercial that makes it clear that it is a "new" model may actually be a better bet in my mind.

Regards

Pat

PS. I also saw an article (I think on USAtoday.com) that noted a report that suggested that ads that try and use sex to sell a product may actually have a less favorable rating than products that don't use sex. (I think they suggested by about 105 or so, if I am recalling correctly).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi,

I guess I'm in the minority but I voted that if Fiat were to run an Abarth themed ad during the SuperBowl I'd rather see something new/different.

To me, if you really want to introduce a "new" model, then a commercial that makes it clear that it is a "new" model may actually be a better bet in my mind.

Regards
Personally, I remember the superbowl ad's that are funny. Like the EDS ad.

So, let's see what else Fiat has produced for Abarth ads. They say "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior", so what's Fiat done to advertise the Abarth before.

This one came out in November, and probably is closer to a pure car ad. I like it but no humor. Good but forgetable, IMHO

I like this one for the 500C, this is the Abarth I want to own, same color combo. But, the USA doesn't have it yet... and it makes the Abarth a chick car (again). I like these ladies more than J-Lo but still...

Then you have this older one - Seems designed to appeal to the 20 somethings with more testosterone than brains. And, uh, no humor.

So, considering the above examples, I think Seduction is 'way outside' Fiats usual comfort zone for Video ads, but Seduction is done, it's a hit (to 3 million viewers), it's funny, it's in the can, it is ready to be shown. If "something different" is like the other Fiat Abarth ads above, isn't Seduction a better fit for a classic superbowl ad?

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'd bet very few superbowl viewers have seen it. Even if they did, they'd love it.
Although it is an Abarth ad, it is really about FIAT. I can't think of a better Jlo antidote. And I know Abarth is meant to be low volume, but if they need to crank out more, would FIAT complain? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts