Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WERE VERY RURAL-110 MILES FROM FIAT OF AUSTIN-HER ABARTH 2017-WITH 24400 MILES-CHECK LIGHT CAME ON DASH-I HAVE A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL-WHEN I PLUG IT IN DASH SAID SERVICE HILL ASSIST-AND ECU-THE CODE THOUGH WAS PO137-I READ SOMEWHERE THE BRAKE LIGHT PART THAT GOES UP BEHIND PEDAL NEEDED TO BE REPLACED-IM OLD -THIS WAS A REAL EXPERIENCE TO SAY THE LEAST-ANYWAY LIGHT STILL ON EVEN AFTER I CLEARED IT-SO IM THINKING ITS THE SENSOR????ANYWAY I KNOW SOME OF YOU KNOW THE SIMPLE ANSWER-

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
116 Posts
@FATPHIL

I understand your situation.

Your Abarth has a 4yr (from 1st year/month registered) / 50,000 Mile Warranty BUT you're 110 Miles from FIAT/Austin.

Check Engine Light comes on, so you plug in a Code Reader.

Code Reader says PO137 which is Bank 1 Sensor 2 (DOWNSTREAM from Catalytic Convertor).

Simultaneously, the Dash says "Service Hill Assist" - which is in a completely different ballpark than what the Code Reader is saying, so it's a head scratcher.

First, if the car isn't running any different than before the Check Engine Light came on, you could always try disconnecting the battery OVERNIGHT and seeing if that helps - it costs $0.00

These cars are rolling computers and sometimes they just hiccup a false code or two that makes no sense since everything seems A-OK.

In short, disconnecting the battery overnight re-sets the car computer back to the factory specifications, and erases all the "glitches". It's the same as a computer that's acting up, and you have to pull the power plug to get it back to normal.

One thing you will have to do is when you re-connect the battery is re-set the in-cabin clock, but that's no big deal.

After disconnecting the battery overnight, if the Check engine Light comes back on, and your code reader says PO137 Bank 1 Sensor 2, you can always order a new O2 Sensor (DOWNSTREAM) from Rock Auto. It's a lot cheaper than the round trip drive time to Austin w/ gas. It's a simple swap out part.

CLICK ON THIS LINK TO ROCK AUTO / 2017 Abarth: 2017 FIAT 500 1.4L L4 Turbocharged Oxygen (O2) Sensor | RockAuto

The BOSCH and DENSO part are BOTH reputable - right around $40 and shipping via USPS Priority Mail should be $8

Hope that helps - let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
Leaky exhaust system, faulty oxygen sensor. Here’s a quick fix video. Since your car may be out of it’s new car warranty. Vehicle emissions components carry a lot longer warranty period. Check your Fiat emission warranty booklet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts