Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a ‘14 Abarth with the forged 17” stock wheels. I came across an ad for winter tires that are 17/50/205. And I was wondering if anyone has tired that combo or would know if I would have any rubbing issues ??

·
Registered
788 Posts
The only real difference is they are taller, so you'll be going 5 MPH quicker on the freeway and will want to change your oil 500 miles sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn’t find a 205/40 84 in winter tires - EVERYONE is out. Would 195/45R-16 PIRELLI WINTER CINTURATO XL be okay if I get new rims too? Thanks in advance for your answers :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would check on Tirerack.com and use their recommendations. (They show stock and non-stock tire/wheel combos that will fit, based on year/model.) They also have a tire sizing chart, so you can see how far an alternate tire will throw the speedo off.

My local tire dealer usually beats their pricing, but it is excellent for tire questions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
From my 6 years' happy experience, I can offer this information: My 2013 Abarth is on stock suspension. My winter tires are 205/50-16, which only ever rubbed in reverse, at full-lock turning out of my driveway. They register exactly the same as the speedometer on my GPS. My summer tires are 205/45-17, they've never rubbed, and also register exactly the same as the speedometer on my GPS. I have 55,000 total miles on my Abarth, guessing there are 25,000 miles on my winter tires, 10,000 on the original "disposable" Pirelli P Zero Neros, leaving 20,000 on my current summer tires (yikes)? Yes, there are virtually meaningless minor differences in tire circumferences, but not enough to alter oil-change intervals, or worry about speeding tickets, when everyone except me is going way more than 10 mph over the speed limits! I'm fine going only 9 mph over the speed limit, "under" the radar, but not holding up traffic in general.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts