Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!

I am currently trying to find winter steel wheels and rubber for my lady friend. She has a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport.

Since 195/45/R16 is of limited availability and expensive, I am looking at other options, such as 185/55R15 OR 175/65R14 (IF a 14" wheel will clear the calipers). I do know that Fiat uses 4x98 bolt pattern, and between 30 and 40 mms of offset.

Questions I have:

(1) Are the Fiat wheels hub or lug centric?
(2) Would a 14" wheel clear the calipers, or is 15" the smallest I can go?
(3) Should a 4x100 bolt pattern with wobble bolts work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Based on the tire size calculator tool from 1010tires.com-> http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

This is not a recommended settings as it will exceed the 3% difference and will put extra load on your brake!

Stock Tire - 195/45R16 vs Tire 1 - 195/50R16

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 58.0 mph 96.7 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 3.357% slower
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 3.26%

You should either go with the 195/45/16 or downsize to 185/55/15

·
Registered
289 Posts
Greetings All!

I am currently trying to find winter steel wheels and rubber for my lady friend. She has a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport.

Since 195/45/R16 is of limited availability and expensive, I am looking at other options, such as 185/55R15 OR 175/65R14 (IF a 14" wheel will clear the calipers). I do know that Fiat uses 4x98 bolt pattern, and between 30 and 40 mms of offset.

Questions I have:

(1) Are the Fiat wheels hub or lug centric?
(2) Would a 14" wheel clear the calipers, or is 15" the smallest I can go?
(3) Should a 4x100 bolt pattern with wobble bolts work?

Thanks!
A 14" wheel will fit. go with a 175/65/14 or 185/60/14. you can use 4x100 wheels if you use a hub centering ring and adjustable seat bolts. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Based on the tire size calculator tool from 1010tires.com-> http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

This is not a recommended settings as it will exceed the 3% difference and will put extra load on your brake!

Stock Tire - 195/45R16 vs Tire 1 - 195/50R16

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 58.0 mph 96.7 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 3.357% slower
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 3.26%

You should either go with the 195/45/16 or downsize to 185/55/15
Uh, no.

We'll go with what we've got, and I HIGHLY doubt that there's any amount of strain put on the braking system by this slightly larger tire.

As for the speedometer difference, you have forgotten about the built in speedo error from the factory. This should make the speedo just about accurate now.

So, your website has only provided one bit of useful info, which I already knew, and that the tires are slightly larger than stock.

BC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Uh, no.

We'll go with what we've got, and I HIGHLY doubt that there's any amount of strain put on the braking system by this slightly larger tire.

As for the speedometer difference, you have forgotten about the built in speedo error from the factory. This should make the speedo just about accurate now.

So, your website has only provided one bit of useful info, which I already knew, and that the tires are slightly larger than stock.

BC.
Not to say that it is absolutely right and I am not sure what extra load will be put on the brake. That's just information from an on line tire/wheel shops that I used previously. The fact is that the speedometer will not reflect the actual speed. I doubt the error (3 % slower) will be compensated by the factory error? What happen if the factory error (if any) is not 3 % faster, but 3% slower already? This mean it will be 6% slower altogether! Going at 106 km/h will show as going at 100km/h. Is that a big deal, may be not for being a bit faster than it really is. :rolleyes:

Afterall, it will be personal choice, people can do what they want, just thought that the information will be useful as a reference for OP who need some feedback. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.