Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anywho have an idea on how to install WeatherTech wind deflectors on a Fiat 500? It came with a clip and the instructions make no sense.

According to the instructions you put the clip over the rubber weather strip for the back side of the car. If I did that it would tear it. The rong side slides in fine. Also it apears the deflector is too long. The company states its the correct one. Any ideas? Pics of an install?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weathertech should be able to email you the instructions?
I've done the install it is pretty simple. Put the front end in first, then bow out the deflector and put the back end in the clip, then work in the rest.
The clip does not go into the rubber window seal, it slides into the upper part of the door frame. I'll post a pic later if it will help.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I have the WT and last night I had to remove them, since day one of install they have looked awesome but put additional stress on the window motor both up and down. The window would stop about 1/4 of an inch from closed as of last night so I removed them at that point. Today I called WT and they asked for pics so I reinstalled and sent four pics and await a response, if you can provide pics Mac that would be great, I had them installed since Sept. and just tried not to use the windows often which pretty much is a terrible way to make do with a product. I think the metal clips must have something to do with it but when I tried to use the clips it was even worse. I REALLY like the look and intended function but somehow they just do not seem to want to seat 100% properly. @ NHF, they seem long perhaps but I am fairly sure they are the proper length, part of what makes them stay is the fact they are large enough to apply the pressure obviously, they flex a huge amount so it is very unlikely you could break them during install if this is a concern.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics would be great because the instructions are vague. I understand the side mirror side, its the clip on the back side of the door that makes no sense. The instructions want you to place it in a location that just doesn't work.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
pics

I've had them on for a couple months. I did reinstall them once, the front part was (I thought) digging into the rubber door trim a bit too much, but yes, they are held in by friction/pressure. And seems a good tight fit. I think that changes in weather may slightly affect things (obviously, hot/cold expansion/contraction).
I do make sure that when not in use, I roll the windows up all the way. On occasion, when rolling them up, I detect a slight bit of "reseating", i.e., the window motor may take a second or two to fully "quit". But overall I'm very satisfied and like being able to crack the windows in rain (snow coming).
Two pics - one of the front, one of the clip attachment point. The clip goes between the black door trim piece and the rubber seal, hope it's clear. As mentioned, I put the front part in first, per their instructions, then bowed out the deflector, placed the rear into the clip, then slid the rear/clip up and in, then seated the rest of the deflector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
p.s.

The instructions also suggest, once first installed, to slowly roll up the window and guide it a bit/put some pressure on the window from the inside, to help it seat. They also recommend leaving the windows up for 12-24 hours (forget which), to allow the rubber window seal to adapt to its new situation.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I've had them on for a couple months. I did reinstall them once, the front part was (I thought) digging into the rubber door trim a bit too much, but yes, they are held in by friction/pressure. And seems a good tight fit. I think that changes in weather may slightly affect things (obviously, hot/cold expansion/contraction).
I do make sure that when not in use, I roll the windows up all the way. On occasion, when rolling them up, I detect a slight bit of "reseating", i.e., the window motor may take a second or two to fully "quit". But overall I'm very satisfied and like being able to crack the windows in rain (snow coming).
Two pics - one of the front, one of the clip attachment point. The clip goes between the black door trim piece and the rubber seal, hope it's clear. As mentioned, I put the front part in first, per their instructions, then bowed out the deflector, placed the rear into the clip, then slid the rear/clip up and in, then seated the rest of the deflector.

Ok, the way your rear portion is on the outside...is that how you left it always or just for these pics because that isn't how it shows it installed in their videos and it also did not look as if that was how it is intended to be installed according to the included installation instructions. If you put the deflector inside with that metal the window will DEFINITELY not roll up properly, if you remove it and insert the rear as the video installation example suggests the window still has great resistance when you roll it up. For the record, I waited 24HRs during warm weather just to be sure it would mold and/or seat properly. Thanks for the info you are providing. As of now I have yet to hear back from WT. :cool:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so the clip goes between the rubber and the molding. I didn't think there was space in there. I'll try installing them again tomorrow. Thank you!! WeatherTech should use actual photos and car specific install instructions for specalized installs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Strange. The instructions I received with the deflectors definitely were specific to the Fiat (or at least any car requiring the clip), and were pretty specific re: how to install. I also took a look at a couple photos here, a ROTM that had them installed which better clued me into the need to have the rear tab on the outside. You're right, the videos on WT do not address the need for the clip. All I can say is that the install works for me as shown, and while snug, I don't believe I'm putting any undue stress on the window motor. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Strange. The instructions I received with the deflectors definitely were specific to the Fiat (or at least any car requiring the clip), and were pretty specific re: how to install. I also took a look at a couple photos here, a ROTM that had them installed which better clued me into the need to have the rear tab on the outside. You're right, the videos on WT do not address the need for the clip. All I can say is that the install works for me as shown, and while snug, I don't believe I'm putting any undue stress on the window motor. HTH.

Thanks, going to have to look into it again and see what I can do, I dislike the outside mounted look, definitely not the way they show on the site and not what the lady I spoke with stated, but then she was supposed to get back to me with specific details for the 500, she hasn't done so as of yet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried to install them again today knowing the exact location the clip should be installed. The window wouldn't go up all the way and then I had to fource the window down. Everything was sitting correctly. Any ideas? Junk?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
OK, this is the deal Mac, I used your pics and re-installed my WTs and two things, the clip on the driver side is not anywhere close to as secure as the passengers side, it slid on VERY easily on the drivers side and was difficult to clip to the visor on passengers side. I truly think I will be seeing it fly off eventually if I leave it installed, the second problem is the curve at the top rear, I can see it in your pic and obviously in person on mine, if you roll down the window although it wouldn't be major it is very easily seen that water could enter through this gap at the curved area. Third, yeah I recalled one other point...the small clip over time may cause wear or fading issues maybe on the small area that it covers. I know that is a small area but if you think about it if they flew off and you didn't buy new ones that worn area would stand out at least a little. WT has still not made contact but with one sliding easily and one feeling extra tight I don't think I like the end results if the outside install turns out to be what WT states is how they designed these for the 500. I most likely will contact them sometime next week so I am sure they have had adequate time to check, look, or maybe even test installation. I hope someone else has these and will chime in with info, appreciate this thread and hope it results in a happy ending for any and all involved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Earlier I posted this on another blog regarding the WT wind deflectors.Wildeyed
I don't know where you are in the US but if near Southern Calif or traveling here you are welcome to drop by. I'll open up a new box and we can compare your product with a fresh one since we carry them. I can then help you with the install. I had several dialogues with the Weather Tech engineers and as a result we have a slightly modified instruction sheet that I send to my customers. I too had problems with mine at first.
Rick
HotFIAT.com
I'd be happy to help readers of this blog as well

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Earlier I posted this on another blog regarding the WT wind deflectors.Wildeyed
I don't know where you are in the US but if near Southern Calif or traveling here you are welcome to drop by. I'll open up a new box and we can compare your product with a fresh one since we carry them. I can then help you with the install. I had several dialogues with the Weather Tech engineers and as a result we have a slightly modified instruction sheet that I send to my customers. I too had problems with mine at first.
Rick
HotFIAT.com
I'd be happy to help readers of this blog as well

If you would just answer me this...does the little black metal piece clip on the outside as shown in the pic from Mac above? In doing it this way there is a small gap created by the curvature at the rear of the deflector, it is open just enough water should be able to enter into the cabin area, still works fine installed like this and no issues with the strain on the motor at all but if you use the method described in their installation video you will burn out a motor or relay for your window given enough time. Thanks to all joining this convo, it has proven useful!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts