Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my 500 a week ago and took photos of it in the driveway... I noticed the hood was out of alignment... 45 min after I left the dealership.
I went back to the dealership and they told me someone had tried to close the hood with the prop stick in place :' ( I did not notice it when I took possession. Bummer. The hinge is bent. I never opened or closed the hood.

I went out to the lot and found 2 brand new cars with zero miles that had this same problem. They are working with me and splitting the cost of the repair : / $150 to paint and replace the new hinge and apply touch up paint to affected areas. So $75/$75 better than nothing.

If you take your car for service/oil change to your local Jiffy Lube, Sears...ect this could also happen to you. Caution.

IMO
The prop stick should be placed in a location that does not damage the car if someone, accidentally or unknowingly, attempts to close the hood... without removing the prop stick.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear this. Let us know how it works out. That's almost a freak accident, something I would have never thought of.

Ryan

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Evidently it is not a freak occurrence/accident... the service manager knew exactly what caused it. He had a brand new hood bracket, on his desk, for another customer that had the same problem. As I stated above there were two new/unsold 500s on the lot that had the same problem. He went on to inform me that it is so common that they stock that bracket. He also informed me that there will be an update/modification in later models to fix this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The exact same thing happened to the 500 that was at this February's Cincinnati auto show ... ! It would be nice if a good vendor can come up with a retrofit "gas strut kit" to replace the prop rod once and for all.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That just seems so odd to me. Every car I've had, save one, had a prop. How can someone, especially a service person, try and close the hood with the prop up? Maybe because it's short and in the back a little?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm seeing more car w/gas filled struts these days. My '10 Forester has them, as does a co-worker's '11 GTI. If only Honda had seen it fit to put them on my wife's Accord, I could actually fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir w/out having to hold the hood up with my head to get access to it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
My guess is they're taking the line, "It may have been us, or it may have been you, so let's just split it down the middle and call it even."

Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an assembly line manufacturing or design flaw. You shouldn't have had to pay a penny.
It's a design flaw. Or, specifically, a combination of them. The prop rod is located where it's not obvious, and the hinges obviously bend quite easily. In both cases FIAT went a bit too far in their quest to minimize the car's weight. How many ounces would a long, forward-located prop rod have added?

I conduct a car reliability survey, and would count this as a repair--meaning a problem that occurred through normal use of the car, not abuse. Parts need to be designed to hold up when subjected to common user errors.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a design flaw. Or, specifically, a combination of them. The prop rod is located where it's not obvious, and the hinges obviously bend quite easily. In both cases FIAT went a bit too far in their quest to minimize the car's weight. How many ounces would a long, forward-located prop rod have added?

I conduct a car reliability survey, and would count this as a repair--meaning a problem that occurred through normal use of the car, not abuse. Parts need to be designed to hold up when subjected to common user errors.
Well put.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
If you look at the aspect of the engine compartment, the long side is up front. You can't block the long side. So you would have to use a goofy little strut. I would rather have all metal.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We should start a list. Since I've been on the forum (joined in March '11, I think), I've noticed three things that have come up:

1. Misaligned hood
2. Broken head lamp retaining clip
3. Malfunctioning USB port

Keep that in the back of your head to check out when you pick up your car.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts