Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the car back (yesterday) and the bill was $2083.00. I am happy to be back in the seat and drive it again. I really missed those 6500 rpm shift points! The Mitsubishi Outlander was an automatic and would never approach its redline, as indicated on the tachometer.
The noise for me was when any pressure was put on the pedal. Just resting your foot on the pedal would be enough pressure. It was less when the pedal was fully depressed, and that is how it was when I started the car. In traffic, I would ease out of gear and only depress it when needed.
The pictures really indicate the condition the system was in. The impression I have now is shifting gears is fun! The clutch pedal feels very light and I am pleased with the result.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi, all, I am happy to report that Malena responds like a new car. The timing belt/water pump repair last month and the new clutch repair were tested on my vacation these last 8 days.
After the time in the Bay area, I drove towards Las Vegas on I-15. I was in a traffic jam for 2+ hours going over Halloran Pass. Stop and go, the natural idle in first gear is 4mph. All the other cars were automatics and their idle speed was 3mph. I had to create a gap before i could advance and still had a 1mph closure rate every time they came to a stop.
As I left Las Vegas and headed to Spokane, another test was made, this time on the engine. Some long climb on some highway, 65 mph, 3rd gear, 5000 rpm, cruise on, 5+ miles and no problem.
Another surprise from all the work was 1-2 gear changes could chirp the tires. Great hook up between the engine, clutch and transmission.
3500+ miles, 42 mpg and I had a great time visiting family and friends all over 6 Western states: California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Washington and finally Oregon.
Now, it's back to the work routine.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's great to hear all is well once again. Yeah, traffic jams are the only time I miss the auto in my Ranger. Of course, with it, the idle speed carries it along at 12 MPH, so I'm constantly dragging the brakes. For the Fiat I usually get it rolling, shift to neutral and coast.

That's a great trip and glad you can enjoy your car worry free.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts