Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WeatherTech Window Deflectors for the Fiat 500 are not built to the correct spec size. The front part slips out and it binds the window. As you can see I shredded my weather stripping cracked the deflector when putting up the window. I included pictures to show the damage and the faulty broken product.

Maybe the Mopar deflectors are better...

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Auto part Car Wood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Window Windshield Automotive window part Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Tire

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Weather Tech and they blamed me for the defective part. I tried to explain they did not fit, following their provided directions. Not brain surgery here. They were incredibly rude. Still waiting for a resolution.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Mine haven't caused any issues at all, once I properly installed them, if you look at the general directions and video and use that method for the 500 you'll do it wrong, if you do it properly though it shouldn't result in what your pics show, even at nearly (maybe at or exceeding) 90-100MPH mine are sitting there doing the job intended. I did contact WT and they were nice but the didn't follow up with me as they stated they would which kinda sucks but since I didn't actually need them to contact me I don't care too much, also the enclosed license plate from them and trunk liner is nice. :cool:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ok, so if the directions and video are wrong, how are you supposed to know the proper way to install them, trial and error? That seems a little dodgy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm currently in communication with the weather tech to resolve the design flaw. It can be visually seen the product fits too tight on the front portion before the bend so it bows out.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The video shows them inside the channel front to rear but for the 500 it is the front and the rest LESS the back which uses the little black clips provided, the video doesn't mention or show that portion which some might find confusing. I can snap some pics or make a video panning from front to rear if you'd like me too...your call.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tossed them. They are just not designed right and just don't fit. Couldn't get the windows up and slipped out in the front portion of the window when I tried. In fact one cracked. Documented it all and submitted the info.

WeatherTech was not help even with pictures and proof of the design flaw. Maybe another brand would be better I'm unsure.

My advice just keep away from the Fiat 500 ones... never had any issues with any of my other cars.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Tossed them. They are just not designed right and just don't fit. Couldn't get the windows up and slipped out in the front portion of the window when I tried. In fact one cracked. Documented it all and submitted the info. WeatherTech was not help even with pictures and proof of the design flaw. Maybe another brand would be better I'm unsure. My advice just keep away from the Fiat 500 ones... never had any issues with any of my other cars.
When I first installed mine I tried to install as the video instructed, it is 100% wrong however and once I realized it and installed them with the little clips the video never mentioned they've been great, before that I couldn't get the window up either, now it has been many months (around 6 I think) and they are still doing great, sorry to hear you had such issues. I definitely agree their support is lacking, I emailed and they got back to me but after submitting another email including my questions and pictures (as requested) I never heard back, not cool!

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I first installed mine I tried to install as the video instructed, it is 100% wrong however and once I realized it and installed them with the little clips the video never mentioned they've been great, before that I couldn't get the window up either, now it has been many months (around 6 I think) and they are still doing great, sorry to hear you had such issues. I definitely agree their support is lacking, I emailed and they got back to me but after submitting another email including my questions and pictures (as requested) I never heard back, not cool!
Thanks!!!!

Tweak,
do you have some pictures that you can share?
Still leaning towards WT over MOPAR, just cause I don't like the peel and stick approach...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Thanks!!!!

Tweak,
do you have some pictures that you can share?
Still leaning towards WT over MOPAR, just cause I don't like the peel and stick approach...
I'm not able to share any pics but I tried to install the WT and they ended up in the garbage !!
For now, I'm considering MOPAR.
I always had in channel sticky ones on my previous cars and they are great, never had any issues with them :)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
@ Crazy, yes I can get you pics but my car is currently in the shop so please remind me about mid-week or so as I hopefully will have it back by then, gladly take some pics for you. @Flanders, I had stick on types and they eventually wore out and when it came time to remove them the adhesive left behind was next to impossible to remove and looked terrible, refused to ever deal with that again. At the moment the best pic I have that shows the WT pretty well although not too close up is from the day the coil overs were installed, till the car is returned this is the best I can offer. Look closely and you can see the small black clip on the rear which I at first did not use, tried to do the video type install as they show on the website and I could not get my windows to roll up and I seriously thought I was going to break them or destroy my weather stripping, luckily I removed them and someone here posted a pic that clued me in to what needed to be done, fixed promptly and love the look they give as well as the obvious air intake with lessened wind in the cabin.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I somewhat agree, they could certainly fit better, they haven't moved even at higher speeds so I am ok with them as they are...perhaps they'll come out with a newer revision but I doubt it. Really like the look and as mentioned I refuse to use stick on type again, the results down the road are not worth it for me personally.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Tweak;[email protected] said:
You are right, the "on types" look horrible and if you ever have to remove them - it is a mess ...
But as I mentioned before, I always had the "in channel" sticky ones and never had any issues with them and they look great ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
You are right, the "on types" look horrible and if you ever have to remove them - it is a mess ... But as I mentioned before, I always had the "in channel" sticky ones and never had any issues with them and they look great ;)
Those I could certainly deal with, not sure they make the for the FIAT, if so they probably didn't back when I got my WT, also got the trunk liner and the license plate enclosure type frame, my plate is very clean sealed up in there and my rear cargo carpet is spotless! Guess two out of three products isn't too bad huh. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts