Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My FIAT was out of washer fluid for the first time, so on my way out of the grocery store this morning I picked up a jug. In the parking lot, I popped the hood, located the washer fluid filler neck, popped the cap...and the bloody thing popped right off and disappeared under the engine. It must have been hung up in the undertray because it was not under the car. DRAT!

I considered my options. I had several more errands to run then I had to get to work. I had the stupid fluid in hand so I decided to at least fill the reservoir...which then resulted in the realization that it does not hold a full jug of fluid (first time I've encountered that situation since my mom's Chev Celebrity). Now I was double dinked...I was reluctant to drive anywhere and risk losing the cap, and to boot I had filled the tank to the absolute brim and any driving would have made a big mess.

I layed down on the asphalt (in my nice work clothes and Ferrari jacket) and scoped out the plastic undertray. I could hear the cap rattling around as I rapped the undertray, so I decided to walk into the hardware store nearby and buy an adjustable wrench with which to remove the undertray.

I should mention here that I have zero mechanical aptitude. Any task involving tools leads me to make bad decisions which result in property damage and/or personal injury.

I remove one bolt but the tray won't budge. I remove another...the only other one I could reach...and I can pull the undertray down enough to see the cap in there but I could not squeeze my hand and wrist in enough to seize it.

So I went back into the grocery store and bought a long-handled serving spoon (which I kind of needed anyway) with which I was finally able to pull out the cap.

To this point I had been cursing my little FIAT...so cheap as to not have a fluid filler cap tethered to the filler neck!!! Once I pulled it out I realized it was split circumferentially and could be easily popped open...in my clumsiness I had ripped the whole thing off.

So I did the rest of my errands with 2 bolts removed but the undertray seemed secure. When I got home I jacked up the car to more easily replace the bolts. Having my socket set made the job much easier too.

So beware popping the cap on your washer fluid reservoir, folks.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My FIAT was out of washer fluid for the first time, so on my way out of the grocery store this morning I picked up a jug. In the parking lot, I popped the hood, located the washer fluid filler neck, popped the cap...and the bloody thing popped right off and disappeared under the engine. DRAT!

I should mention here that I have zero mechanical aptitude. Any task involving tools leads me to make bad decisions which result in property damage and/or personal injury.

So beware popping the cap on your washer fluid reservoir, folks.
LOL, I thought I was the ONLY one who did that!:D It happened in my garage. I was able to drive the 4-6 miles to the downtown dealer to have the shield dropped and the cap was successfully recovered! The problem is the 'hinge' looks ALMOST like the tab to pop the cap open...if you aren't paying CLOSE attention...there goes the cap into the depths of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha a couple more victims and we should make this a sticky! :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
This is why I let the studio fill it up, and it's free
My studio attempted to put PLAIN WATER in my washer reservoir...I threatened the Service Manager with bodily harm.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts