Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned a part that can fail, but is supposedly only fixed by replacing the entire propulsion battery pack. I think maybe it's some sort of relay or contactor, but I can't find where it was mentioned.

I may have found a reasonably-priced extended warranty that actually covers our cars' needs, but I'm getting them to confirm coverage of specific parts (like PIM, DC/DC converter, etc.) & would like to confirm the above part too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, I would like to find an affordable extended warranty that covers all things electrical. Electric motor, inverter, on board charger, air conditioning compressor, etc.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, but what the heck is the name of that relatively small part that someone had fail (under factory warranty) & the dealer said they had to replace the whole battery pack?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anything in the battery pack failing will cause any FCA dealer to replace the whole pack. They do not consider the battery pack to be a serviceable item. Just about all EVs are the same. In Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, the battery packs are potted, and there is no way to non-destructively disassemble the battery pack. The 500e is a pretty straightforward system, and can be pretty easily disassembled. However, FCA will not sell any internal parts to repair the pack. The only way to get parts is from a salvage yard, and I have no idea how to find a salvage yard that has 500e parts, or if even they would open up a battery pack.

·
Registered
147 Posts
recently a youtube video was posted where a guy dissasembles the pack and explains most of what's in it. I suggest watching that video.
Mostly it's the BMS and associated control/monitoring modules. the HV contactors are also technically part of the pack.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I think "contactors" is what had been mentioned as "part of the pack", but I think they said they were NOT covered by the battery pack warranty, so if they go bad, you have to PAY to replace the whole pack. In that case, I wonder if an extended warranty would even help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts