Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
Thanks for the pics. There's so much dirt that I can't quite tell for sure if the old one is sealed, or just "shielded*" (which would explain the premature failure). Can you confirm that the original part has a rubber seal, contacting both the inner & outer bearing races?

*Metal, covering very nearly all of the opening, but not actually contacting the surface to fully seal out dirt/moisture.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I believe you'll find that dull ring on the inside of the bearing aligns with your ABS sensor. The front wheel bearing (which is pressed out/in) contains a sensor ring. For the rear, I think that dull ring, attached to the inside of the hub, is your sensor (tone) ring.

On some cars they look like a cog, or a bracelet. On the Fiat (and other new cars) they are a closed ring. The advantage of the Fiat design is they don't corrode. The models like below can become filled with dirt and/or corrode partially away, causing ABS errors. Shown is the tone ring style on some older cars... the lighter silver cog.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the pics. There's so much dirt that I can't quite tell for sure if the old one is sealed, or just "shielded*" (which would explain the premature failure). Can you confirm that the original part has a rubber seal, contacting both the inner & outer bearing races?

*Metal, covering very nearly all of the opening, but not actually contacting the surface to fully seal out dirt/moisture.
On the inboard side, there's a rubber outside seal (see the third picture in my previous post, I've pushed away some dirt for the rubber to become visible).
On the outboard side, there's no seal (except the metal cap on the hub assembly, which should seal it pretty well). Also the original bearing itself seems to be two-part, and once I turn the hub around, one of the parts falls down, which might indicate wear. Here are two more pictures.

The ABS sensor is next to the hub, and the inboard ring of the hub has a magnet for the sensor to work.

Also, from what it looks like, the rear brakes don't have a lot to do in this vehicle, as the rotors and pads are barely worn.

IMG_20200222_202224.jpg IMG_20200222_202233.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
730 Posts
Okay, so I've took everything apart and put the new bearings in (decided to do both rear). The roar is gone, it took around 3 hours for both. For a more experienced person, it's a one-hour job.

Here are my discoveries:
  1. The originals were sealed, but there was a lot of muck on the inboard side, so maybe some of the dust got in.
  2. The trickiest part was to remove the cap over the hub nut - you need to work around with a flat screwdriver and a hammer.
  3. Don't trust pictures from MOOG - the photos in their website suggest that the bearing is actually SKF, but in reality the bearings are made in China and look exactly like More Information for MEVOTECH H512480 (first I thought sending them back to Rockauto, but then decided to install them anyway).
Pictures below:

View attachment 108344 View attachment 108345 View attachment 108346
This is common practice in the aftermarket parts industry when you don't actually make parts. Companies like Beck-Arnley, Moog, Doorman, all just are parts that are labeled as such they take surplus stuff sometimes from oem makers sometime from off brands etc to labeled them as their own sublet, it is totally a hit or miss. Bearing related stuff I only trust NSK, NTN, SKF, or Koyo. I once tried Timken and was disappointed when bearings said made in China on the side.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Moog bearings are made in 16 countries. Where it's made isn't as important as quality control and materials used. Looking at a bearing from the outside (seeing that it looks like a competitor's part) isn't an accurate comparison. China can make high quality products, but they also make junk, some sold in counterfeit packaging.

Examples: NSK now makes bearings in several countries, including China. SKF also has several countries, including India... and are combating counterfeits of their product.

If you receive your Moog bearings in their original box, the end label indicates the country of manufacture.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
730 Posts
Moog bearings are made in 16 countries. Where it's made isn't as important as quality control and materials used. Looking at a bearing from the outside (seeing that it looks like a competitor's part) isn't an accurate comparison. China can make high quality products, but they also make junk, some sold in counterfeit packaging.

Examples: NSK now makes bearings in several countries, including China. SKF also has several countries, including India... and are combating counterfeits of their product.

If you receive your Moog bearings in their original box, the end label indicates the country of manufacture.
Except Moog doesn’t make majority of what’s offered today the my are simply repackaged parts from other suppliers similar to how your regular auto parts stores house brands. I’ve had “duralast” stuff made in Japan most likely from oe suppliers, same with many of Beck Arnley stuff I’ve gotten in the past it’s a lot more complicated these days.

This is very similar to the battery market,there is only like a dozen battery makers for cars yet hundreds of brands out these most come from Johnson controls, some exide, some yuasa, Panasonic, Furukawa, Varta just time make a few.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Except Moog doesn’t make majority of what’s offered today the my are simply repackaged parts from other suppliers similar to how your regular auto parts stores house brands. I’ve had “duralast” stuff made in Japan most likely from oe suppliers, same with many of Beck Arnley stuff I’ve gotten in the past it’s a lot more complicated these days.

This is very similar to the battery market,there is only like a dozen battery makers for cars yet hundreds of brands out these most come from Johnson controls, some exide, some yuasa, Panasonic, Furukawa, Varta just time make a few.
Yep. I got a nice Moog package with fancy stickers and whatnot. Except the part was not like the one in the pictures of their website, and the box said "Made in China".

If you want to know what you will be getting, it's better to go with a manufacturer, like the SKF in that instance. Lesson learnt :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
See if your parts last... that's the test. I'm not sure if "Made in India" is better... just depends on plant/mfgr quality control. Moog has manufactured in Shanghai for the last 23 years and some of their highest tech products come thru that plant. EBay, and unreliable i-net sources, used to sell a lot of fake products (maybe still do?)... but Moog itself does not "repackage from other suppliers".

I know eBay used to be the leading seller of bogus products. I got caught by a few scams in the past. They seem to be doing a better job these days.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I
See if your parts last... that's the test. I'm not sure if "Made in India" is better... just depends on plant/mfgr quality control. Moog has manufactured in Shanghai for the last 23 years and some of their highest tech products come thru that plant. EBay, and unreliable i-net sources, used to sell a lot of fake products (maybe still do?)... but Moog itself does not "repackage from other suppliers".

I know eBay used to be the leading seller of bogus products. I got caught by a few scams in the past. They seem to be doing a better job these days.
I think they do to some degree the last 4 or 5 U joints I ordered for a customer were spicers which is a good brand no doubt but they ain’t Moog despite being in Moog boxes.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,385 Posts
just depends on plant/mfgr quality control
That reminds me of a funny story about famously-high-quality British Sturmey Archer. After selling out to overseas (China, I think) quality-contol was actually better because they hadn't yet learned how much they could really get away with, like the longterm Brits had!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, an update after 20K kilometres. At least one of the MOOG bearings has failed and there's a roar again. Considering it was Chinese cr*p, this should not be surprising.

This time I'll try F-A-G which should be made in Germany.

·
Registered
730 Posts
So, an update after 20K kilometres. At least one of the MOOG bearings has failed and there's a roar again. Considering it was Chinese cr*p, this should not be surprising.

This time I'll try F-A-G which should be made in Germany.
Kinda surprised as someone else noted the Moog boxed hub/bearing combo is made by SKF was inside. SKF is very good brand of bearings, most German car makers use that as oem equipment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It was not made by SKF. Rockauto had pictures which looked like SKF, but in reality it was this:

The obvious visual difference between this and SKF is the seal. Also, the factory bearing looked to be SKF (again, based on the markings and the inboard seal).

My guess is that MOOG is buying different batches from different manufacturers. So I'm not taking chances again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It was not made by SKF. Rockauto had pictures which looked like SKF, but in reality it was this:

View attachment 109500

The obvious visual difference between this and SKF is the seal. Also, the factory bearing looked to be SKF (again, based on the markings and the inboard seal).

My guess is that MOOG is buying different batches from different manufacturers. So I'm not taking chances again.
Sounds like what companies like Beck Arnley does just buys excess stock wether it’s oem or aftermarket.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got the bearings, did the repair. This is how the MOOG bearing looked like after less than 20K kilometres: rust on the inner race, dirt got in through the seal -

The sound of the failed bearing only became apparent when I took off the wheels and brakes.

And this is how a F-A-G bearing (new looks like). Made in Slovakia, not Germany, the seal is not ideal, but we'll see how it lasts. It certainly looks better than the previous one.

One good thing in this was that Rockauto at least seems to honor the MOOG warranty, although it's not straightforward: they asked me to buy new parts with same code, then send in the old ones and they would reimburse me, including shipping.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Perhaps slather some thick bearing grease on the surface grooves to have a barrier against the elements?

Reactions: fiatatat
21 - 40 of 40 Posts