Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm having an issue on my new 500. When driving at a respectable speed (ie: above 20) and I hit bumps maybe 1.5-2 inches or more in height, I get a clunk from the front suspension. Sounds like a control arm or maybe a bushing. Sounds like something metal is clunking against something else metal. Any ideas what this could be? I'd like to avoid sending this to the dealership if I can. :confused:

Sorry, forgot to mention. Car is sitting just under 500 miles.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
this is a common problem, unfortunately there isn't a clear solution yet. My sport developed a clunk and so does my abarth, the noise went away on its own for a bit but now its back. Ive heard some people say the strut mounts are wearing prematurely but my studios haven't been able to give me an answer yet

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One person suggested I could be driving the car too aggressively but believe me, I know how to push a car (Heavily modified Miata) and I'm babying this car.

So far what I'm finding from others as possibilities:

Struts (#2 contender in my mind)
Strut mounts (#1 contender in my mind)
Bushings (#3)
Steering Rack (I doubt it's the rack)

Do we have front sways? Could be an end link if so. It almost sounds like I'm having a control arm with a bushing with too much play, or a strut mounting bolt is loose and is clunking against the tophat. But I swear it sounds like something that already has load on it and then because of the bump it's shifting (maybe as little as an 1/8 inch) causing a 'clunk' when metal hits metal. Kinda reminds me of my friends torn engine mount, would clunk over bumps but the engine itself wouldn't move abnormally.

My dealer wants to take a look at it, however I plan to dynamat my doors and wheel wells this weekend weather permitting, so I can't get it looked at until afterwards. At this point though it's only annoying.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've got something similar in my right-front wheel area. Plan on getting down to peek once the snow has melted more....

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the same issue as well as other owners with stock or modified suspension set ups. About 99% sure it's a defective top strut mount which makes the clunking or plopping noises under load. I have changed mine out once already and the noise is still there especially during cold starts. Once it warms up, the noise lessens but is still there. Fiat needs to come out with a better part to eliminate this annoying noise problem, imo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Attaching a link to an exploded diagram of the suspension. This thread has a host of owners having the same types of issues. Just FYI. Going to the studio on Saturday to get my second key and I'll see what they think during a test drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have clunks in my suspension too. I've had them since day one. I now have about 500 miles on my new 2012 500, and they don't seem to be getting any worse.. or better. I just thought the roads were too rough around here. Hope the warranty will take care of this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a quick video I recorded of the sound I am getting. It's when I hit a bump or pothole 1.5-2 inches or deeper at speeds above 15-20. The sound gets louder the deeper the pothole is and the faster I get (to a point).

·
Registered
924 Posts
Attaching a link to an exploded diagram of the suspension. This thread has a host of owners having the same types of issues. Just FYI. Going to the studio on Saturday to get my second key and I'll see what they think during a test drive.

From all that we have been dealing with this, it is the part labeled 8 in the diagram

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shock mount would make sense. Some people were saying part 9 was their cause (Jaunce).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have clunks in my suspension too. I've had them since day one. I now have about 500 miles on my new 2012 500, and they don't seem to be getting any worse.. or better. I just thought the roads were too rough around here. Hope the warranty will take care of this.
Jason: Yes, the studio should address any defect on the vehicle per the terms of the warranty... let me know what they find and if I can be of any assistance.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Agree that part seems weak, when I swapped my front struts out, one of those "feel apart" but I put it back together
We've seen this as well, we've had to buy a few to replace

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Jay or Fiat Cares- Can you make one that is awesome and cures the problem for ever(lol) like the other products you manufacture. Fiat Cares, i've had the same problem and the studio sayes they can't hear it or find the problem so nothing gets done, the clunk is still there. Fiat needs to make a better shock mount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a Fiat mechanic in Canada and have been pulling my hair out trying to find & fix this clunking noise. Most Fiats I drive have this noise but not everyone complains about it. I have noticed that when the vehicle is on the hoist, the upper strut-mount moves in the body-pocket. We have been replacing the upper strut mounts & modifing the upper strut plate to hold the mount tight in the body-pocket and this usually fixes the noise but some cars are still clunking. Was hoping someone on this site had more info. My shop-foreman said that a new style upper-mount is being made but I don't think this is the only problem. Someone said something about the steering-gear causing the clunking?? Any info on this noise would be appreciated

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes the mouts move when you giggle the wheels on a lift...Like a VW but the VW dont clunk like crazy...Weird

and BTW, when you get the car back down on the ground th noise stops for a while, like something goes back in to place. As of now my car is at 57000kms and its getting worst by the day, so i guess i just hope something fails before 3000kms is left on my warranty..

1 - 20 of 235 Posts