Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this Friday will mark the four week anniversary of when I placed $1,000 cash on the table at my local Fiat "Studio" to get the honor of ordering an Abarth. I was told by the "Studio" director that I might get the car by the end of April, or at least by the next track day they have scheduled on May 11. I got word from the salesman later that day that the Fiat Rep "allowed" my order to be placed and that we now wait to see if it gets picked up as part of their normal allocation. What I understood out of that was "bla, bla, bla", end of April or first part of May. I had no idea what he was saying when he said allocation. I gave them my money, they took it, they placed the order, they atrat building my car.

I kept asking the salesman for a VON, but he kept telling me there wasn't one yet. I finally called the "Studio" director two weeks after I placed the order. He gave me the VON. I entered it into VOTS and got a message saying there are no results for the info I entered. Emails to my salesman go unanswered...ignored. I'd go to another "Studio" but its kind of like I'm already in line at the bank, if I move to another line it will be even longer than the one I'm in now.

Thanks to FiatCares on this forum I found out that my order is in the BG status (order has passed edit but cannot be scheduled regardless of sold status) with a reason code of L (material restriction). No worries though because it would probably move along by the next week. Well, it hasn't moved at all. And, according to FiatCares the typical order takes 4-16 weeks. So, if I'm extremely lucky I might get the car in 4 weeks, but that's only if the stars and planets align just right and I stand on one foot and hold my mouth a certain way. I suspect my order will be one of those 16 week deals, if I'm lucky and only if the stars and planets align just right...

All I can think now is WTF!?!?! What is holding this up? I'd much rather be told the truth than to be led along like I'm some kind of sheeple. Are they out of cod nuts and can't bolt the cajones on the car or what?!?!?!

So this post is a bit of a rant, as you might be able to tell. But it is also a warning to anyone thinking about ordering an Abarth.

Here's my warning to customers, be prepared to be misled, to be in the dark, to be toyed with and to be waiting longer than you think you will. Basically, don't expect your Fiat experience to be any different than what most, if not all, other car companies do once they have your money in their pocket. I expected different and I have been schooled.

Here's my warning to Fiat, if you treat people like sh!t they will go elsewhere. And, the Abarth better live up to expectations.

My excitement over the Abarth is waning and I'm in the process of determining just how much more patience I have for a process that hasn't moved one bit in 4 weeks.

My hat is off to those of you who have waited even longer than me. You have a lot more patience than I do.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Impatient much? You placed an order or deposit only 4 weeks ago and think you will get the first batch? There are people who placed deposits in November. To clarify, did you buy the car(full amount on contract signed) or put a deposit on one?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Impatient much? You placed an order or deposit only 4 weeks ago and think you will get the first batch? There are people who placed deposits in November. To clarify, did you buy the car(full amount on contract signed) or put a deposit on one?
Impatient much? Only when lied to, misled and kept in the dark. As I stated, I'd be a lot more patient if they told me the facts. Did I say that I expected to be in the first batch? Uh, no.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Did I say that I expected to be in the first batch? Uh, no.
So what do you expect? You expected an order that was placed 4 weeks ago to be on some other status than what you found? That tells me you expect to be in the first batch. Ain't happening. The car has been on order lists for 5+ months, you'll just have to wait or get your refund.

·
Registered
182 Posts
First time buying a high demand limited production car? You are in a very long line my friend. Pounding the desk of the sales guy won't move the process any faster, nor would it be equitable to the enthusiasts waiting months already. You may be better off taking your $1000 CASH and moving to another brand (a stack of crisp new 20's as opposed to a check did not get you to the front of the Abarth line? Wow, that always works in the movies). It does not look like you are going to be happy no matter the outcome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree. Although my salesperson has been very good in trying to keep me informed, I too am getting upset.
I put a deposit down in November and I am still waiting. My car shows as being built, passed final inspection and put in 'storage' since 3/18. Latest update from Fiat Cares is that it will ship on April 6 if the stars all align correctly and that I should expect it to take 17 days to get to my dealer. No explanation of why it has been sitting in storage in Mexico for so long.
I wish now I had gone to Mini. Hopefully my mind will be changed back when I actually get the car...

Reactions: davidjon_99

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I agree. Although my salesperson has been very good in trying to keep me informed, I too am getting upset.
I put a deposit down in November and I am still waiting. My car shows as being built, passed final inspection and put in 'storage' since 3/18. Latest update from Fiat Cares is that it will ship on April 6 if the stars all align correctly and that I should expect it to take 17 days to get to my dealer. No explanation of why it has been sitting in storage in Mexico for so long.
I wish now I had gone to Mini. Hopefully my mind will be changed back when I actually get the car...
See, you have a reason to whine a bit, BUT to say you want a Mini doesn't show me you wanted something exclusive. We say the stupid things when frustration sets in. Mini? Really? LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First time buying a high demand limited production car? You are in a very long line my friend. Pounding the desk of the sales guy won't move the process any faster, nor would it be equitable to the enthusiasts waiting months already. You may be better off taking your $1000 CASH and moving to another brand (a stack of crisp new 20's as opposed to a check did not get you to the front of the Abarth line? Wow, that always works in the movies). It does not look like you are going to be happy no matter the outcome.
Perhaps if you read my post and not what others post about me you would understand that all I'm really wanting from Fiat is a bit more truth about where I am in the process. If they tell me end of April first of March, that's what I expect, plus or minus a little wiggle time. If they tell me June that would be fine too. At least be open and honest. By no means am I beating on any desk. I realize that gets you nowhere fast. What I expect form my $1000 cash is to be treated with a little more respect since I have, at this point, some skin in the game. At least they could return the one or two emails I've sent them in the last 4 weeks. How much time does that take? Maybe a minute. Whooo mister saleman you must be really busy since you just can't get around to replying to my email.

This is my first time buying a just released car. But even my buddies who have bought special edition Mustangs and Corvettes right after they released had a better understanding of where they were in the queue.

As my original post states, I take my hat off to those who have been waiting longer than I have. I respect their patience and don't want, nor do I expect, to cut in line in front of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Buying a first run limited production car is an exercise in patience. I am not justifying it on behalf of any car company, but just saying that the process is trying at best. If this were a high end, high dollar car it would amplify the situation 10x. The reward is being the first enthusiast to own and drive a very unique car. For some that makes it worth the wait, others not so much. I use the word enthusiast because if your not a true enthusiast, the frustration of the process just wont be worth it. It ain't for everyone. By the way, if you do move to the Mini, apart from everyone in the Abarth line behind you celebrating, avoid the new Coupe, my understanding is that you will just be back in a very long line in addition to paying another $10-15k over the Abarth. Good luck. If you wait it out I cant wait to hear how you like your new Abarth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buying a first run limited production car is an exercise in patience. I am not justifying it on behalf of any car company, but just saying that the process is trying at best. If this were a high end, high dollar car it would amplify the situation 10x. The reward is being the first enthusiast to own and drive a very unique car. For some that makes it worth the wait, others not so much. I use the word enthusiast because if your not a true enthusiast, the frustration of the process just wont be worth it. It ain't for everyone. By the way, if you do move to the Mini, apart from everyone in the Abarth line behind you celebrating, avoid the new Coupe, my understanding is that you will just be back in a very long line in addition to paying another $10-15k over the Abarth. Good luck. If you wait it out I cant wait to hear how you like your new Abarth.

Good post WLDTOPO and you are right. I really just needed to vent. I am looking forward to what I think will be a really fun car. I wish I saw some progress, but it will just take a little time. I'm just going to have to keep telling myself to just stop listening to the salesman and it will get here when it gets here. I do consider myself an enthusiast when it comes to this car. I've had a great fondness for Fiat ever since my mom had a '71 124 Spyder and I'm just really anxious.

I'm really not a fan of Mini. Just never took much of a liking to them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Perhaps if you read my post and not what others post about me you would understand that all I'm really wanting from Fiat is a bit more truth about where I am in the process. If they tell me end of April first of March, that's what I expect, plus or minus a little wiggle time. If they tell me June that would be fine too. At least be open and honest. By no means am I beating on any desk. I realize that gets you nowhere fast. What I expect form my $1000 cash is to be treated with a little more respect since I have, at this point, some skin in the game. At least they could return the one or two emails I've sent them in the last 4 weeks. How much time does that take? Maybe a minute. Whooo mister saleman you must be really busy since you just can't get around to replying to my email.

This is my first time buying a just released car. But even my buddies who have bought special edition Mustangs and Corvettes right after they released had a better understanding of where they were in the queue.

As my original post states, I take my hat off to those who have been waiting longer than I have. I respect their patience and don't want, nor do I expect, to cut in line in front of them.
Clearly one or two emails in 4 weeks did not do the trick. Pick up the phone and call your dealer, although if they are like my dealer they are likely getting 30 calls a day from people with deposits down asking when the Abarth is going to be here. A phone call will not speed up the process, but you may gain insight into where your at in the queue. Again, the buying of a limited production car is not for everyone. By the way, you can't compare buying 1 of x,000,000 limited production Vettes or Mustangs this year to waiting for the first Abarth to hit the streets in the US. Five years from now it's a different story, but right now getting the Abarth pipeline flowing is no small feat. If you do decide to cancel your order, nobody in the Abarth line behind you will begrudge you taking your CASH deposit back and buying something else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have placed my order the second week of March and I checked in yesterday to find out when my car order will be placed. I was informed that it should be in this next up coming allocation. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea. Realistically, I'm not expecting to get a car until June. To me, from my understanding of dealerships, all they do is sell cars. For the most part, after they get as much money as they can from you, you're pretty much at their mercy. Only the good manufacturers tend to have better customer service, i.e. Subaru.

But as far as switching to a Mini? I was also looking at a Mini John Cooper Works, but of course those tend to get a little pricey. But as far as exclusivity for the Abarth? This car is not a special/limited edition. This car is just another 500 model placed in the lineup. It may be presented as a "special" model, but not one where they were going to only sell, lets say 1000, in the US.

If there is one thing you can give credit to Mini for is how they keep you informed about the production of your vehicle. I was told by the dealers that they will send you postcards of your Mini being built through the production line as if you were watching your baby grow up until you can pick it up at the dealership. Now that's pretty cool in my book. It's not necessary, but that sort of thing separates one manufacturer from the next.

Don't get me wrong, the car's performance will have the ultimate say, but it can't hurt. I can do without the postcards and just have some text on a webpage telling me where my car is in production, but ultimately I guess you have to live by the old adage of, "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If there is one thing you can give credit to Mini for is how they keep you informed about the production of your vehicle. I was told by the dealers that they will send you postcards of your Mini being built through the production line as if you were watching your baby grow up until you can pick it up at the dealership. Now that's pretty cool in my book. It's not necessary, but that sort of thing separates one manufacturer from the next.

Don't get me wrong, the car's performance will have the ultimate say, but it can't hurt. I can do without the postcards and just have some text on a webpage telling me where my car is in production, but ultimately I guess you have to live by the old adage of, "You get what you pay for."
Nothing like paying an extra $10-$15000 grand for a postcard. Mini's are not perfect cars. They have numerous amount of issues, especially transmissions. Yes, you get what you pay for. I guess people like taking it up the rear at their dealerships.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have placed my order the second week of March and I checked in yesterday to find out when my car order will be placed. I was informed that it should be in this next up coming allocation. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea. Realistically, I'm not expecting to get a car until June. To me, from my understanding of dealerships, all they do is sell cars. For the most part, after they get as much money as they can from you, you're pretty much at their mercy. Only the good manufacturers tend to have better customer service, i.e. Subaru.

But as far as switching to a Mini? I was also looking at a Mini John Cooper Works, but of course those tend to get a little pricey. But as far as exclusivity for the Abarth? This car is not a special/limited edition. This car is just another 500 model placed in the lineup. It may be presented as a "special" model, but not one where they were going to only sell, lets say 1000, in the US.

I am calling it a day. Stating that the Abarth is "not a special/limited edition. This car is just another 500 model placed in the lineup." just makes my head hurt. Anybody want to take up the baton and explain to monkeyman the difference between a standard 500 and the Abarth edition? Or that making a very limited number of anything by definition makes it a special or limited edition? I guess where I am confused is why are you allegedly buying an Abarth? Step out of line and let someone buy the Abarth who really wants it. I am out and done.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am calling it a day. Stating that the Abarth is "not a special/limited edition. This car is just another 500 model placed in the lineup." just makes my head hurt. Anybody want to take up the baton and explain to monkeyman the difference between a standard 500 and the Abarth edition? Or that making a very limited number of anything by definition makes it a special or limited edition? I guess where I am confused is why are you allegedly buying an Abarth? Step out of line and let someone buy the Abarth who really wants it. I am out and done.
I'm out too, don't have the strength today to beat down some more inconsistencies.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My hat is off to those of you who have waited even longer than me. You have a lot more patience than I do.
We have patience because we value the car we are purchasing. :)

No one is happy to be waiting. You think the dealers know any more than you do? Consider that Abarth demand has already topped sales expectations (or so they say) for the entire year, so many of us will be waiting a long while. Good things are worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I can't wait for the Abarth to be released so threads like this will end.... For the most part people live in a "fast food mentality" and want everything now. The only problem is a cheeseburger is different from a limited, custom built car.

Reactions: GoGurt321

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, if you find me the information that says that the Abarth is a limited edition, then I'll say I'm wrong. Now a limit on the number of cars they are going to release to introduce the model is different. My point is they are going to make this car in the future and it's not just a one time release. I was just saying that the exclusivity of the car has been over played by the dealerships to get people to put in a deposit so they can guarantee sales so they can justify Fiats existence in the US despite their slow sales of the regular 500 from the beginning. Don't let your head get caught in the clouds and up play your purchase as if you're part of some exclusive club because you will have one.

And why am I getting an Abarth? I figure it's a cheap, fun, commuter car, that in case I roll it over on the street somewhere, I won't cry as if I ruined a Ferrari. And apparently as a bonus, it will make guys like you upset that I own one which hopefully just ruins your warm fuzzy feelings about owning such an "exclusive car".

·
Registered
56 Posts
My biggest question here is why are you on this forum? A forum is a place for people to come to and talk about something they have a passion for or a respect for, you want an Abarth so you can say you have one, and a fun car? If you want something like that just take your money somewhere else and buy something off the shelf, if you want to order something, then order it and wait like everyone else. The dealer cannot give you more information because they don't have it. It is plain and simple like that, the dealers are kept very much in the dark about this, and my dealer when I ordered mine told ME straight up that it is a waiting game for these cars with Fiat doing whatever they want with them.

That being said for those who care, which we all know someone doesn't, from what they told me fiat is trying to get all of the first run cars to be released in the same time period, somewhere between 4-5 days. They have stored all cars that have been through production and are going to stagger shipping so the cars are released on the same day throughout the united states. So the dealers in Texas and places close to Mexico are going to be shipped after the ones that have to travel farther. From what I was told it could POSSIBLY be delivered around April 20-25, but that is the most recent update from my dealer, that is subject to change at any moment with little or no notice. My dealer also told me that after a conference call with fiat they will have more information, and that call should come today, however i haven't gotten a call yet so I am assuming it hasn't happened yet.

Either way I have my deposit down, I have seen that my car is getting built, and when I get it, I get it. Ohh and a little side note, My dealer did tell me that the 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth will be a LIMITED PRODUCTION car, meaning they will set a number, and ONLY make that many this year. Obviously we cannot say what they will do in the future, if you can do that please tell me some powerball numbers and I will be happy to claim the prize. And for all those enthusiasts out there, stick with it, I think it will be well worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hey, if you find me the information that says that the Abarth is a limited edition, then I'll say I'm wrong. Now a limit on the number of cars they are going to release to introduce the model is different. My point is they are going to make this car in the future and it's not just a one time release. I was just saying that the exclusivity of the car has been over played by the dealerships to get people to put in a deposit so they can guarantee sales so they can justify Fiats existence in the US despite their slow sales of the regular 500 from the beginning. Don't let your head get caught in the clouds and up play your purchase as if you're part of some exclusive club because you will have one.

And why am I getting an Abarth? I figure it's a cheap, fun, commuter car, that in case I roll it over on the street somewhere, I won't cry as if I ruined a Ferrari. And apparently as a bonus, it will make guys like you upset that I own one which hopefully just ruins your warm fuzzy feelings about owning such an "exclusive car".
Nice.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts