Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, since my semester is over, I've had lots of free time. I have been over dosing on episodes of House Hunters. And sometimes I'm a little appalled at the prices of homes elsewhere. I was wondering, since this is a pretty international forum, if you could all share what homes are going for in your area and then post pictures of the homes and give a little description.

I know it's not Fiat related but like I'm saying, I'm over dosing on free time that I have no idea what to do with. And please don't chew me up like what happened when I asked about demographics (hint, hint, Lorvar!).

I'll start off. I live in El Paso, TX, right across the border from Mexico. The city is mostly Hispanic and it has a population, I think of a little bit over 700,000. Fort Bliss is here so we have a lot of military activity here. The Franklin Mountains ran right in the middle of the city, so it's a beautiful view. Our university system (UTEP) is fantastic and is constantly expanding, and tuition is about 1/3 of what you pay in most universities. We were not heavily affected by the crash in the economy as much unfortunately, many other cities. There is a constant growth in the medical field, education, small business and construction. (wow, that was so unnecessary). It's affordable to live here.

Anyway, homes here are quite cheap. You can buy a brand new home, 3 bed, 2 bath, granite countertops, custom kitchens, tiled roof, etc. for about 150 k.

Just a few links:

http://bichomeselpaso.com/jose.html
http://bichomeselpaso.com/manuel.html
http://bellahomesusa.com/

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm technically a burb of DC. My house took a serious hit on value but nowhere near the hit taken in the surrounding counties. Houses here were 300-400k during the bubble. These are small houses. 1500sqft. Our unemployment rate is around 4% also vs. the national average.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Calgary is a city of over 1 million people with the primary industry being oil and gas related. The financial crisis had an impact here but not as severe as the US, and our house prices were not that high to begin with so price drops were minor and things are pretty stable now.

From the real estate service the last 30 days the average sales price of a home was $462,620 with the median being $394,000. For condos the average was $281,446 and the median was $257,000.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Bakersfield went from 350K for a median priced home now down to 160K for the same home. My town and Stockton was the worst hit In California.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
South Florida is one of the nations worst real estate areas. I'm lucky, we upgraded our house 2 years ago @ a 50% savings. Rent on my townhouse has gone up which we like.

Taxes and Insurance in Florida will make the market even worse. I pay 2.2% in property tax, and homeowners is 3x's the national average.

Sucks to be a Floridian!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can get a lot of house for the money in Texas and the economy is fairly stable. My wife is a nanny and the family she works for just built a 22,000 sq ft house....yes 22,000 sq ft, in Dallas, but we are talking gazillions. Ross Perot is their neighbor. I counted 9 garage doors and he has some awesome cars. Oh yeah a half court baskeball gym upstairs...must be nice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Our closest real town is Asheville, NC. Average price per square foot for Asheville NC was $132, a decrease of 0.8% compared to the same period last year. The median sales price for homes in Asheville NC for Sep 11 to Nov 11 was $170,000 based on 131 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price decreased 5.6%, or $10,000, and the number of home sales decreased 57%. There are currently 1,952 resale and new homes in Asheville, including 62 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process. The prices have dropped by about a third since 2008.

Luckily ours is paid for.

Cheers

·
Registered
794 Posts
My oh my. We're not really in the league of any of these figures. While others have seen house prices drop, ours went up by 17% last year and they did about 12% even after the real estate crunch. Not sure what an average price here is, but in Vancouver proper, there is not much in the way of single family houses for under one million. Yes, really, and yes, absolutely crazy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Why not simply post this topic in the 'Off Topic' forum - then you wouldn't have to begin your thread with an apology?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I live in a small town north of Toronto and the pricing of homes here have not been affected much if at all. Houses go on sale on our street and are sold within 2-3 days. I live in a 1460 Sq.Ft townhouse and I could easily put it on the market for $340,000 if I wanted to.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We live in Plymouth, Indiana, population 10,000, about 30 minutes south of South Bend (Notre Dame). A 3 bed 2 bath ranch style home averages about $150,000, And a 2 story 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath, averages about 225,000. Values have stayed steady with some slight increases over the last several years. Property taxes we pay $1600 a year and insurance is about $600. So I am happy where we are.

Although I wouldn't mind getting one of those 1/2 price Florida homes. I looked at a 4 bed 3 bath last year when I was there and it was the subdivision model home owned by the bank for only $99,000. It had a 3 car garage and a pool and only 1 hour south of Orlando. So a great location. I worried about whether or not it had that Chinese drywall that was such an issue down there so we didn't go for it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
here in Central Indiana, one can get a nice 3 bdrm, 2 ba home for anywhere from $100K to $135K. if you're really picky, you might have to step up to $150K. they range from 'new construction' to homes that are up to 40-50 years old. very nice variety.

our economy has been fortunate for the most part. not that everyone is employed and happy, but Indiana has been a State that historically has kept a good balanced budget and stayed on top of attracting new business here.

down side......it can get FREAKIN' COLD HERE in the winter and HOTTER THAN YOU KNOW WHAT in the summer. but other than that, we have all sorts of attractions like the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Triple A Indianapolis Indians Baseball, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Childrens Museum, Indianapolis Zoo, several wellknown hospitals and a plethora of other venues/attractions (notice I said NOTHING about our Colts! LOL).

so......"come to "Jamaica man".......SORRY, I meant INDIANAPOLIS! :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
here in Central Indiana, one can get a nice 3 bdrm, 2 ba home for anywhere from $100K to $135K. if you're really picky, you might have to step up to $150K. they range from 'new construction' to homes that are up to 40-50 years old. very nice variety.

our economy has been fortunate for the most part. not that everyone is employed and happy, but Indiana has been a State that historically has kept a good balanced budget and stayed on top of attracting new business here.

down side......it can get FREAKIN' COLD HERE in the winter and HOTTER THAN YOU KNOW WHAT in the summer. but other than that, we have all sorts of attractions like the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Triple A Indianapolis Indians Baseball, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Childrens Museum, Indianapolis Zoo, several wellknown hospitals and a plethora of other venues/attractions (notice I said NOTHING about our Colts! LOL).

so......"come to "Jamaica man".......SORRY, I meant INDIANAPOLIS! :D
I never thought I'd say this. I'm moving to Indiana. What is the property tax rate?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I never thought I'd say this. I'm moving to Indiana. What is the property tax rate?
varies from county to county. on our $140K home, our property taxes are approximately $900/yr. state sales tax is 7% .

income tax again depends on the county but really isn't bad at all. if not for the weather, this would be a PERFECT place to live. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
varies from county to county. on our $140K home, our property taxes are approximately $900/yr. state sales tax is 7% .

income tax again depends on the county but really isn't bad at all. if not for the weather, this would be a PERFECT place to live. :)
****! My taxes are over 6K Sales tax @ 6% no income tax though. Homeowners is over 4K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts