Fiat 500 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Took my 2012 Sport in two winters ago and the Studio couldn't find anything wrong. I suggested they check out this forum for more info. Nothing was ever done and I traded the car in last November making the same noise.

The new Turbo does the same thing. Brought it in at 1300 miles and they said my car's VIN didn't fall under some service bulletin, so they melted the ice off the suspension and said I was good to go. I even showed them a photo of the new jounce bumper design! Told them to call the Milwaukee Studio since they basically discovered what was causing the 'plopping' noise. Car is noisier than ever... Called the Service Advisor back and will be making another appointment when the roads melt back down to pavement.

If they refuse to fix the problem, I'll be forced to buy and install them myself...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Add me to the list.

I brought my 2013 Pop in at 9,800 miles, they couldn't diagnose it. Brought it back in at 11,700 after it had started clunking over every little bump; they've ordered new jounce bumpers under warranty.

·
Registered
424 Posts
2012 lounge started making the clunking noise several weeks ago, 38,000 miles, took it to Zeigler in Schaumburg IL and they replaced the jounce numbers, a cracked coolant reservoir, and the steering rack. Took the whole day, but got a rental. Hopefully these were just early build problems. The dealer did a great job. I think that they have assigned the fiat cars to just one person, instead of other service writers who are used to jeeps and chryslers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2013 Pop I bought two months ago that was manufactured after the Technical Service Advisory said that problem was fixed with the jounce bumpers, but I still had the problem in my passenger side suspension two weeks after buying the car. The dealer did a repair, replacing the jounce bumper, but also replacing the strut and the control arm (I was surprised they replaced so many parts). The problem is much better, although over bigger bumps, I still sometimes hear the clunk. Should I follow-up further or just let it be at this point? I don't hear the clunk over smaller bumps for the most part.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
... The problem is much better, although over bigger bumps, I still sometimes hear the clunk. Should I follow-up further or just let it be at this point? I don't hear the clunk over smaller bumps for the most part.
You might just be hearing the suspension bottoming out. It happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update for me: Took a week to get an appt so maybe they only have one Fiat mechanic there too. Brought my '12 Sport in early AM, it was done by 11. The mechanic must be getting fast at jounce bumpers. This is the second winter I've had this done. I'll have one more winter under warranty. Service people didn't know if there had been a redesign, I suspect not. They said the part had been redesigned last winter, but obviously not.

I'm fortunate to live only 10 mins from service dept. It must be quite frustrating for those who live farther away.

Loaner was a Jeep and it was nice to drive without fear of potholes. 500 is a great little car but I think I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who lives in a cold climate where the roads get potholes in winter.

BTW heard that the Fiat dealership in Peabody (ex of Danvers) may be closing and Fiats being moved to the Kelly Chrysler/Jeep dealer in Lynnfield. They have already moved the service dept there, and have Fiats on the lot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 2013 Pop I bought two months ago that was manufactured after the Technical Service Advisory said that problem was fixed with the jounce bumpers, but I still had the problem in my passenger side suspension two weeks after buying the car. The dealer did a repair, replacing the jounce bumper, but also replacing the strut and the control arm (I was surprised they replaced so many parts). The problem is much better, although over bigger bumps, I still sometimes hear the clunk. Should I follow-up further or just let it be at this point? I don't hear the clunk over smaller bumps for the most part.
baltdave,

I'm glad to hear the replacement of the jounce bumpers has helped the clunk noise you have been hearing. The work performed by the dealer was designed to address the noise heard when traveling over bumps in colder temperatures. It sounds as though the noise is not heard under normal driving conditions, hitting a larger bump can certainly result in a louder noise.

A follow-up with your Studio can always be beneficial. A discussion with the Service Dept. can help to clarify any technical questions you may have in regards to the recent work completed on your Fiat.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Brought my Turbo in at 1300 miles and the Studio said my car's VIN didn't fall under some service bulletin, so they melted the ice off the suspension and said I was good to go. I even showed them a photo of the new jounce bumper design! Told them to call the Milwaukee Studio since they basically discovered what was causing the 'plopping' noise. Car is still clunking... Called the Service Advisor back and will be making another appointment when the roads melt back down to pavement.
Update: The car went in on Friday. The tech drove the car and he heard the 'plopping' noise, but says he wants the car back when he can have it for an entire day to figure out what's causing the noise. My bet is still on the jounce bumpers.

Of course, wouldn't you know it... the suspension hasn't plopped or clunked in the last three days! Odd driving it now because it's so quiet going down my ice covered street.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you FiatCares for your message. I realized that I didn't include one bit of information in what I originally posted. Even though I hear the thunk much much less frequently, I still only ever hear it from the passenger side, so that I only hear it from one side makes me think there is still some small issue. I think I will discuss it with my service department and I appreciate your message!

I just waxed my car today....it looks really good!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I brought my Abarth to Westbury FIAT service for the knocking from front suspension. They replaced BOTH front struts. Also, the lower side molding was coming off and they fixed that.
It took two weeks, BUT, they gave me a free loaner car for the entire time. They are open until midnight, so I got there at 10 at night, handed them the keys to the loaner and got my car (which was washed and clean). NO Charge and no more knocking/ clunking.
All good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got a 500T last fall, jounce bumpers were replaced at 3000km and again at 6000 km for the AB version. Spring is coming now and I wish the warm weather will help to get the clunk away for a longer period. Other than that car is plenty fun to drive and trouble free. Hope Fiat solve the clunking problem before next winter come back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well for the 3rd time in less then 6 months my clunk is back. They said the last time that they "glued" the bump stopin place... It lasted 3weeks. Really tired of this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Got a 500T last fall, jounce bumpers were replaced at 3000km and again at 6000 km for the AB version. Spring is coming now and I wish the warm weather will help to get the clunk away for a longer period. Other than that car is plenty fun to drive and trouble free. Hope Fiat solve the clunking problem before next winter come back.
Merveille,

With the new AB part # installed, the warm weather will help to remove the clunk sound you have been experiencing. I recommend remaining in contact with your Studio for updates in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 Abarth with 5300 miles. Both front struts are knocking when hitting a sharp bump. Mechanic says the top bushing get hard when cold. Sounds legit but not an answer for a problem. Getting new bushings today and everytime the knock returns.

·
Registered
53 Posts
brought my 2013 sport turbo in to Bergstrom of the fox valley today,very nice people. good news they are going to replace both sides even though only the left is making noise. bad news, part is on back order. oh well

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the noise and it was the jounce bumpers in my front struts. They replaced them. Noise went away.

1 year later the noise is back. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the noise and it was the jounce bumpers in my front struts. They replaced them. Noise went away.

1 year later the noise is back. :(
heh same! JUST re-appeared three days ago. stupid -14ºC weather and Toronto roads...

Next time I go in I'm going to make sure its the B part... but I'm not sure it'll help much given our winters.

·
Registered
140 Posts
heh same! JUST re-appeared three days ago. stupid -14ºC weather and Toronto roads...

Next time I go in I'm going to make sure its the B part... but I'm not sure it'll help much given our winters.
I wonder if it's worth getting springs or some other suspension mod that comes with new bump stops.

Unless it's now the strut mounts?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I wonder if it's worth getting springs or some other suspension mod that comes with new bump stops.

Unless it's now the strut mounts?
New shocks, springs, and bump stops should fix it. My Sport has the weird clunking noise over pretty much every bump. Its very annoying. The Abarth has no problems. With the suspension.

Could be the strut mounts..

181 - 200 of 237 Posts