Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 500 was manufactured in 17 days following the order, but has now sat in storage for a week and Fiat claims will likely sit there for another 1-2 weeks. Interestingly Fiat CS has no idea what this "storage phase" is all about. Is the car vacationing in Mexico?!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've been told mine is in pre-production for the last 3 weeks. I have a VIN! Just not an actual car.

·
Registered
614 Posts
From what I can tell it looks like 3-4 weeks on the line, another 3-5 weeks to clear U.S. Customs and then destination delivery timeframe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"storage" could mean several things: awaiting customs release, awaiting enough vehicles to fill a specific number of train cars, etc.

personally I believe its the latter of the two. the plant in Toluca Mexico also builds the Dodge Journey which comes to the States as well. my 'guess' is that the 500's and Journeys come to a holding area and are awaiting more vehicles to fill a train car to either go east, west, or north.

if you happen to be in an area that has not been getting many 500's because of a lack of Studios, you may have a longer wait.

again, pure speculation on my part......but it makes sense to me. I hope you all get your 500's soon! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems to be a customs issue. I've heard that there are >3000 stuck in this process (including ours). The dealership is being very very kind. We're told that next week may be our week, as they start getting released for import into US.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It seems to be a customs issue. I've heard that there are >3000 stuck in this process (including ours). The dealership is being very very kind. We're told that next week may be our week, as they start getting released for import into US.
Customs has probably been downsized like other Fed agencies to help pay for corporate welfare.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've been told mine is in pre-production for the last 3 weeks. I have a VIN! Just not an actual car.

update. Mine is in some level of production as of today. Don't know what level. My local dealer has a Lounge in the same color/style but with chocolate/cream interior and every option available including Sat Nav en route. It's also an auto...mine ordered was a 5 speed. I mentioned that as a possible replacement and they upped my trade allowance almost $1000 to help offset the cost.

Still, almost 26k for a tiny little car. Well, my last two car purchases were close to 40k each...so I guess 26 ain't too bad?

·
Registered
614 Posts
update. Mine is in some level of production as of today. Don't know what level. My local dealer has a Lounge in the same color/style but with chocolate/cream interior and every option available including Sat Nav en route. It's also an auto...mine ordered was a 5 speed. I mentioned that as a possible replacement and they upped my trade allowance almost $1000 to help offset the cost.

Still, almost 26k for a tiny little car. Well, my last two car purchases were close to 40k each...so I guess 26 ain't too bad?
If your dealer is like mine, they ordered way too many automatics and not nearly enough sticks. Dealer even admitted it in passing conversation.

They're probably trying to clear their lot of automatics...I'd hold off for the manual trany if I were you. More fun and better mpg. :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I know my dealer ordered a lot of lounges. I don't think the lounge comes in a manual.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know my dealer ordered a lot of lounges. I don't think the lounge comes in a manual.
You're exactly right...no stick in the Lounge and no convertible in the Sport.

Bummer since that leaves out certain options if you want a rag top like me.

The day I bought mine, two other people also ordered Pop's with many's.

·
Registered
614 Posts
No stick in the Lounge in the U.S? I wonder why. I ordered my Lounge with stick here in Toronto.
I think FIAT underestimated the manny popularity here...IMO, a small car like this screams for a stick shift, especially with the extra 5 mpg.

Local dealer here has 74 on the lot and only 5 are manual trannys. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts