Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 500 comes with a great warranty. Bring the car in for service. If you like you can even come here and talk about it once it's fixed.

My car has been in a couple times for minor issues. Once they even had to remove the entire dash board to clean up a ground connection. If they scratched it? they would fix it.

BTW my little 500 told me it needed an oil change at 3700 miles. Brought it in, and 20 minutes later drove home with new oil free of charge.

Awesome job Rick Case Fiat!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Some people are naturally curious and want to get some possibilities before they go to the dealer. Also, for some, a trip to the dealer isn't trivial, as there aren't that many. Until recently, the closest dealer to me (where I purchased) was nearly 100 miles away.

Lastly, some people prefer to do their own work, even if the dealer-provided work is free. My brother does all his own work on his high-end motorcycles because he's pickier than any service department ever would be.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I used to be a Auto Technician while I was in collij.

*I make so much money now in my current profession it's cheaper to pay someone's labor rate than it is to pay myself to work on it.

*may not be factual

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

In addition to what others have posted, I think that its also not a bad idea to try and better understand what the issues might be before going into the dealership for servicing.

For instance, I previously had an incident where I got a "TPMS Unavailable" error message. I took the car in, and the servce department was eventually able to diagnose and resolve the issue. But since the dealership was fairly new, at first they weren't fully sure why the message had come up, and it took a couple hours to fully diagnose and resolve the issue.

As such, I posted my experiences on these boards in case anyone else recieves a similar error message hopefully the will now have a leg up on the possible causes if they take the car in, so hopefully it won't take the service department too long to correct it and get them back on the road.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
nearest studios for many people being 100-150+ miles away sucks.

my idea was to keep an ongoing list of issues so that when i went for my first oild change everything could be addressed. im sure that would have involved taking a loaner home and having to make another 260 mile round trip just to get the car back.

i dont have my car anymore, but i could see the studio network being so small was going to be less than ideal.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I hate to point out the obvious, but some of us just simply LOVE working on our own vehicles, and learning about them.

I work on every vehicle myself, my gf, and her daughter own.
I also work on our motorcycle collection, and the bikes some of my friends own.

I have friends and acquaintances ask me if I can take a look at their vehicles, bikes, whatever, and I don't mind doing so, because its simply fun for me.

I get to learn about a new vehicle, learn about any problems that pop up on a forum like this, and then share that information at other times when it comes up.

If I didn't like to learn about cars, well, none of us probably would be talking right now.

BC.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
My studio 2 blocks away. Bought the car in. They didn't fix my issue. Took care of it my self. Sometimes that works. I do agree if their is something really wrong bring it in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to pile on, but it's for the obvious reasons. I like to know what the problem is before I bring it to the dealer, so that I know what kind of work will need to be done and what possible additional problems I might run into. Also, discussing things here might save someone the trip to the dealer if it turns out that what they're experiencing is normal and is actually working as intended.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
For example, take the power window problem noted by TomServo. Unless they can reproduce the problem, they are not going to do anything. The dealer is there to make money, not chase phantom wish-list problems. So it's a good idea to bring it up on the forum, to get a sense of how seriously to pursue it. If other people had observed a problem, you might get a better idea how to reproduce it. That's a better use of time than getting the old "The technician couldn't find a problem with the (fill in the blank)."

·
Registered
228 Posts
The story as I see it

My dealer is close,but even an oil change takes them 3 hours minimum.They are a large Chrysler dealer that also sells Fiat. My TPMS sensor issue,they want the car for half a day. I work 30 miles from where I live so I need the car.S o... I have to sacrifice half of my day off to get this attended to. Piss off. Thats why I was asking if there was an easier solution.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cant help but notice that JAFA500 posted ths thread literally minutes after telling me to take my car to the dealer as the solution for the problem I posted in the DIY section. I agree with what most everyone else says here, I want to better understand my car, I love the satisfaction of fixing a problem myself, and most important; ive worked at a couple dealerships, I know most mechanics will not respect my car, and dont want to risk any unnecessary damages. I dont want drive 120 miles to the nearest Fiat dealer, wait forever while the problem is fixed, and have services upsold to me. Id prefer to do it myself :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Also, the "if they scratch it, they fix it" sounds good in theory, but it can be next to impossible to get a dealer to own up to damages like that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Computers

Gotta love electronic cars. Two days of TPM system unavailable warnings and today nothing! Go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts