Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put my 2016 500e in winter storage in Floyd, VA at 3,000 ft, where it can get 10 below zero F. I will be away the entire winter months and am uncertain of the most appropriate storage condition. Should I just charge it to 85% and disconnect the negative lead to the 12 V battery?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the accepted "storage" procedure from FCA is. plug in the 120v charger and leave it.
Thanks for your reply Fe(OH)3. However, this procedure is contrary to the efforts of many contributors to this forum who are eager to never let their HV batteries stand for any length of time fully charged. And my meager knowledge of Li ion batteries also led me to this conclusion.
So, I went searching and found this from the 2018 Fiat 500e owners manual (my e is a 2016):

"NOTE: If the vehicle is parked and off charge for longer than two months, the 12V battery should be disconnected."

Can you point me to your source of information?

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
From the owners manual
"VEHICLE STORAGE The preferred way of storing your vehicle for a long period of time is to leave it attached to a Level 1 or Level 2 charger. The vehicle has a wake-up feature that will wake the system every 3 weeks and do a maintenance charge on the 12 Volt battery and also top off the high voltage battery if necessary. Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (e.g., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the air conditioning system is started again."
found here, page 331.

Note, yours says, "parked and OFF CHARGE for longer than"

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
If the 2016 will retain its remote app function, & if it allows SOC monitoring & charge start/stop, that would let you keep it between 50 & 60%. If not, it might be worth the investment in the after-market app.

Or maybe test to see how many % points it loses per day off charge, & charge it to 85% or the like, based on how long you'll be gone.

Or even just plug-&-leave, resting easy in the knowledge that most electric 500s probably spend about half their lives at "100%" which is really only 4.11V*, so there's no discernible degradation.

*according to AlfaOBD (attached screenshot taken at "100% on the gauge)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Note that the link below indicates VERY little battery degradation even when stored at ONE HUNDRED percent (Fiat only goes to about 85 or 90%) for a YEAR, when it's nice & cold. I go pretty overboard on battery care, but even I would just leave it plugged into a L1 or L2 charger if it's going to be below freezing, or even a few degrees above.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/26/the-secret-life-of-an-ev-battery/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Note that the link below indicates VERY little battery degradation even when stored at ONE HUNDRED percent (Fiat only goes to about 85 or 90%) for a YEAR, when it's nice & cold. I go pretty overboard on battery care, but even I would just leave it plugged into a L1 or L2 charger if it's going to be below freezing, or even a few degrees above.

The Secret Life Of An EV Battery | CleanTechnica
OK what about the opposite scenario where I am leaving a car in the Palm Springs area over the summer where it could be 115 non air conditioned garage. Any difference in how the leave it? Pay for air con storage of car? Is that worth it?

thanks michael

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reporting back on storage in cold climate for 5 months, plugged into a 120V charger and then unplugged for one month before my arrival. First, there was virtually no drop in charge due to standing unplugged during the final month. More importantly, both batteries appears to be as I left them 6 months earlier. That said, I did not allow the garage to drop below 35 F. Sorry that I don't have an obd to allow a quantitative assessment.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
Thank you! Absolutely no apology need, since nobody has yet determined how to assess HV battery health using OBD.

I sure hope someone can prove me wrong!

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
368 Posts
I’d personally just charge to 80% and disconnect the 12v battery.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
I started a new thread for summer storage. 100 degrees isn't all that bad, especially if you can keep it around 60% SOC, but of course lower temp is better (still best around 60% SOC).

Disconnecting the 12V is because it only awakens every 3 weeks to charge it WHEN PLUGGED IN, which keeps the HV at a somewhat less ideal 85% of its actual full capacity, showing 100% on the gauge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started a new thread for summer storage. 100 degrees isn't all that bad, especially if you can keep it around 60% SOC, but of course lower temp is better (still best around 60% SOC).

Disconnecting the 12V is because it only awakens every 3 weeks to charge it WHEN PLUGGED IN, which keeps the HV at a somewhat less ideal 85% of its actual full capacity, showing 100% on the gauge.
  1. Or put a battery maintainer on it, right?
    so for 60% charge, the charge percentage meter should Actually read 70%?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,768 Posts
NO! Sorry about confusing units: Best storage is supposedly 3.92V, which on my 2013 is usually a little under 60% indicated on the Fiat gauge. Even better to use free AlfaOBD Demo to check voltage.

Rite about battery maintainer IF you leave the car unplugged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts