Fiat 500 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Noticed my Abarth has started making this noise recently, same as the videos and descriptions in this thread, drivers side front when going over bumps. Looks like I'll be called the dealership later today... :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Glued" That's a good one. Mine has been fixed several times, the last time just recently, but because of winter has been safely hiding in the garage. Contemplating retirement and the butter smooth roads out west. Come on spring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Update from my case.
Went to the dealer today and they fixed the problem. Apparently it was due to whats called "Jounce Bumpers" which were loose on the struts. They corrected them and secured them into place.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Update from my case.
Went to the dealer today and they fixed the problem. Apparently it was due to whats called "Jounce Bumpers" which were loose on the struts. They corrected them and secured them into place.
From what I have read there have been three revisions of the jounce bumpers now. The other two common front end noises are due to the intermediate steering shaft and strut top hats/mounts (might have the term slightly wrong).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jounce stops are moving all over the place according to my dealer's tech. Ordering the parts in, should be in by friday. The problem really only appears every winter, so its likely it'll show up again next year if it hasn't been fully addressed with the new jounce stops.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Jounce stops are moving all over the place according to my dealer's tech. Ordering the parts in, should be in by friday. The problem really only appears every winter, so its likely it'll show up again next year if it hasn't been fully addressed with the new jounce stops.
It's crazy they are now on the third revision of jounce bumpers. Hope this last time they got it right.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It's crazy they are now on the third revision of jounce bumpers. Hope this last time they got it right.
I have needed new jounce bumpers ever since I got the Sport. The Abarth has been perfect. Haven't been to the dealer yet to get them replaced, figured there's no point as they are pretty much useless

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue with both front wheels of my Abarth.
Took it to the shop.. They had no idea what the problem was.
After a month they finally covered the issue with warranty!

It was the strut mounts.

Replaced and no more clunking noises!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good question. Standard warranty is four years so not a lot of 500s are out of warranty yet I guess.

Mine is a 2012 meaning I can get the jounce bumpers replaced two more times. This winter in NE has been rough but I don't think it's a function of bad roads per se. My 500 Sport is garaged and was only out a few times this winter yet the left side jounce bumper is gone again. I think it's a function of extended sub-freezing weather, then if you drive over a pebble it's enough to cause it. Whereas once the weather warms up, the resulting spring potholes don't cause a reoccurrence.

I'll schedule yet another appointment to have the jounce bumpers replaced. Only 10K miles on the car but third winter, third failure. I'll probably be selling the car this year so I won't find out how much this would cost out of warranty. It's amazing they haven't done a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good question. Standard warranty is four years so not a lot of 500s are out of warranty yet I guess.

Mine is a 2012 meaning I can get the jounce bumpers replaced two more times. This winter in NE has been rough but I don't think it's a function of bad roads per se. My 500 Sport is garaged and was only out a few times this winter yet the left side jounce bumper is gone again. I think it's a function of extended sub-freezing weather, then if you drive over a pebble it's enough to cause it. Whereas once the weather warms up, the resulting spring potholes don't cause a reoccurrence.

I'll schedule yet another appointment to have the jounce bumpers replaced. Only 10K miles on the car but third winter, third failure. I'll probably be selling the car this year so I won't find out how much this would cost out of warranty. It's amazing they haven't done a recall.
Same here, weather warmed up and clunk is gone :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive a 2012 500 Sport and experience the same sounds, but I'm getting these "pop" "Pop'ing" sounds coming from all four wheels when driving normally and small pot holes cannot be avoided..
Back of my mind I'm thinking maybe center hub caps vibrating, loose and/or the TPMS sensors inside the wheels hitting the inside of the rims, only during minus winter temperatures. During the summer months, it doesn't occur...? Very strange indeed? Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Definitely the Jounce Bumpers. I had the exact same noise and Fiat's first attempt to fix it is to regrease them. If that doesn't work they replace them which is what they did to mine today. It was a nice quiet ride home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My 500T with 12k has a popping sound coming from the right front wheel. When you hit certain dips or bumps, it makes one noticeable thunk, like a rubber ball was bounced off the top of the fender. It doesn't do it constantly, only on certain dips/bumps. Since I was bringing it in for an oil change, I asked the dealer to look at it and see if it had the new style jounce bumpers. The dealer ordered new upper strut mounts, which they installed a few weeks later. While they were working on it, I asked the tech if the mounts had the new design jounce bumpers and he said "you would think so, but no they don't". He also said the strut mounts looked fine so he was doubtful that was the problem. Sure enough, as I pulled into my side street, I hit a small dip and heard the same single "thunk"! So the 2 hours spent at the dealer was a complete waste of time.

What I find curious is the receipt given to me mentions "jounce bumpers replaced on both sides". But the tech said the new mounts did not include jounce bumpers. So why would the receipt say that? Is this a case of the dealer trying to make me think they did the repair I was looking for or do the mounts include jounce bumpers, just maybe they didn't have the newer design because they were old stock? Has anyone else had the noise return after the jounce bumpers were replaced?

Should I continue to pursue the repair or just live with it till I decide to upgrade the shocks later on down the road? Its just kind of irritating that a well known noise can't be easily fixed. Im currently living with the clunking steering shaft as well afer replacing it on my previous 500 didnt fix that problem either. My Hyundai Elantra wagon is known for rear sway bar link failure. Recently, it started clunking. I took it to the dealer since it still had 5k left on the warranty. They diagnosed the noise as sway bar links and installed them a few weeks later. The suspension is now completely silent! Why can't Fiat service work this way??!

·
Registered
8 Posts
not just a cold weather problem?

I have had the jounce bumpers (supposedly?) replaced in each of two winters (Boston area). This past winter was the third, and the same thing happened--the horrible thunk of a bottomed-out suspension when going over certain potholes. I didn't get around to going to the shop though, and now with the warm weather, the thunk has stopped.

Fiat contacted me by phone some months ago for a survey. One question was would I recommend this car to anyone. I said unfortunately no, since though it's a great zippy little car otherwise, the fact that after three years they haven't issued a recall seems pretty bad. Do they really still not have a proper fix for this? I'll keep mine as long as it's under warranty, which is one more year.

I was under the impression this was caused by cold weather reducing the flexibility of a hard rubber part, and am surprised to see an owner in FL with the same problem. If indeed it is.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My previous 2015 500 sport did this and started at around 4k miles. Front passenger side. Before I got it looked at I traded up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone with a 2014 car have this. I have a clunk, almost hollow sort of sound over potholes and speedbumps on my right hand front. Studio checked all the bolts, said the universal ' yeah, they all do that' and its still there.

Wondering if maybe the top mount, if it hasn't been updated my also be the culprit, Only 7000kms and 11mths old

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Anyone with a 2014 car have this. I have a clunk, almost hollow sort of sound over potholes and speedbumps on my right hand front. Studio checked all the bolts, said the universal ' yeah, they all do that' and its still there.

Wondering if maybe the top mount, if it hasn't been updated my also be the culprit, Only 7000kms and 11mths old
CPR or cyclone-33 (Ron Christian) makes a solution for this issue. He never gets on this forum though and doesn't have a website. :(

201 - 220 of 234 Posts