Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Ikea and bought a Billy Bookcase. The box is 6'9" long and weighs about 75lbs. I thought there was no way this was going to fit in my little car. I pulled the headrests and reclined the passenger seat all the way down. Slid the box in through the trunk over top of the rear seat and put one end in the passenger footwell.

Like a glove! The trunk closed no problem. Even had a bit of room to spare.
I was impressed.:cool:

Needs a wash, it's been raining all week.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's why I have an Outback wagon. Not a big fan of taking my car apart for a delivery. Good to know you can do it, but being an old lazy retired guy I will always take the path of least resistance. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
That's great. Most people can't believe I hauled a full-sized porch rocker and matching side table in mine. I got $200US in groceries in it the other day and didn't even have to lower a seat. Not sure if that says more about the TARDIS-like capability of the car or the high price of food.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
along the same lines of 'what I fit into my 500 today', the past couple weeks I've hauled 6 bags of MULCH at one time, in the back with seats down.....of course.

all together, I probably hauled 15 to 20 bags in 3 or 4 trips. the car still handled well and didn't 'squat' as much as I had expected. I wonder if the Sport springs are that much stiffer?

·
Registered
145 Posts
O.K. enough! Save the "I brought home 2 giant Pandas" stories for the water cooler. Let's be realistic, the 500 is a very small car -- maybe not tiny, and granted the large hatchback feature is a plus, but it is still a very small car. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes, it's a very small car... that I was able to haul a rocker in, fer crissakes! Sure couldn't do that in my Honda. I also wouldn't be able to haul six bags of mulch in it.

No one is saying this thing will replace an F-150, just that it's amazing what it will haul.

I frequently get comments about not being able to carry my lunch in the car, things like that, so it's nice to brag a little and say, "Yeah, I just spent $300 at Sam's Club and it's all in there."

·
Registered
453 Posts
Exactly.

I didn't trade in my Dodge Grand Caravan because well, that thing has MORE capacity than most pickup trucks.

(AND the door still SHUT!)

But it also is lucky to get 16mpg around town. While my 500 isn't the best mpg in the world, it's easily the funnest high mpg I've ever seen or driven. I also manage to fit the following in my 500:
Myself
My 16yo son and school bag
My 12yo son with his school bag
My 12yo son's friend and his school bag
My 12yo son's violin in an abnormally large case
My 12yo son's football gear bag
My 12yo son's friend's football gear bag.

One of these days, I really need to get a pic/video of all that coming out of the car. Anyone who has a kid in middle school will know that a school bag is nothing to sneeze at these days. Also, anyone with a kid in football will know how much room that mesh bag full of pads and helmet takes up.

Would it be easier in my Caravan? Sure. Would it be as much fun? Nope. It would also cost double the fuel.

To be honest, though, I won't miss football season. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts