Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought mine originally to drive to bicycle races all over the country... but the car itself is turning into a hobby of it's own. This is the third car in my garage. I take a lot of flack from my friends over it. Its kind of like a moped... fun to ride... until... well... you know. I hang out with a tough crowd. I get as many "Cool Car"s (from people I do not know) as I get chuckles. I don't care. I love my little McNugget.

In two years I will have logged 100,000 miles assuming the next two years go as the last two. I am conflicted about burning up a fixed up Prima but it is the lesser of 3 evils.

I am tempted to get a base 15,500 Pop and make the Prima a hobby car.

I have had other Fiats in the 80s... but back then you had to have a reliable back-up car. This is not the case with this one. I am hoping it will go the distance.

Why did you buy yours?:confused::)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Saturn burst into flames. Since Saturn wasn't around any more (so sad), I went car shopping. I test drove a couple of cars, but nothing was impressing me, and they all felt too big - I've got to be able to parallel park it! Was to talking to a salesman and found out there were Fiats on the lot. I just wanted to see one, but I loved it, so I asked to test drive one, and I LOVED it.

Mine's a dark green Sport with a sun roof and heated seats :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I usually buy small cars. I bought the Charger on a whim. I happened to see it, made a snap decision that I had to have it, Put 10 grand down on it, drove off the lot, and after the honey moon wondered WTF just happened? I like the car. It's a lot of fun. It's also one of the dumbest things I've ever done that didn't involve drinking and a bet.

When I bought the Charger, gas was 240ish a gal for hightest. when it hit $4.30 here I was like F this. I was burning $400-$500 a month in gas.

The wife liked the Fiat. I liked the Fiat. My daughter LOVES the Fiat. I'll probably save $200-$300 in gas alone.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
6 Posts
105 miles a day. I'm driving a Hemi Ram right now @ 14 MPG average. Parking the truck pays for the car.

Why a FIAT? I've always dug Italians, and owned 3 Fiats, 2 Lancias and a Maserati Biturdo.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I've always liked/owned small cars (except for my 1st car in high school). I've also spent a little time overseas on business (& one vacation) and really admired some of the small cars over there. And the car that I previously owned (a 2005 Matrix) was beginning to feel just a little too big for me (parking wise and fuel wise).

When I heard that the 500 was coming over here I began reading up on it on the internet and became intrigued, though when I first saw it at a car show I wasn't fully sure it would be a good fit for me, so I kept my options open looking at other stuff like the Accent, Aveo & Yaris etc. Once the Studio nearest me opened though I stopped by for a test drive and was hooked, and came back the next day to make the deal.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had a Volvo C30, chipped, with a slightly modded suspension. It was a way cool looking car, but it was BORING. BORING as in "do I have to drive it again?". It didn't do a thing for me, with its huge, thin steering wheel, lifeless steering, horrible clutch and gearshift, terrible brakes... the list went on and on.

Now, I know the C30 is faster, probably brakes better and turns better than the Fiat. The thing is - it doesn't feel like it, and it's no fun. The only thing I could reliably do that made me smile was spin its tires all the way through first gear, and come to think of it, that was pretty immature!

So I sold the Volvo and got a CR-V for my wife. My wife gave me her Outlander. Her car is too big for driving downtown, and that's mostly what I do, so I began shopping for a new car - since I had just traded in the Volvo, I couldn't afford to spend too much.

I had already contemplated buying the 500 2 years ago, when it was fully Italian (or Polish), but it was $5,000 dollars MORE EXPENSIVE than the cars in showrooms right now, with the exact same equipment (I think the mexican 500 is better equipped, actually - the dealership still has a Polish 500 for sale). When I learned the cars were out, and pretty inexpensive, I drove to the dealership, fell in love with the car, and immediately traded in the Outlander, thinking that my mom wanted the 500 later on anyway, so I could trade it for an Abarth later on.

BUT - I find myself falling in love more and more with the car. I'm starting to think I really don't need / want the Abarth - an auto 500 makes so much sense in this city. It's comfortable, small, inexpensive, loaded... I can't imagine why it won't be a hit. It's the perfect second car, a perfect car for a single person, a perfect car for driving in the city...

.... and yes, it drives A LOT better than the Volvo. It just feels completely alive, even though my old C30 would smoke it in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As soon as I heard the 500 was coming to North America I wanted it. I didn't actually think I'd ever have one though. When the time to buy a car came around I decided to just go and test drive one, just to see what it was like. After the test drive, no other car mattered. I had to have one. Now I'm the proud owner of red sport and I love the attention it gets everywhere I go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I usually buy small cars. I bought the Charger on a whim. I happened to see it, made a snap decision that I had to have it, Put 10 grand down on it, drove off the lot, and after the honey moon wondered WTF just happened? I like the car. It's a lot of fun. It's also one of the dumbest things I've ever done that didn't involve drinking and a bet.

When I bought the Charger, gas was 240ish a gal for hightest. when it hit $4.30 here I was like F this. I was burning $400-$500 a month in gas.

The wife liked the Fiat. I liked the Fiat. My daughter LOVES the Fiat. I'll probably save $200-$300 in gas alone.
I can almost say the exact same thing. went from a smart (a very sorry excuse for a dealership turned me off on THAT car) to a Charger. gas hit $4.29 and I too thought wtf? I drive 60 miles/day and to be getting about 20mpgs at that price, costs way too much. but that wasn't the main reason.

the main reason I ordered my Sport is that I just fell in love with it. cool looks, very comfortable for me (I'm 6'2" @250lbs) and has lots of 'techie toys' like the Blue & Me, Tom-Tom Nav, etc.

after reading reviews from those in the EU that have had their 500's since 07, it looks like a pretty reliable car too. nothing wrong with that, huh?

just can't wait for it to show up now........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a Rosso (metallic) Sport off the showroom floor yesterday and it's just great. My wife has been saying she thought the car is absolutely adorable for about a week so we went and checked it out. Amazingly, this car gets about as many looks and positive comments as my Audi R8.

I'm lovin' it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I can almost say the exact same thing. went from a smart (a very sorry excuse for a dealership turned me off on THAT car) to a Charger. gas hit $4.29 and I too thought wtf? I drive 60 miles/day and to be getting about 20mpgs at that price, costs way too much. but that wasn't the main reason.

the main reason I ordered my Sport is that I just fell in love with it. cool looks, very comfortable for me (I'm 6'2" @250lbs) and has lots of 'techie toys' like the Blue & Me, Tom-Tom Nav, etc.

after reading reviews from those in the EU that have had their 500's since 07, it looks like a pretty reliable car too. nothing wrong with that, huh?

just can't wait for it to show up now........:rolleyes:

You get 20MPGs out of your SRT8?? i barely get 22 out of my 08 6speed GTI!!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I get 20mpg on the highway with cruise set at 70. In mixed driving with little jackassery, I get 15. I've gotten as low as 12.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You get 20MPGs out of your SRT8?? i barely get 22 out of my 08 6speed GTI!!
SRT8? I wish.....no, it's just an SXT 3.5L. NICE car and I've gotten as much as 24mpg's during the week, but on average I think it's more like 20-21. can't wait to get the Sport with the 6sp Aisin auto. looking to use the 'autostick' feature and see what I can do with it. maybe I can beat the 34mpg that's advertised.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The design. The little car just made me smile every time I saw it, I knew it was for me.

Reactions: fjhuerta

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got into one at the LA Auto Show in December, half as a joke because I'm 6'4, and I actually found it comfortable. As I've always wanted a small car, and I really liked the way the 500 looked, it planted the seed... after test driving a few 500s in the past few weeks (as well as a few others - i hated the mini), it became a surety

1 - 20 of 26 Posts