Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a 215 width tire fit without rubbing? I have a Lounge with 185/55-15 Conti's and I would like to upgrade to a 215 width tire. Has anyone already done this successfully? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am very interested in this.

I am not sure about 215, but a 205 should be fine i would think. I had a friend with a mini and i thing he ran 205s on it and that thing had GRIP!!!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There was a 500 posted a while back doing a wheel test fit, one of the sizes was 215/35/17.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
There was a 500 posted a while back doing a wheel test fit, one of the sizes was 215/35/17.

Additional bonus with this size is that it also offers the smallest % of difference (0.1%) from stock 16in rims with stock tires (195/45 R16). If the proper rim is chosen you'll also end up with lower weight than stock which with such a small car certainly can't hurt. :cool:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I too believe that a 205 should be no probem, but not so sure about a 215. depends on the diameter of the wheel you want to go with.

there's a flange on the front strut that, on the Sport with its 195/45R16s, is only about a 1/2" from the inside edge of the tire. it doesn't give you much room to play with. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
there's a flange on the front strut that, on the Sport with its 195/45R16s, is only about a 1/2" from the inside edge of the tire. it doesn't give you much room to play with. :(
Tight clearances suck to work around but there are different offsets of wheels that may help out along with camber adjustments. After sticking an 8.5in wide wheel on my Legacy and not being able to stick my pinky between the rear control arm and the rim I dont scare too easily.

Additional bonus with this size is that it also offers the smallest % of difference (0.1%) from stock 16in rims with stock tires (195/45 R16). If the proper rim is chosen you'll also end up with lower weight than stock which with such a small car certainly can't hurt. :cool:
So true and many people forget about weight of their wheels and tires and the effect on performance. I love when I see an underpowered car with chrome cast 19s, i just wanna go up to the driver and say "congrats on making your car slower".

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would not put a 215 on a stock wheel.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Tight clearances suck to work around but there are different offsets of wheels that may help out along with camber adjustments. After sticking an 8.5in wide wheel on my Legacy and not being able to stick my pinky between the rear control arm and the rim I dont scare too easily.

So true and many people forget about weight of their wheels and tires and the effect on performance. I love when I see an underpowered car with chrome cast 19s, i just wanna go up to the driver and say "congrats on making your car slower".

I for one try to find the lightest weight wheel I like the looks of and then go as wide or close to as wide as possible. :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I for one try to find the lightest weight wheel I like the looks of and then go as wide or close to as wide as possible. :cool:

If you want to go a step further you can check the weight of the tires, on a car with only 101hp shedding any weight in a rotational mass will help

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
If you want to go a step further you can check the weight of the tires, on a car with only 101hp shedding any weight in a rotational mass will help

Very true but when it comes to tires I focus mainly on the grip they offer more than any other factor, I tend to like taking corners rather fast and dislike braking. :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Using spacer's with the correct wheel offset and width, there's a lot you can do with the position of the wheels in the fenders. On my other car, I run 18X8" wheels, +55 offset with 15mm and 20mm spacers. 1.7" drop all around. The wheel on the front sits maybe a 1/4" from the strut. On the back with a full car, the tire is about 1/4" from the fender liner on the outside. No rubbing!

The 500 has room to play, so push those wheels out! I like the idea of a wide 16" with a nice low offset. 215's, perhaps. Just 215/35/17 tires aren't the easiest to find in North America.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone tried a 215/40/17 on a sport yet? That is probably the closest to stock height that the Dunlop Dirriza Z1 StarSpec comes in and it is one of the best tires I had on my Legacy and I had 3 sets of high performance summers. A friend of mine with a Mini got them cause of me and he was in love with them as well, so I would like to get them again on my 500

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That is probably the closest to stock height that the Dunlop Dirriza Z1 StarSpec comes in and it is one of the best tires I had on my Legacy
Love my Dunlop StarSpecs. I really wish I could get a set for my 500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lighter wheels and tires make great sense for any car, but especially one with one hundred hp and a fairly normal brake package. The weight of the tire is very important since it's weight is farther from the center of the wheels axis. so, installing a slightly lighter wheel along with a heavier tire may yield a small net gain in reducing unsprung weight but may place rotational mass closer th=o the tire's circumference...and this may reduce performance even though total unsprung weight was reduced.

Wheel offset and back space should both be analyzed to avooid rubbing on the strut and or fender.

Making front track wider on a car with about 60% of is weight over the front axle is as fundamental a modification one can make - with a typical commuter car...then springs...then dampers...then bushings....then alignment specs.

Making front track wider...decreases front axle roll moment, which in turn increases potential front end grip, relaxes front end camber curve, may decrease bearing durability, increases front roll resistance, which in turn adds to some understeer. Yes, more front end grip and more understeer...typically initially turn-in understeer is more noticable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
...in addition to the above, it is possible to increase steering feel by pushing the wheels out a bit...but this really depends upon SIA/king pin angle - which for a mac strut is also camber angle - and scrub radius.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts