Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo (I've had it for about 6 months)

Had no issued on it till recently.....

I've been getting an intermittent message on the OD Car Reader - P1069 - Cylinder 2 Oil Supply Solenoid Valve Switch On Time Out of Range.

The engine light will periodically light up once I start the car as it runs choppy (almost like it's running on 2 cyclinders). When it does happen the engine sounds like it's not idling properly, engine light goes on and you will see white smoke when idling and or driving with no gumption/acceleration.

The odd part is if you turn off the vehicle and start it again the problem sometimes goes away. I suspect it's a solenoid that is stuck and I've been told it's referred to as a Multi Air Solenoid. In the interim, I'lll erase the error code.

Oil has been changed and new spark plugs have been added

Since then, it has and hasn't happened - A few times on a cold start it will fine but you can hear a skip on the idling as if it would like to "time out" but...... it doesn't happen (I think it's a matter of time)

Went to see a Fiat Mechanic who did the same - he used his car reader and got the same code. He's informed me that I need a new solenoid (which I suspect it's a multi Air Solenoid). What I can't believe is that he's telling me that the part is about $1200.00 (Canadian) - that doesn't include labour yet.

Is there other options for this that anyone can suggest

Anyone had this problem before?

How did this happen?

Is it bad that I'm driving this - what's next

I was so excited to get this car and now I feel that I purchased a lemon. Tell me that FIAT doesn't spell "Fix it againg Tony"

Any help or direction is appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses

J.B. - Yes the error code received based on my car reader (Innova 3100) states the code is P1069

Had an opportunity to review the links - thank you.
I actually read up on them prior - interesting read - The second link was interesting and I'm tempted on just buying that part.
If any other suggestions, I'm all ears - "IF" I end up spending all that money it seems like it's too much - not sitting well with me

Tedolph - thanks - I'll check your threads

Anyone else - so disappointed

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same error on my 2013 Abarth, only for cylinder 1. In the the morning, it ran poorly for about 3 minutes. Then straightened out. Then the error eventually added a misfire cylinder 1 code. My number 1 spark plug would be covered with oil and soot, fouled. The FIAT Dealer said the engine was likely bad. Long story short, the Multiair unit had failed. I suspect you have the same thing. There is also a Multiair filter in the front of the cylinder head behind the timing cover. It's a threaded in filter with a fine nylon screen. I was quoted roughly $2000 for the new Multiair unit installed. The piece itself was around $1300, IIRC? I found one in a wrecking yard in Colorado with 14K miles on it. Paid $200 for it but it arrived with the electrical connector for number 1 solenoid busted off. It was junk so got $100 back from the Wrecker. I bought a rotary grinder and ground the plastic away so I could splice into the solenoid wires. Did this on the solenoid and the connector. Soldered together, used clear JB weld epoxy to make them together and perfect. Replaced the multiair metal gasket, multiair filter, spark plugs and valve cover gasket. So about $200 and the hassle of repairing the broken connector. Car runs better than it ever has since I've owned it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same error on my 2013 Abarth, only for cylinder 1. In the the morning, it ran poorly for about 3 minutes. Then straightened out. Then the error eventually added a misfire cylinder 1 code. My number 1 spark plug would be covered with oil and soot, fouled. The FIAT Dealer said the engine was likely bad. Long story short, the Multiair unit had failed. I suspect you have the same thing. There is also a Multiair filter in the front of the cylinder head behind the timing cover. It's a threaded in filter with a fine nylon screen. I was quoted roughly $2000 for the new Multiair unit installed. The piece itself was around $1300, IIRC? I found one in a wrecking yard in Colorado with 14K miles on it. Paid $200 for it but it arrived with the electrical connector for number 1 solenoid busted off. It was junk so got $100 back from the Wrecker. I bought a rotary grinder and ground the plastic away so I could splice into the solenoid wires. Did this on the solenoid and the connector. Soldered together, used clear JB weld epoxy to make them together and perfect. Replaced the multiair metal gasket, multiair filter, spark plugs and valve cover gasket. So about $200 and the hassle of repairing the broken connector. Car runs better than it ever has since I've owned it.
My 2013 Pop 500 keeps getting the low oil pressure light too. Fiat says they got the P1068 and P106A codes for the cylinder 2 and 3 solonoid valves out of range. They checked the multiair oil actiator and said it wasn't clogged. The changed oil, and recommended a new multiair block ?? Had another garage look at it and they changed the multiair screen assembly. No help. 3rd garage says there a re some metal shavings in the newly changed oil and it needs a new engine. Seems like lots of guessing?? ALso, on occassion, when starting in 1st gear, at about 1800 rpm it starts chugging and have to shift up to 2nd. Than again at 1800-2000 rpm it chuggs/sputters ( like out of gas). ANy thoughts. Hopefully not guesses but actual experience with these issues. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts