Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why I chose...Competizione Sport Tuning High Flow Drop in Air Filter

From what I can see there are three choices for intake/filter upgrades...

1. Competizione Sport Tuning Cold Air Intake
2. Road Race Corsa- Dyno Tuned Intake
3. Competizione Sport Tuning High Flow Drop in Air Filter

1. Competizione Sport Tuning Cold Air Intake- This would be great if I were going to the track and intended to drive in dry conditions. It is a great concept for power gain through high flow and fresh air... I have driven 2 cars with this setup and they were both strong.
I intend to drive this car all over the country on 9 different trips...expecting all sorts of weather including heavy water and rain.

2. Road Race Corsa- Dyno Tuned Intake also reports up to 5hp gain on the dyno but these numbers concern me... The photo on the site shows only a short intake duct. Without any installed photos I can only assume the filter is within the engine compartment. If this is the case... a hood up, fan on, for all we know intake turned straight up (to suck fresh air) Dyno means nothing to me. I want to see a Dyno video on this with real world driving circumstances. With intake installed, hood down, dyno fan on. I believe this would be the true test. I am betting the heat generated will cancel out any gain realized in the rigged dyno test... it may even loose power because of lack of fresh air... If I am wrong please post more detailed photos and or video. Just wish there was more detailed info on this.

3. The above reasons along with the superior filtration quality of an oiled Drop in foam filter offer. I am not sure about any hp gain... is seems to growl a bit louder... and I am confident I am not sucking micro dirt particles into my engine.I have it installed and am happy with the Competizione Sport Tuning High Flow Drop in Air Filter. And it is re usable/cleanable.

Thoughts? Bring it!:cool:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
love your 500, wheels look great!
here are my thoughts.

1) Competizione Intake does not fit well at all, i know this from experience. I broke a rad hose trying to fish the first pipe from the throttle body past all the wires and hoses, the space is just too tight. Also concerning the claimed gains, his dyno sheet shows our car making 98 WHP stock which is completley false. A car with 101 HP at the crank cannot make 98 HP to the wheels. Also their videos showing off their intake on the dyno has the intake up in the air from the throttle body, which is totally weird to me. In my opinion its not a well engineered product.

2) If you youtube "road race motorsports Fiat" you can see in one of the videos how their intake fits, and its a way better designed intake. The longer the intake tubes are, the worse throttle response gets. Not to mention its $100 cheaper, so if you're looking for a intake, this is a no brainer.

I have the competizione panel filter as well, I have nothing against it, but HP gains from a panel filter are minimal. Ive got a road race intake coming. I will post pics and sound clips when I install it

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are rt about those dyno claims... anything near the 100 HP range at the wheels should be suspect. I have seen the cold air setup on four different cars and have driven two of them... you can surly feel the difference. I did not inquire about the installation process. I choose not to fight over pennies and nickels ... show me a quarter that is reliable and I am in regardless of cost.:cool:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... I found that video showing the installation of the roadrace intake. You are going to be sucking in engine and exhaust heat rt back into the motor unless you plan to drive around with the hood open or off... yes... you have a shorter intake tube = less restriction but heat recycled back in = power loss. After seeing this I am reasonably sure the dyno was done with the hood open and a huge fan blowing fresh cold air over the filter. There needs to be a partitioned are area around the intake filter to isolate engine heat trapped under the hood from going directly back into the engine through the intake filter. You will most likeley experience a loss of power once the engine is at optimum running temperature while driving normally with the hood closed. I call gimmick/ waste of $. Get a second opinion if you don't believe me. Third party opinion. Just looking out for my fellow fiat fans.:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
5hp.

If you guys want to install the intake because it's fun or you like the way it sounds have at it.

5hp. I know, it's only 100 fwhp to begin with but I think I'll leave mine stock. I'll spend my money on stickier tires, suspension parts, and capitalize on the strong points of the car. The handling.

·
Registered
258 Posts
love your 500, wheels look great!
here are my thoughts.

1) Competizione Intake does not fit well at all, i know this from experience. I broke a rad hose trying to fish the first pipe from the throttle body past all the wires and hoses, the space is just too tight. Also concerning the claimed gains, his dyno sheet shows our car making 98 WHP stock which is completley false. A car with 101 HP at the crank cannot make 98 HP to the wheels. Also their videos showing off their intake on the dyno has the intake up in the air from the throttle body, which is totally weird to me. In my opinion its not a well engineered product.

2) If you youtube "road race motorsports Fiat" you can see in one of the videos how their intake fits, and its a way better designed intake. The longer the intake tubes are, the worse throttle response gets. Not to mention its $100 cheaper, so if you're looking for a intake, this is a no brainer.

I have the competizione panel filter as well, I have nothing against it, but HP gains from a panel filter are minimal. Ive got a road race intake coming. I will post pics and sound clips when I install it
I would love the see your dyno report with your new Intake with hood close!
you will get "heat soak" with short ram Air intake!!!!!! (just ask any car guy will tell you about HEATSOAK)!
Compitizione Intake kit fits just fine you just have know what are you doing!
Anyway good luck with your new intake KIT! hope you will not get any heat soak!

Long tube is better than short ram air! (long tube gets air speed to the motor faster):)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just because something could fit doesn't mean it was made to fit well.
Yes I could have forced the pipes through to make them fit but the idea of having the warm intake pipes pressed up against all my rad hoses didn't sound too appealing.
The reason the road race intake is made the way it is was because the engine bay is so tight it simply doesn't fit right any other way. Once I get my road race intake installed I'll post it up. Short ram intakes have always had some sort of power gain on every car I've used them on and I don't have to worry about driving over a huge puddle of water and ruining my engine

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just because something could fit doesn't mean it was made to fit well.
Yes I could have forced the pipes through to make them fit but the idea of having the warm intake pipes pressed up against all my rad hoses didn't sound too appealing.
The reason the road race intake is made the way it is was because the engine bay is so tight it simply doesn't fit right any other way. Once I get my road race intake installed I'll post it up. Short ram intakes have always had some sort of power gain on every car I've used them on and I don't have to worry about driving over a huge puddle of water and ruining my engine
Hope you will like your new intake! Good Luck! :):):)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts