Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you press the LOCK button on the keyfob while the doors are open, the doors do not lock and the car does not beep or anything....until you shut the door, at which point the doors instantly lock, and the I'm all secured horn beep goes off.

It is entirely probable that someone (many someones) will get in the middle of doing 3 things at once, press the lock button by mistake and leave the keys in the car and shut the door....ooops

I duno, just seems kinda mean to have it be silent....until its too late:confused:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
the Government, our Parents and not even FIAT can protect us against ourselves.

at some point people need to take responsibility for themselves and if they screw up, they need to stop pointing fingers at others.

this really isn't a big deal as the worst that will happen to most people will be locking their keys, somehow, in the car. an inconvenience at worst.

BUT you know someone, NOT PAYING ATTENTION, as you said doing 3 things at once, locks their INFANT in the car. then sadly, the lawsuits will begin, as their not paying attention will end up costing FIAT millions.

reminds me of the woman who sued McDonalds because she was driving her car and spilled her HOT coffee in her crotch. she collected millions and why? because she was too stupid to have a cupholder.

moral of the story: you can't legislate intelligence.

·
Registered
453 Posts
LOL! That's the best place for it when you lock your keys in the car. hehe

Our spare is on the hooks in the kitchen. If I screw up and lock my keys in, I can get my wife to bring the spare. ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
F500, do yourself a favor and a bit of research. McDonald's screwed up and could have settled for $20,000 plus medical. The final jury award was $640,000 but an out-of-court settlement was reached.

As for locking keys in the car, I can see where it could happen, but it would have to a weird situation.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I used to manage a company that did witness transportation for a state prosecutor's office and the drivers often had to do three things at once. I made it a policy to never leave the key in the car at all; if you were out of the driver's seat, the key was in your pocket. Period.
Make safety a habit.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The McDonalds thing has grown into something of an urban legend. Once you read the particulars of the case, it's obvious McD's was at fault. I don't remember everything about it, but I do remember that there were health codes or whatever in place as to the max temperature any restaurant can serve hot breverages and that particular location had been cited several times in the past for not being just a little over, but a lot over. Their rational was that people bought coffee at a drive-thru and didn't drink it until they got to work, and by then it was cold, and they had complained about that, so McD's cranked up the burner to near boiling.

Very interesting case when you read about it. It's online somewhere, I'm sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The McDonalds thing has grown into something of an urban legend. Once you read the particulars of the case, it's obvious McD's was at fault. I don't remember everything about it, but I do remember that there were health codes or whatever in place as to the max temperature any restaurant can serve hot breverages and that particular location had been cited several times in the past for not being just a little over, but a lot over. Their rational was that people bought coffee at a drive-thru and didn't drink it until they got to work, and by then it was cold, and they had complained about that, so McD's cranked up the burner to near boiling.

Very interesting case when you read about it. It's online somewhere, I'm sure.
Health code requires that the beverages are served at a minimum temperature. Starbucks, McD's, Burger King, etc all serve coffee at nearly 180degrees even now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ive been in foodservice for well over 20 years. There has never been a "max" temp for coffee that I know of. The story we always understood was when she went into the restaurant and told them what happened he felt like the showed no remorse or care to what happened. So that is ultimately why she ended up suing. Another part of the myth was she was riding in her sons sports car that didn't have cupholders, so why not sue the car company too! Well because that's not why she sued....

I do remember after that happened we were told we had to put the coffee cup in a bag and tell the guest that it was very hot. DUH!!! I order coffee I expect it to be hot! The bag was stupid because you're more likely to spill it trying to get it out of the bag. I refused to bag it!

Anyway that a foodservice person view.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
825 Posts
This thread piqued my interest, so I was reading about it.

True, there wasn't a "max temp" like I stated, but I was posting from a years-old memory. What I was probably thinking of was that McDonald's had received numerous complaints in the past and had settled claims out of court. In the end, McDonald's was found to be 80% at fault and the woman 20% at fault, so they did recognize her part in it as well.

I think the most humorous part (if there is anything humorous about getting third-degree burns on your groin) is that she originally asked McDonald's for $20K to cover her medical expenses and lost wages, and they offered her $800. At that point, she filed the lawsuit, and when it was all over, the verdict was $200K compensatory and $2.7M punitive damages. The judge reduced this to $640K. On appeal, it was settled out of court for less than $600K.

Fascinating, no? And what it has to do with key fobs, I have no idea!

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow you people know how to digress. I actually locked my keys in the car for the first time yesterday. I was looking for something in my purse, got out to dump purse on floor of the garage and shut the door. As soon as I hear the beep I thought, "Oh crap."

Called hubby who had just driven away and he came back and unlocked it for me. If anyone figures out how to get around this feature let me know.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if I start a thread on the way the convertible top goes up and down, can I assume that I'll get an excellent education on why people are constantly asking to see my receipt 5 steps after the cashier hands it to me? I mean wow peeps LOL

·
Registered
475 Posts
So if I start a thread on the way the convertible top goes up and down, can I assume that I'll get an excellent education on why people are constantly asking to see my receipt 5 steps after the cashier hands it to me? I mean wow peeps LOL
I hate having to stop at the Receipt Nazi on the way out of Costco... :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I might be able to do this, so my wife and I attached our keys to the "clicker". Fiat even put a ring on it to do so.
Tough to lock yourself out when they are hooked together and in your hand or pocket.
IMHO

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'll admit, I do love McD's. It's supposed to be low-grade food, appealing mainly to those on a budget and kids, but I still think a Big Mac, fries, and shake is one of mankind's greatest inventions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.