Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Personally, I think it's a crock of something brown and unpalatable, but get this...

So, we're sat down with "finance" to buy my 500, and of course we get to the part where they try to sell us on the well known overpriced and generally useless add-ons such as "simonizing" (though they don't call it that any more), and what have you. Of course, they're all WAY overpriced, one so much that I bust out a guffaw when she said the price.

The one thing that really struck me was that when she tried to sell me on the "paint sealant" product, and I scoffed at the incredible price of like... $1200, she asked condescendingly, "Even though it's a new, water-based paint?"

As if the paint would run off the next time it rains? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? Err... house paint is water-based, too. It's called latex. Once it dries... it doesn't soak up water.

Now, I'm not about to start arguing the benefits of an overall paint sealant/protectant. It might very well be a good idea. It ain't worth what THEY were asking, though, that's for sure. But this nonsense implication that without the protectant, my car's paint job would trickle down the sides and leave an unprotected steel shell is ludicrous to me.

Of course, she didn't go into it, 'cus I didn't ask what she meant by that statement. I'm sure she would have said that the paint would just fade or wear or something sooner/faster or some other nonsense.

Am I nuts to not have paid for this "service" they "generously" offered me? If paint "sealant" is such a must-have, then why isn't it on the car from the factory? If it's such a must-have, then where can a guy get it done for a reasonable price. Oh, and if it's such a must-have... WHY is it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
But this nonsense implication that without the protectant, my car's paint job would trickle down the sides and leave an unprotected steel shell is ludicrous to me.
Well, it IS made by Chrysler....

The dealer I initially went to tried to guilt me into one of their protection packages because he was 'giving me' the Chrysler Affiliate Program discount.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the epa does not allow lead based paints, all cars have been using water based paint for at least 10 years now.

this is why you are seeing mild orange peel on some cars, even Ferrari's, right from the factory.

thankfully my dealer did not try to sell me on some snake oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's not the first time I heard that one ... they said the same thing to my brother at the Toyota dealership when he bought his Highlander! He called me, and let me chat with the F&I guy a bit, who quickly dropped the sales pitch after that. Funny stuff!

If you have some spare time on your hands, go to
www.edmunds.com, and read their "Confessions of a ...." series. These are tricks of the trade type articles, written by former car salesmen, f&i people, service writers, etc. Pretty enlightening stuff!

Best thing to do is give your car a good hand wash, and put on the wax of your choice, and be done with it. If you can avoid the urge, stay out of the automatic car washes that actually touch the paint (even if they have "soft cloth"), and your paint will likely lead a long, lusterous, relatively scratch free life!

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
The 500 has a clear coat finish on it. Like all modern cars of today. Back in the 1970's the dealers, use to like to sell you paint sealants, fiber seals, and undercoats. Cars didn't have clear coat finishes on them. On todays car, that just a big waste of money. Dealer making money, for nothing!!!!! Keep it clean and polish, your finish will last you a long time. Buy a flat screen TV, with the $1,200.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I knew it was a crock. I had read my bank's car buying guide, and they pretty much said "say no to anything they try to sell you on at the last minute" and we did. I just thought it was hilarious that the lady would imply that the paint would wash off or something without the overpriced sealer on.

Is there a good thread on here about favorite washing and waxing products? There's a Griot's literally around the corner from the Fiat dealer... I might have to baby my 500 with some of their products. ;-)

·
Registered
211 Posts
i used to put "cobra" sealant on toyotas when i worked for them. it was just a wax. people paid 250-650 for the paint sealant. I used to keep the extra and use it on my car. just wax ur car once a month or so and u will be fine. wash it weekly by hand, no auto car washes what so ever...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts