Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first test drive, red Sport, 5/speed manual. I wasn't expecting this car to be as fun as it drove, now I'm hooked and need to convince the wife :D I never start pricing threads in forums (Honest) but then again I never buy vehicles that are "the in car to have" thus often commanding MSRP or more than that until the demand dies off.

Reason I ask this is the dealer I visited today, although he was extremely helpful and allowed for a very through test-drive experience was pretty adamant that they have no intreats in selling the cars under MSRP. I can see the value in these cars after experiencing one today, and priced under $20K is fair for what you get. But everyone wants to get the best deal possible and I was wondering if anyone is getting these cars under MSRP or dare I say anywhere close to invoice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
MSRP. No more, no less.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also do not like paying MSRP, and let the sales manager know I was very interested, but he needed to let me believe I was getting a "deal". Before I sat down and and sipped my double espresso I had all the numbers -- trade value of my car, state and local taxes and fees, etc. as it turned out, I was looking at a red automatic Sport, a model he had quite a few of. I ended up getting a better than expected trade and the dealer waved the prep charges. So, I left feeling as though I'd gotten a good "deal".

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think there are a few on here that have gotten a bit under MSRP, but MSRP is the norm. Many people, though, have reported getting a better-than-average trade-in to compensate, or (like the Rev) getting the prep or destination charge dropped off.

For the record, I ordered mine way back in March, got it in April, and paid MSRP, including destination.

Some people, too, have gotten some freebies, like hats and mugs, key chains, stuff like that, not that it amounts to much. Also, it's always worth a call to FIAT Customer Service to ask about special offers. For awhile, FIAT was giving you something like $500-$1000 is accessories credit if you lived in the Great Lakes area, and a few people outside of that managed to get that after wheeling a little. Because of the newness of the car, some dealers aren't always in the loop on the latest specials.

If you've got a couple of dealers at your disposal, you can also try negotiating free oil changes for life, something like that. I think a few on here have done that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, looks like it's MSRP or you can see the door.

·
Registered
211 Posts
theres not a lot of markup in these cars, on a 21k msrp sport the dealer is making about 1500 tops, im fine with that. it will also keep resale and trade in higher. if they were selling 21k cars for 19k a used one with low miles would be 17k or lower. i may trade mine when the abarth gets here, but i dont know if its worth it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I asked and asked about lowering the MSRP but nope. I also asked if they offered any dealer discounts for being a student, etc. Nope. I tried.

What I did get was a great trade in value for my Smart (after about an hour of haggling). Honestly, I don't feel like I got a great deal on the Fiat 500 but I don't feel cheater either which is fair.

I think I paid around $19,500. With which my trade in it went down to like $17 something.

I didn't get a cool USB or stickers though. :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
The consumer reports new car buyer package says dealers only make $1000 per car on the 500. A good place to negotiate is in the inevitable add ons that make their way onto the invoice (admin, rust proofing ect) these can easily add over $1000 to the bottom line.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

There's a website called "TrueCar" that provides info on what cars are selling at. Unfortunately it doesn't always show all the options included. However, for my area it shows prices ranging from about $14,700 (3 purchases) to $17,000 (2 purchases) for a Pop (out of the 155 purchases listed). It also indicates that there was a $1000 incentive in September for my area that dropped the going price for the car, temporarily, but they have since come back up.

Overall they showed the average price as being

$16,203 for April
$16,159 for May
$16,061 for June
$15,996 for July
$15,929 for August
$15,832 for Sept
$15,899 for the 1st part of Oct

So overall there doesn't appear to have been a big fluctuation in prices over time (at least in my area).

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There's a website called "TrueCar" that provides info on what cars are selling at. Unfortunately it doesn't always show all the options included. However, for my area it shows prices ranging from about $14,700 (3 purchases) to $17,000 (2 purchases) for a Pop (out of the 155 purchases listed). It also indicates that there was a $1000 incentive in September for my area that dropped the going price for the car, temporarily, but they have since come back up.

Overall they showed the average price as being

$16,203 for April
$16,159 for May
$16,061 for June
$15,996 for July
$15,929 for August
$15,832 for Sept
$15,899 for the 1st part of Oct

So overall there doesn't appear to have been a big fluctuation in prices over time (at least in my area).

Regards

Pat
I don't live in the Midwest, but I got Fiat to send me the $500 I would have gotten if I did

·
Registered
61 Posts
A possible solution for a low cost Fiat 500...
We at HotFiat.com have been looking for a donor 500 for a race car. In our search we have found and purchased a Lounge and a Sport with very light damage. We are going to fix them and get them back on the road. The white Sport we hope to sell for about 12,500 or so and the red Lounge 15,800. They both will have salvage titles because when wrecked some parts were not yet available. The Sport has 1,700 mi the Lounge 32 miles. (Not a misprint)

·
Registered
341 Posts
A possible solution for a low cost Fiat 500...
We at HotFiat.com have been looking for a donor 500 for a race car. In our search we have found and purchased a Lounge and a Sport with very light damage. We are going to fix them and get them back on the road. The white Sport we hope to sell for about 12,500 or so and the red Lounge 15,800. They both will have salvage titles because when wrecked some parts were not yet available. The Sport has 1,700 mi the Lounge 32 miles. (Not a misprint)
That works well, up until the person needs to have warranty work done to their car, and they get denied at the dealer for having a car with a salvage title.

While they will save some money buying the car from you, they are going to be left hanging if they have a failure.

BC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is generally true. There are actually some dealers who will do service on branded title cars. Additionally there are those who can't afford a new car and will take a chance on a car with 32 miles on it even if it has a salvage title if they can get the car at a 50% discount. (Especially if they see before the fix photos to see it is lightly damaged)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I think that if the price is right a salvage titled car can be a reasonably good deal for an owner. A friend of mine bought a used Toyota with a slavage title and has been very happy with it.

In the end, I think it really seems to me to be an issue more of whether you are happy buying a low mileage used car that you know has had some repair work done. To me, buying any car has some risks, and if your comfotable buying used, I would think considering a car with a slavage title could be worth looking into, especially if it fits your budget better than some other options.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good perspective Pat. I've bought a couple of salvage cars over the years and have personally had great luck with them. You just have to be carful to know 3 things. Are all the lights functional when the key is turned on (this means lights like the airbags have not been disarmed). Don't buy flood cars because the computers may be messed up. And thirdly buy cars with light damage were the frames are still good. If you cover those three bases you can acquire some terrific deals.
Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts