Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
But all you really need to do is put it in drive in advance, & hold the brake with your left foot, so there's no delay between releasing that & flooring the accelerator.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
But all you really need to do is put it in drive in advance, & hold the brake with your left foot, so there's no delay between releasing that & flooring the accelerator.
yeah I guess what I'm really looking for is a limited slip differential. I may have to face that it is what it is to some extent. There are cars that offer these things....

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Sure, but my aftermarket tires with only slightly better grip than stock* don't even spin when floored from a dead stop going straight on smooth flat clean dry pavement. Good, grippy tires would of course leave even less need for a limited slip diff.

*Stock tires have very poor traction, so even my nearly-generic all-seasons are much better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You're not kidding about the tire shredding though. Mine has walked through a set of Firestone Firehawks pretty quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is there a tutorial for running wobble bolts to get 4x 98 mm to 4x100? That's the stock size 4x98mm? I'll have to read some FAQs but that seems to be the play here.

I may just properly bore out whatever needed for a better selection. What's the hub bore on these beasts? I'm guessing it will take some math to order a proper set of hub-centric rings.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
I don't trust the accuracy of the parts listing, because it shows multiple choices of springs and shocks for the 500e. Also, if the 500e uses the same suspension parts as the Pop, what would explain being heavier but having a larger wheel gap?

Edit: I noticed that all the same parts are listed for the Abarth as well.
Springs are intensionally longer for safety clearance for the battery pack you can make springs in any length without altering rates, I just think the springs are taller then gasser ones. If I had to guess the car is about 0.7-0.8” higher wheel gap wise then the gas models where it creates a illusion of lower comes from the valence and side skirts that come down lower then gasser ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah I schtoinked the battery section turning into a parking lot today. I could feel it like tag the asphalt right under me. Looks fine I can see a scratch.

I'm almost sure a lot of the height increase is in the spring and maybe a few plates in the body. That's probably about it. The extra height is definitely to protect the battery pack you can tag that thing pretty hard I'm guessing.

If you drop this car you may scrape more than your exhaust.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
Yeah I schtoinked the battery section turning into a parking lot today. I could feel it like tag the asphalt right under me. Looks fine I can see a scratch.

I'm almost sure a lot of the height increase is in the spring and maybe a few plates in the body. That's probably about it. The extra height is definitely to protect the battery pack you can tag that thing pretty hard I'm guessing.

If you drop this car you may scrape more than your exhaust.
Yea thats one of my concerns about lowering, so far only things i hear scrape pretty regularly is that rubber air dam thing in the front, otherwise i never scrape on driveways or speed bumps. Im planning on lowering mine this weekend and hope its not too bad, a few of the shopping places i visit has pretty tall speed bumps and i go there to L2 charge and shop.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Got these used from a fellow 500e guy in Tustin area for cheap, got around to it today, took me about 2.5hrs start to finish without a manual or prior experience. To those doing the rear springs take note to unhook the e brake cable from the C clamp bracket On both sides you could potentially damage it if you attempt to forcefully push the axle down to take original springs out. Surprised no one mentions it on a 500 install. Looks great once installed, I took it for a short drive around the neighborhood and a quick jaunt on the freeway and it rides so far okay, a little pogoey but that’s probably to be expected from a car with really short wheel base and light weight. As a pro I lined the upper mounts with some silicone grease and that pesky popping noises my car made no longer exists.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Thanks for the report!

I wouldn't let it off the hook so easily. An MR2 Spyder wheelbase is only 6" longer, with no "pogo" at all. The stock 500e seems almost dangerously under-damped even with OEM spings, let alone anything stiffer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the report!

I wouldn't let it off the hook so easily. An MR2 Spyder wheelbase is only 6" longer, with no "pogo" at all. The stock 500e seems almost dangerously under-damped even with OEM spings, let alone anything stiffer.
You realize 6” is a huge huge wheelbase difference right? I don’t even think a Corolla vs Camry isn’t that big of a difference between them and they ride immensely better in the Camry despite both being on the global TNGA platform. When I had the MR2 Spyder it had blown shocks so I can’t comment on the ride stock but I put in some high end HSD race coil overs with custom spring rates and 32 way adjustable valving compression and rebounding and it railed corners with authority. Plus being a featherweight 2035lbs helps a lot, I’d go up to GMR mountains twice a week to hassle the mighty evo guys who can’t use 600HP in a tight corners. They run from me in the straights but I’d be right back on their a$$ in the hairpins.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Ok, so 6" is "a lot", but I still say the problem is it's very under-damped, however maybe not so much for its springs, as for its weight:

I keep forgetting how heavy it is since it's SO quick & corners nearly as flat as my MR2 (although that's not saying all that much). 500e is the first car I've had that's so heavy that some stock-size tires won't take the weight!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ok, so 6" is "a lot", but I still say the problem is it's very under-damped, however maybe not so much for its springs, as for its weight:

I keep forgetting how heavy it is since it's SO quick & corners nearly as flat as my MR2 (although that's not saying all that much). 500e is the first car I've had that's so heavy that some stock-size tires won't take the weight!
Well I will say that there is some room for improvement you can’t change the wheelbase and short wheelbase cars ride harsher simply because there’s not a lot of time between the axles to settle over bumps. Kinda like back in the day Toyota made a super short wheel base van where you sit over the front wheel as opposed to between it that can ride horribly like a bad sea saw. Drive a 2 door mini vs the longer 4 door variant despite being built on the same chassis the longer wheelbase makes the car ride night and day difference and it’s like only 3” longer wheelbase.

speaking of weight, my almost 1.5x as long VW Golf Sportwagen is only a paltry 69lbs heavier then the tiny electric Fiat but my gosh does it ride100x nicer despite almost the same curb weight. And it’s lowered with coilovers and 40 series tires still rides posh, probably has to do with the extra 13” of wheelbase 😂

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don’t think I’ll clear a typical speed bump it’s like 2” off the ground from the HV battery 😳 from rear and side view

21 - 34 of 34 Posts