Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, something I have been thinking about lately.
You with think the Abarth in Europe would be pushing some big hp numbers but I haven't seen much unless it major mods.

For instance, I drive a neon Srt-4. Stock it's 240hp. Many are pushing 400+ hp.
Many are getting 300hp with stock turbo.
Just a tune and supporting mods, 3" exhaust, etc.

How hard will this car be to take it to a reliable say, 200-225hp?

From what I'm reading, the us spec Abarth gets the bigger gt1447 turbo that the Brando punto abarth in Europe gets.
Plus you think you would be able to push more power from a just tune since you can essentially "program" a custom intake cam profile.

I would love to bring this car up to a reliable daily driver 225hp.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Cause a lot of power in a small car isn't really usable for daily driving. The 100hp it has is peppy enough without either getting you in trouble or lowering the drivability of the car. In europe they seem to be more about handling and looks than straight line power, thats more an american thing. We do drag racing they do rallying/ drifting. Its usually more about making it look cool cause they don't have big open roads like we do to really use that power.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The truth is most people dont care much about HP. They just want a car that goes from point A to point B reliably and in comfort with a splash of style. The 500 does that very well. Your neon does 240HP, great. So now you get get to the next red light faster.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Power weight relationship, for this small car is already great . 101hp is fun. The Abarth with be more fun. You could take the car up 500 hp, there is NO real limit. How much money do you want to spend?

Gas is going up to 4 bucks of gallon, NO fun.

·
Registered
260 Posts
From what I've seen in Europe the tuners are already making "big power" with their chips and tuning kits. TMC Motorsports in Nothern Ireland has a kit already out for the U.S. Spec Abarth that promises up to 210HP. Other tuners in Germany and elsewhere for the European spec Abarth are getting well above 200HP to 260HP and one up to 300! That said, I believe once you get beyond 200HP you're starting to put stress on the OEM parts that weren't designed for it so you have upgrade them. I'd guess that you could pretty easily get the U.S. spec Abarth up to 200HP easily with an increase in boost and not risk major problems. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi guys, something I have been thinking about lately.
You with think the Abarth in Europe would be pushing some big hp numbers but I haven't seen much unless it major mods
Reason 1) It's always more economical to let the manufacturer do it. Why don't people strap turbos to their base 911s? Because Porsche makes the 911 turbo. Fiat/Abarth already have numerous upgrade models for people to buy.

Reason 2) Big power requires all the parts being able to handle it or readily available parts that will. By the time you've found a replacement transmission that can handle the extra power and still fit, brakes to haul it down, wheels that fit over the brakes, a custom ECU tune, uprated suspension, etc - you've spent enough to buy something that was always faster right out of the box.

·
Registered
260 Posts
and yet there will be those who will do just that. Here in the U.S. just as in Europe there will be those who will want more of everything for their car. Many of the tuning chip kits are plug and play and increase horsepower output and maintain and in some cases improve the fuel economy. Just wait, I suspect that when the Abarth gets out into the market you'll see folks modifying theirs even further. Big brake kits, suspension upgrades, larger turbos are already out there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
michaelo posted: "The truth is most people dont care much about HP. They just want a car that goes from point A to point B reliably and in comfort with a splash of style. The 500 does that very well. Your neon does 240HP, great. So now you get get to the next red light faster."

IMHO I think a more accurate statement would be that Fiat 500 owners don't really care about HP. If most people in America didn't care about HP then why did they offer the U.S. spec Abarth starting with 160HP and not the 135 that the European model comes with? Also, many Europeans modify their Abarths to get more HP because they want more power. There are plenty of car enthusiasts who enjoy modifying their cars through tuning and upgrades. Many also track their cars. By the way, if you look at who Fiat is marketing the Abarth to here in the U.S. it is for track enthusiasts and purists. Just the types of people who actually care about HP.

·
Registered
765 Posts
There is a practical limit to how much horsepower you can put in a car and still have something thats drivable, with a car as small and light as the 500, its likely someplace near 200hp. Sure you can do more, and you will be faster, but your gains really do nothing for real world fun or usefulness and would likely make the car near impossible to handle around corners. With the 4 wheel drive version this would of course be a higher number, but FWD, 200hp would be so screamingly quick, I just can't see the points of much more.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its all relative to what you define as "fun" or "usefulness". For anyone just purchasing an Abarth to drive daily to and from work I would tend to agree that it would not be worth it to spend the money and time to upgrade it over 200HP. If you plan to track your Abarth then I would tend to respectfully disagree with the statement. If you tune it to over 200HP or higher, then you'd need to look into larger breaks, exhaust, high flow cats, a full coilover suspension, sway bars, which would address the handling around corners issue and be safe. Again, its all relative to the owner and what they intend to do with their Abarth.

·
Registered
222 Posts
200+ HP doesn't seem to hurt the JCW Minis too much. They typical 500 owner is going to not care about HP too much, mostly because they don't have any. A typical Abarth owner will feel differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not a super car. Thats all there is to it. If its not what you want then dont buy it.

Want a fun fast car? Wait for the Alfa Romeo 4C to come over in a year or 2. Of corse The 70,000 dollar price tag spends fast too.

The abarth 500 is a small car, with a small engine, thats meant to be fun to drive and classy in its own way. Abarth never came out and claimed it would be a supercar. Most ppl seem happy with 160 hp and I totally agree. I plan on buying one this spring.

I want one to go out with, or hit the windy roads in the middle of nowhere. Not to drag race srt4 or tiburons lol.

Better yet buy a bike and go fast! Thats what I do when I need to clear my head! jump on the bandit and do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Why make it something its not?:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts