Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the Abarth is being sold and we see more of them in the roads, will people still want the regular 500 models? I figure the Abarth will get good mpg but not as much as the regular 500's. And there are plenty of drivers who are more into mpg than speed performance. Do you think the entire 500 line will still sell well?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the entire 500 line will sell well. Lots of Mazdaspeeds, SE-Rs, GTs, SSs, SRT-8s, and the like. The other models still outsell the fancier ones.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
If the Abarth was out when I was buying I would have chosen it without a doubt, if not for the large loss I'd trade my Sport without hesitation, mods and all. Kinda like to find someone to take over payments but not likely to happen. I figure the entire line will fair fine but myself, I'd definitely think it'll be more difficult to move non Abarths.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put a deposit down on an Abarth in March 2011 & I've never even thought about any other version. For myself, I love the look of the car but I wanted more power...much more power. After about 14 months, I should finally complete a very unnatural act for me ... delayed gratification.

So, in my case, it's all they could sell me. However, my wife has her eye on a Pop convert. So the halo car will sell the "normal" cars... just not too me. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Keep in mind that many people looking at the 500 are going to be looking for an less expensive car. When you consider that you can get a 500 with all the fun of my car (sans convertible of course) for 16-17k, the 24k I paid is pretty far off (of course the "true" cost was closer to 22,500 when I factor in the insane trade in I got), but still. With an Abarth coming in at about 25k, theres just not a lot of cross over between 16k car shoppers and 25k car shoppers. Just look at all the new Ford Mustangs on the road these days...most of them are the V6 versions...not the more expensive performance V8 models.

I patiently await the Abarth convertible.....ok not so patiently :)

Reactions: PFVA63

·
Registered
700 Posts
hmmm 12900 for a pop fully loaded sorry not interested in the arbarth..but just watch the prices go up with popularity
the deals will also go away like the zero% financing dont think you will get that with the arbarth

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was disinterested in the regular 500s from the start. I had always been passionate for their arrival, but not really determined to own any other version besides the Abarth. I'm a little disappointed it arrived this early. (I was actually HOPING for a 2013 release). Financially, I'm just not ready. :( Let's hope the best for my target purchase date of my birthday in November (Scorpion car for the Scorpio sign). ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that's a lot of replies. Sorry I didn't come back to reply sooner. I know my original post may look like a generic one just for the sake of starting a topic. But it really is something I was wondering about. And I do see a nice split in the replies, those who want the Abarth and those who still like the regular 500's.

And yes the price will be a big factor I'm sure. With a difference of about $10K, U.S. I myself am definitely looking to get a car somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. I don't see myself spending more than $20,000 on a car, at least any time soon.

I still have to sell my truck, which I'm so over and won't miss. I won't miss its 16/20 mpg.

The manual Fiat 500 gets nearly twice that much! And I've seen posts by people saying they sometimes got over 40 mpg! I assume there is a display on the odometer that tells you your current mpg. I didn't think to check that out when I did a test drive.

I just wonder if the Abarth will get around the same fuel economy when the speed and RPMs are moderate, compared to the regular 500's. Or will it eat a bit more gas? I don't have the expert knowledge to know. I just assumed a faster engine will use more fuel.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I put a deposit down on an Abarth in March 2011 & I've never even thought about any other version. For myself, I love the look of the car but I wanted more power...much more power. After about 14 months, I should finally complete a very unnatural act for me ... delayed gratification.

So, in my case, it's all they could sell me. However, my wife has her eye on a Pop convert. So the halo car will sell the "normal" cars... just not too me. :)
This is me 100%. I have no interest in the Sport, Pop or Lounge. Not because they look bad or anything- I think they look good but because of a lack of power.

Wow, that's a lot of replies. Sorry I didn't come back to reply sooner. I know my original post may look like a generic one just for the sake of starting a topic. But it really is something I was wondering about. And I do see a nice split in the replies, those who want the Abarth and those who still like the regular 500's.

And yes the price will be a big factor I'm sure. With a difference of about $10K, U.S. I myself am definitely looking to get a car somewhere between $10,000 and $15,000. I don't see myself spending more than $20,000 on a car, at least any time soon.

I still have to sell my truck, which I'm so over and won't miss. I won't miss its 16/20 mpg.

The manual Fiat 500 gets nearly twice that much! And I've seen posts by people saying they sometimes got over 40 mpg! I assume there is a display on the odometer that tells you your current mpg. I didn't think to check that out when I did a test drive.

I just wonder if the Abarth will get around the same fuel economy when the speed and RPMs are moderate, compared to the regular 500's. Or will it eat a bit more gas? I don't have the expert knowledge to know. I just assumed a faster engine will use more fuel.
Nope. It gets less MPG. That is normal and expected with a higher performance engine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

I kind of agree with MikeThinks and others, above. I'm sure that interest in the Abarth will help drive up interest in other models as well, but overall I think that there is, and will continue to be, a lot of interest in the other models anyway.

Over the last week or so, I've noticed an upswing in people asking me about my car, and most of those discussions have revolved around, what its like to drive, how efficient is it, &/or how expensive is it (and most of these discussions have been with older male drivers).

In general, to me, that's kind of given me the impression that there are likely a fair number of people out there looking for costs and efficiency, especially as gas prices continue to rise, so I'd expect that interest in the lower priced models would remain relatively strong. :)

Pat

·
Registered
582 Posts
If I had a bigger garage and could afford to keep my Lounge as well as my Abarth then I would. For everyday use I don't find the 500 lacks power at all with the sport mode on for its class.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If anything I think, with limited production numbers, no test drives (my dealer), mark ups (my area) and considering the competition I think either A) People will settle and get the standard 500, or B) Go to another brand for the most part.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Not everyone wants high performance. Conveniences and design are the factors. The Fiat is just that different to grant it attention. If I didn't have two kids, I might consider selling my Quattro, but it's hard to let go of something that has been good to me and has the power that I already have. After all the mods I've done on the 500, I can honestly say I take it out 90% of the time over the Audi. I swear, I never turn on the radio just so I can listen to the intake and exhaust. It's just that fun and a head turner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.