Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 days ago I filled the washer fluid and today my wife said we need to buy washer fluid for the 500L. I told her I already took care of it and tried to assure her it was done but she insisted we buy fluid as if I was crazy. When we went to leave the store I said look it wor......or maybe not. I had no washer fluid. So I embarrassingly take the fluid we just bought and filled the reservoir all while getting the I TOLD YOU SO looks from my amazing wife. So I fill it and had just a small amount of fluid left in the jug so I decide to do a quick wash of the windows to make room for some of the remaining fluid. Front worked great and I then turned on the back. I got nothing so I held the lever thinking the line was bone dry. Well still nothing so I say forget it and try to add some of the remaining fluid in the jug knowing I didn't use enough to take all I had left. It took it all....I looked under the car to see if it was leaking and I couldn't tell because the ground was very wet already. I finally said forget it and finished our afternoon of errands. When I got home I got some water to fill it to see what it was doing and it took a 1/2 gallon of fluid and would've taken more had I had more. I had my son in the car pulling the lever as I investigated. Didn't take long to see what was going on at that point. When i pull the lever to activate the rear washer I spews fluid out the wheel well on the drivers side at the bottom of the washer fluid tank. I can only assume the hose has came off but I can't see under the tank. So I plan to make an appointment tomorrow for the following Monday. I took a little video to show service. I figure it's under warranty so why not let them fix it...anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Registered
137 Posts
No not the same issue but I will take the opportunity to cry about a minor inconvenience related to washer fluid - On the front washer fluid reservoir why couldn't the design engineer A) made the neck of the bottle 2-3inches taller, B) made it angle toward the front of the vehicle, and C) made the opening in the shape of a funnel, so when idiots like me try and refill it in a parking lot on a windy day it doesn't spill all over the place. Ok, I'm good now. Thanks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Summer bug fluid and/or water in the system can freeze and push apart connections, or split tubing or connectors. Once reconnected/repaired, you will want to flush the lines purging any of the water you put in. I have had the line come off the tank on another car....due to summer fluid remaining in the vehicle into winter. The green bug juice typically has low alcohol content and will freeze in winter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always buy the expensive stuff rated for negative temps. Especially after last years winter I wouldn't buy anything else. I normally would never add water I only done that to find my leak as opposed to wasting another $5 worth of washer fluid. I ran it until it was out. So no worries there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
No not the same issue but I will take the opportunity to cry about a minor inconvenience related to washer fluid - On the front washer fluid reservoir why couldn't the design engineer A) made the neck of the bottle 2-3inches taller, B) made it angle toward the front of the vehicle, and C) made the opening in the shape of a funnel, so when idiots like me try and refill it in a parking lot on a windy day it doesn't spill all over the place. Ok, I'm good now. Thanks.

Get a 600ml plastic soda bottle, cut it and you get a perfect fit custom funnel to fill the washer fluid tank.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know what you mean Kev. When filling I use a removable funnel so that I don't end up spilling half the gallon and spilling it on other components. What can I say, Fiat is not perfect!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
905 Posts
I can't recall the brand, but on two of my other vehicles I have used aftermarket washer fluid caps that convert into funnels.
They lift up to form a funnel, andcollapse down just like kitchen silicone colanders/funnels, and have a hinged lid, replacing the stock cap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Was Fiat smart enough to install a large enough tank so it will hold an entire container of washer fluid once the empty light comes on?

Here's a tip you will not regret if you want to fill the washer fluid tank only about once a year at most and that is on Quebec salted crap winter roads. Do yourself a huge favour and apply a treatment of Aquapel in fall and spring. This stuff is amazing at keeping the windscreen clean without, or better said, with very, very little water and most of the time you will not even need to use any fluid at all. Can't even begin to explain how much difference it makes. I treat the entire fleet in my family which is 5 cars. I buy the stuff on ebay in 24 packs which lasts me years and drops the price down to around $2.50 a pop as opposed to $20 at some of the local dealers. Do not compare this to other rain repellants such as RainX, no comparison whatsoever.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I hope you find one. This is a decade old or more. I havent located any online yet. In leiu of this, you could just Put a lanyard on a collapsible Si funnel and hang/stash it on the neck of the reservoir or nearby. Then too there are hard card Fast Funnels available at auto parts, or through Amsoil. They fold flat for easy stowage (disposable-one time use).

This one is on it's second vehicle and the rubber is just starting to degrade some at the folds. Please post back if you find a source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 days ago I filled the washer fluid and today my wife said we need to buy washer fluid for the 500L. I told her I already took care of it and tried to assure her it was done but she insisted we buy fluid as if I was crazy. When we went to leave the store I said look it wor......or maybe not. I had no washer fluid. So I embarrassingly take the fluid we just bought and filled the reservoir all while getting the I TOLD YOU SO looks from my amazing wife. So I fill it and had just a small amount of fluid left in the jug so I decide to do a quick wash of the windows to make room for some of the remaining fluid. Front worked great and I then turned on the back. I got nothing so I held the lever thinking the line was bone dry. Well still nothing so I say forget it and try to add some of the remaining fluid in the jug knowing I didn't use enough to take all I had left. It took it all....I looked under the car to see if it was leaking and I couldn't tell because the ground was very wet already. I finally said forget it and finished our afternoon of errands. When I got home I got some water to fill it to see what it was doing and it took a 1/2 gallon of fluid and would've taken more had I had more. I had my son in the car pulling the lever as I investigated. Didn't take long to see what was going on at that point. When i pull the lever to activate the rear washer I spews fluid out the wheel well on the drivers side at the bottom of the washer fluid tank. I can only assume the hose has came off but I can't see under the tank. So I plan to make an appointment tomorrow for the following Monday. I took a little video to show service. I figure it's under warranty so why not let them fix it...anyone else have a similar issue?
[/QUO

I am having this problem - Fiat 500 (2013) - fill the windshield fluid all the way and it does not come out FRONT, but it does come out back. Look at the washer fluid container under hood and it's low (or empty) - but no fluid under my car.

What the heck?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts