Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I printed this out from the CD/DVD owner manual so I would get the wording right. It leaves me scratching my head. It's not what I think of when I think of "roadside assistance" and not what I recall others, including FIAT, describing when roadside assistance was mentioned.

The warranty reads:

"The Basic Limited Warranty... cover the cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest Fiat dealer if your vehicle can't be driven because a covered part has failed.

"24-hour Roadside Assistance does not cover parts, repairs, lockouts or replacement keys, tire changes or tire repairs, jump starts, fuel delivery, accidents, winching, vandalism, rental of towing equipment, storage fees, or any labor. If the vehicle needs to be towed, and the cause is not due to a warrantable mechanical condition, then the vehicle will be towed at owner expense."

I flash back to when I had my MINI Cooper and was making the trip from Los Angeles to Cleveland. Hit a pothole the size of a small suitcase about 90 minutes west of Nashville and one of the run-flats blew (at 80mph :eek::eek::eek:). MINI towed my car to the Nashville dealership without batting an eye or any cost to me.

Is the Roadside Assistance offered under Forward Care different from what is described above, or one in the same? I thought I'd be able to ditch AAA because of the FIAT Roadside Assistance, but after finding the above... :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Easy test.

Drive someplace, and let the air out of your tire.
Call up Roadside assistance, and see what happens.

If they refuse to come out, you inflate your tire with your air pump that's under your driver's seat, and now you know what to expect.

BC.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That's interesting. I never read the fine print although I did consider canceling my AAA Plus when I got the Fiat, but it would cost me more to restart it if things didn't work out and it covers all those things that appear to be excluded from 'Roadside Assistance'. Glad I decided to keep paying even though it is within $20 of being $100 a year

·
Registered
825 Posts
I stuck with AAA because they'll tow you somewhere other than the nearest dealer. I like to have options.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Easy test.

Drive someplace, and let the air out of your tire.
Call up Roadside assistance, and see what happens.

If they refuse to come out, you inflate your tire with your air pump that's under your driver's seat, and now you know what to expect.

BC.
better yet, call them and just tell them your tire is flat and see what they say. if they don't come out, you don't have to mess with your tire. if they say they WILL come out, then wait a couple minutes and then call them back and cancel the call, telling them you got it 'handled' and thank them. no reason to let the air out BEFORE you call them. just a thought.

OR how about just calling FIAT USA and ask for a ruling on this. :rolleyes:

I TOO thought it would cover flat tires, lockouts, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lockout, flat tire, out of gas, jump start... all included. This at least is included in my sales agreement as part of the basic coverage. Even includes $1000 travel distruption if stuck 100+ miles from home.

• 4-Years/50,000-Miles
    • Basic Limited Warranty (as outlined in the Warranty Manual)
    • $30 First Day Car Rental Allowance or Taxi Reimbursement
      Same day mechanical or maintenance service visit (excludes bodywork)
    • Extended Car Rental Allowance or Taxi Reimbursement
      For overnight repairs on covered components, 5-day maximum per occurrence

• 3-Years/36,000-Miles Scheduled Maintenance
    Oil, Oil Filter Changes and Lubrication Service (as outlined in the Owner's Manual) Wear Coverage
    Includes brakes (rotors, pads, linings & drums), wiper blades and clutch discs or modular clutch assembly (as equipped)
  • 4-Years/Unlimited Miles
    “Sign-And-Go”Towing and Roadside Assistance
    Includes towing, at-tire service, battery jump, out-of-gas fuel delivery, and lockout service
    (i.e., keys locked in vehicle or frozen lock). $1,000 Trip Interruption Coverage
    Provides up to $1,000 for lodging, meals, and car rental expenses if:
    (1)The vehicle is inoperable due to a component failure covered by the factory warranty AND
    (2) The failure occurs more than 100 miles from home

·
Registered
182 Posts
We had a minor electrical issue a few days after bringing our Fiat home (convertible mechanism pinched a wire and blew a fuse) and the brake lights and dash display died. I called Fiat Roadside Assistance and a flatbed truck was in front of my house within 30 minutes. The driver offered to take me to the dealer, however I chose to go later. Once I arrived at the dealer (Bob Baker Fiat in Carlsbad, CA), they provided me a rental car, which I drove for 2 days while they addressed the issue so it would not happen again, checked out the electrical system AND put on a set of Competezione 17"x7.5" wheels I had ordered. When I picked up the car it was repaired, washed and ready to go. No further problems and we just crossed the 5000 mile mark. I could not have asked for a better service experience from Fiat Roadside Assistance or my dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A friend of mine got a 500 just a few months ago, and based on his experience, I thought they were worth considering. This morning (Saturday), his battery went dead. According to the dealer, since it's a warranty issue, and their warranty people aren't around until Monday, there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO. So friends with a Ford are going to loan him a car until his is fixed. BAD SHOW, FIAT.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I called "Chrysler" Roadside Assistance @ 1-(800) 521-2779. (Interesting that Fiat refers to themselves once again... as Chrysler.)

Abdur told me that a flat tire is covered up to $100. i.e. A towing cost, of up to $100. My inference is that the tire is not covered, but this is based upon Abdur's words and not necessarily an articulate response to the direct question I asked (two times).

You know how this goes sometimes...

Also learned:
A jump start is included within the coverage (if relevant). Two gallons of gas is included if we run out of gas. This coverage lasts for four years.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
A friend of mine got a 500 just a few months ago, and based on his experience, I thought they were worth considering. This morning (Saturday), his battery went dead. According to the dealer, since it's a warranty issue, and their warranty people aren't around until Monday, there was NOTHING THEY COULD DO. So friends with a Ford are going to loan him a car until his is fixed. BAD SHOW, FIAT.

Welcome to the forum.

Of all the potential problems any car could have this seems one of the best since it is so easily resolved and could have just been an issue with the battery manufacturer (which it would seem is most likely).

·
Registered
341 Posts
First off, this thread is about roadside assistance, not crappy dealers who don't work on Saturdays.
Did your friend call the Roadside Assistance number?
Did he request a jump start?

I'm going to guess no.

Second, don't blame Fiat for their dealer choosing to not perform any repair services on Saturdays.
I can guarantee you there is someone in the service department on a Saturday, though.

Think about the Sales department being open on Saturday.
What if they sell a car, and it needs to be prepped?
Service preps the cars, even on Saturdays.

There is someone there who can work on your car, they just choose not to.

And third, nice first post.

BC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts