Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to happen on my car around 85,000...when I had my fiat at the studio for a repair I was told the software update to fix it is only good until 80,000...I chose not to pay the stealership any more of my $ and am thinking of just putting electrical tape over it until my next deductible is taken for a future repair that is covered under my extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It means you are the first to get a Fiat 500 to that mileage and you've won a prize!

In all seriousness, I have no idea - probably a software glitch.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the odo flashing "fix" depends on why it's flashing.

Had mine start flashing on the weekend right after I had accidentally touched my disconnected negative cable to the negative battery terminal and got a brief spark. When I reconnected the battery and turned the ign on, the odo was flashing. Power cycled the car to no avail. So I disconnected the neg cable again, turned ign to on, depressed brake pedal for 15 seconds to drain system, turned ign off, then reconnected battery. No more odo flashing.

I've heard that some aftermarket stereo installs can also cause the odo to flash.

Also if you replace your cluster but enter a lower odo value than your orig cluster, the odo will flash.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bringing back an old thread because this just happened to me.

My odometer started blinking today at about 5,400 miles. No oil change message, no other lights/symbols. My car, stereo, and cluster are stock. No apparent reason for the blinking. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for a minute then re-connected. It seems to have stopped blinking. I will update if it starts again. I haven't had an oil change yet, but will mention this when I take it in for its first service.

·
Registered
169 Posts
After my big audio install/new pioneer radio last week my odometer began flashing as well. I learned to just ignore it. I could have the dealer fix it because I have a extended warranty, but since the new radio is the cause they'll charge me for it. But if anything else goes wrong it's free. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's a proxy alignment issue. The BCM expects to "talk" to the radio over CAN bus, if it's not the original radio and you don't put a CAN bus adapter, it will continue blinking.
In mcbrew case, not sure why it could had the issue, but as you mentioned it went away once you reset (by disconnecting the battery).
I had this problem myself with an aftermarket stereo with CAN adapter, it drove me nuts, till a member here told me how to set the dip switches correctly on the adapter!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've had that happen once or twice. No big deal. Pulled the negative lead to the battery, let it sit for 10 mins or so and after that it was fine. Hasn't happened again in years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Guy's and Ladies ,

I posted a fix for the flashing odometer sometime ago - It is a simple fix .

This works for me when I replaced my stock radio for a After Market Pioneer Double Din Radio.

1> Car is Off
2> Turn Key Accessory Mode but dont start the Car
3> Put the Hazard Lights on and then turn them off
4> Turn Key to Off Position
5> Take Key Out
6> Put Key Back in and ODO Mileage will stop flashing.

I hope this helps someone ......

Thanks.....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Agreed on the genius fix.

I'm curious. Other than a stereo fault code, is it the odometer that will flash when there is a serious problem? My car is in the shop for a trouble code and the tech said, "if the speedo isn't flashing, it's OK to drive". I think the odo will also flash when nearly out of gas? (I haven't pushed it that low on fuel.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bringing back an old thread because this just happened to me.

My odometer started blinking today at about 5,400 miles. No oil change message, no other lights/symbols. My car, stereo, and cluster are stock. No apparent reason for the blinking. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for a minute then re-connected. It seems to have stopped blinking. I will update if it starts again. I haven't had an oil change yet, but will mention this when I take it in for its first service.
Any update to this, McBrew? It just happened to me today, and mileage and other details are almost identical to yours. thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update to this, McBrew? It just happened to me today, and mileage and other details are almost identical to yours. thanks,
Hi, I had the same issue with my Linea Tjet (2012). This happend right after getting it serviced. Usually I service it from the dealer & they charge a lot of money. This time I went to an outside car service at half the price , but with this blinking ODO issue. Eventually, the Blue&Me wasn't working also. I followed the above steps......but with a little twist. I kept the ignition to "on" position, disconnected the negetive battery terminal, pressed the brakes to ensure no residue charge left in the system, re-consented negative terminal (while the ignition is still on). Came back , took out the key. Restarted the car, all blinking was gone, blue&me immediately connected.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Probably not true for all cases, but... This can happen is a battery is low, or has been disconnected. It is what Fiat calls a Proxy Alignment. Basically, one of three modules (the radio being one) is not communicating.

I disconnected the battery yesterday and drove the car about 200 miles today. It was flashing then stopped when I restarted the car. (This is the second time this has occurred, the first time when I had the car diagnosed for a different problem.) I'm taking the car to Fiat to have a Proxy Alignment done, next Tuesday.

2018 500, 5700 miles, all stock electrics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts