Fiat 500 Forum banner

WeatherTech Window Deflectors - Do not buy

19K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Philpop 
#1 ·
The WeatherTech Window Deflectors for the Fiat 500 are not built to the correct spec size. The front part slips out and it binds the window. As you can see I shredded my weather stripping cracked the deflector when putting up the window. I included pictures to show the damage and the faulty broken product.

Maybe the Mopar deflectors are better...

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Auto part Car Wood
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Window Windshield Automotive window part
Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Tire

See less See more
#42 ·
Modification Done

Here is what I was able to do to make the Weather Tech fit to my FIAT with out the damage to the outer seal and using the S-Clip;

I got the idea from my Ford Escape; as I have AVA Deflectors and they are attached by 3M Tape. I haven't had any issues with them.

Items Needed:

Dermal on Low speed; Painters Tape, Cutting wheel, Polishing tip to round the edges, 3M Auto tape, and some extra hands to help out.

I was able to cut the ends off of the deflectors (Using a dermal) or you can leave them on and just apply 3M tape to hold them down, if you wish.

Apply 3M Auto tape to hold it in the window Seals, just make sure to cut the tape in half and apply it to the outer edge of the deflectors. This way the tape won't show after you are finished. You can just use one long piece of 3M Tape instead of the 3 pcs on the top edge and one piece on the front edge. Make sure you leave about 1/4" Space from the edge of the end piece. Another helpful hit is to make sure you peal of the red backing off before you roll up the window. If you don't the tape will break and you have to start all over.

Make sure hold the Deflectors out a little when rolling up the window and then let it sit for at least 12-24 hrs if not longer to make sure the tape holds and the seals learn the new positions. You will hear the window press on the deflectors when you roll them up while they are in place, but it shouldn't cause any issues with the motor or the glass. I'll keep you posted if something happens.

As you can see the fronts are not touching the front seal to cause in rubbing or damage.

Sorry if some of the pics are upside down, but they were right side up when I uploaded them.

They look great and I will find out how they work on Monday. The only issues I see is the gap in the front and possibly the straight edge at the end, as this might let rain in to the car. I will find out when I drive in the rain.

So what do you think???

Attachments

#44 ·
Looks good. Funny thing is I did the exact same thing but the adhesive tape I had was horrible and would not hold at all, you're likely to be much better off judging by the 3M tape you used. I had no desire to use adhesive originally which is why I purchased these but because of the design it was either use these and redo the tape, buy new and just stick them on (which is what I did) or stick them on and let them damage the seals (again). Since the stick on type are about $30 bucks I just went the easiest route. I have been to 135MPH without issue, hope these hold up long term for you. Thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts.

#49 ·
Looks like they changed the design of these to not require the s-clip. I installed a pair, but they do seem to fit awfully tight in the window channel. I'd originally gotten the Mopar ones, but the driver's side one cracked right after installation. I might have to buy another pair of the OEM ones that it's hard to close the windows with the WeatherTech deflectors.

#50 ·
Old post revival but whatever...
I went against all said here and installed. Saw on an Abarth in parking lot, thought looked great, ordered and installed.... didn't look closely as he/she installed but just saw brand and ordered. They looked really good from across the parking lot and was hesitant to order because I don't like the look of most but these were acceptable to me.
I only searched online reviews after I ordered....so far they seem ok. Not great, not perfect. Just ok. As long as don't fall off or continue to dig into moulding and go right thru and start to let water in i might have to do what about member did and 3m tape em in.
Haven't driven on highways yet but upto 80kmh they great for aero, windows up, cracked or down.
They also look like they prob let some water in if raining hard near top back. Maybe it have to modify and seal but at least they water won't likely drip onto an mirror switches like before. Maybe if leaks bad will drip down towards door lock motor...

But yeah, they do mess up moulding pretty bad but under visor and begind mirror mostly so hard to notice....

Attachments

#52 ·
I think they were made incorrectly and rhe curve in them isn't right so it digs into window frame instead of leaning towards front to stay in place. Probably made by some typical crap Chinese company and nobody gives a **** because they probably only sell what's left in stock. Weathertech should really discontinue bec it's bad for brand.

#53 ·
Well, i have had these on for a couple weeks now they seem to be so so.. they work quite well. They keep the drips out and air flow is much better at all speeds. I can crack windows open at much higher speeds and reduced turbulence significantly. They have nice clean look but also have shape that seems to give just enough wind and rain protection.

But they are still digging into bottom window weather strip and likely will cut right thru but i am hoping since rubber and snug won't. The small top spaces at back of vents is not issue and even if some water comes thru there it is on outside of window. They also cracked a little and pieces broke off the inner mounting area but not noticeable.

Kinda crappy but hate to say I'd probably buy again as I don't know or have seen in person any better. I think the mould the were made from was slightly off and wrong curvature. They should put more pressure towards front rather than down into weather strip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.