Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I saw a guy selling Fiat 500 Abarth 2013 and he told me that car cought on fire under the steering wheel and after extinguishing it he changed the whole dashboard with 2016 model's (you can see it in my photo). I want it as my first ever car and dont want that thing to happen to me....So, do you recommend it? And btw do you know what causes that problem? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks like the engine is running, yet there are lots of warning lights on the dash. There are ways to reprogram the later dash to work on earlier models, but it looked like he didn't do it.

I don't even see the mileage on that display where it should be (bottom center!!!)

I would run unless it was VERY VERY CHEAP (like 25% of market value). You still have to worry about the quality of the rest of the job, does everything work, how well did he splice the electrics, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are plenty of cars to choose from, walk away from this one.
As a new driver, you've got a lot on your plate; dealing with a fire-recovery car shouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
Ditto, walk away. Lots of better Abarth's out to choose from. You still don’t know what else, the fire damage car might need in repairs. It could turn into a money pit, in the long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mates! I just wanted this because of the monitor and didnt like that fact of fire. he said he would give it to me in 4,8K$

·
Registered
968 Posts
Honestly, you're doing good to pass on it. Besides the points I mentioned above:

1) If he couldn't be bothered to source the correct year model dash & electronics, leaving it with error codes, how can you trust that it's going to function correctly in all the ways you can't see.
2) For $4800 you can get a salvage abarth that had body damage, which is much more apparent what the issues are than a burned out dash.
3) If it was burned badly enough to have to replace the entire dash, that was a pretty bad burn. The car should have been parted out, not rebuilt. Or at least rebuilt with the correct parts not the wrong ones. See point #1.

As good as a deal as $4800 may sound, when you consider that non-salvage ones are about 2x that, you will have it sitting in your driveway most of the time broken, or getting repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll add, you can get clean, non salvage Abarths for ~$7k with about 50-60k miles. Is a couple thousand worth the stress you (could have) with this??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll add, you can get clean, non salvage Abarths for ~$7k with about 50-60k miles. Is a couple thousand worth the stress you (could have) with this??
yeah i know...i know friend of mine selling sick abarth for 7,5k$..it has euro taillights, catless downpipe, stage2 175whp...pretty good car..with 76k km on it...idk i want this one more but its all about if i can afford it you know........thanks all of you for your responses and recommendations, appriciate that <3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts