Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to hear some ideas on which exhaust I should go with. I work at a Fiat studio, so I can get the Mopar one at dealer cost and super cheap install, so there would be a cost advantage to going with that. But are some of the others significantly better?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The mopar exhaust is just an axle back if I'm not mistaken ? I had a good shop in my city make me a custom magnaflow cat back and it only costed me$350

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does sound great... and yes, it's an axle back. I'm not the biggest expert in these things... and haven't really seen any performance numbers anywhere on them. Just wondering if I'd be better off going another route, or if I should go with the Mopar one considering the cost advantage

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The mopar axle back is still quite pricey considering it's only an axle back. Not to mention the tip is ugly on it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah. my first comment on it was... the tip looks ridiculous. but it does sound great. and I could get it at dealer cost with basically free installation. just wondering if it would be worth it to go with something like a magnaflow. Which would be more than double my cost. also kind of thinking i might want the abarth when it finally arrives... in which case i shouldn't spend a ton now on something i won't get my money back on.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yeah I think thats the situation a lot of us are in. Ive heard so many things about the abarth pricing I figured im just going to do what I want with my 500 in terms of mods and if the abarth retail pricing is right I may sell my 500. Im assuming the coilovers and wheels will transfer over anyways which are the 2 most expensive mods anyways

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm going to sit on the sidelines for a bit and see how the "market" plays out... Not necessarily due to the prices, but more out of curiosity of which companies are going to produce an exhaust for the car and what the sound characteristics of each are.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Getting Borla installed today. I am excited to get this done! I have heard the Borla, the Magnaflow, and the Mopar; for me the Borla sounds best inside and ouside of the car. As mentioned elsewhere, I have also driven the car that was the first installation of the Borla on a Fiat. It provided some extra zip for sure, and said zip was completely attributable to it, as there were no other mods. I will also get the K&N drop in at the same time, as it should help the engine breathe a bit without going for the full-blown cold air intake.

And Brandon, (SoCal Fiat Club), once installed, and if you would like to, we can hook up to let you hear/drive my car to help with your decision making.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You heard the MagnaFlow and Borla both in person? I know you drove the 500 with the Borla setup installed but if you heard both in person I'd like to know which is the deeper tone exhaust with the lesser raspy sound.
Yes, heard them both in person, but only the Borla at speed. The Borla has a very Euro (not rice burner) sound that I would not call raspy, more high revvy race car sound, but still with a bass component, too, that does get in the cabin with windows up and under throttle. Windows down, it sings a very rich sound. Inside, outside, it is appealing to me. The Magnaflow sounded more like an American car, with only deeper notes. I found it to be better than stock but unremarkable.

Today I had 500 Madness install the Borla on my car and I am utterly thrilled. Boris had much the same opinion about the sounds and appropriateness of the Borla sound. While there, I also got the Competitzione drop-in filter. Together the two improved the engine pull, especially at higher revs, a very nice performance upgrade. One can really feel the pull now. The few hp really makes a difference.

Also while there, they installed their own red 1.2 inch drop progressive springs, and I couldn't be happier. It looks great and feels like a slot car now. The spring debate we can save for another thread, but these are "just right" in my opinion.

I am stunned by how my car now looks, sounds, accelerates, and turns. It is not a subtle difference.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds really good Dom, I like it! Guessing it was a lot cheaper than the MF they got selling for around $730 bucks too, do you know what model # they used to make it?
Thanks! I really do like it too, very minimal drone in the cabin. Noticed a little power gain too.
I wish I got the part numbers so I could be more help to the Fiat community since ive been asked that several times. The shop I dealt with has a great reputation so I more or less left it in their hands. I paid $350 with taxes and thats for a full catback. Cant beat that!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts