Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scoured 6 pages of forum posts & couldn't find how to wire my standard 14-gauge extension cord (with plug cut off) into an $8 10-50 plug like this, to charge from an old oven outlet:

Amazon search of "10-50 Plug" (click to enlarge):
Tire Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Automotive wheel system

Googled images of "NEMA 10-50 black white green chart":
Product Font Pink Material property Rectangle

Do I connect as follows?...(EDITED based on @ga2500ev who I've now quoted in post #4 below):
  • green ground to white neutral
  • black to 1 black, white to other black (doesn't matter which)

Background: After over 6 years driving fine with only 120V home charging, I'm FINALLY going to barely exceed my 500e's daily range, to go 119 miles in one day, possibly starting at 93% or less, taking a friend's neighbor to the airport, then only a couple hours charging at home before taking my neighbor to the dentist.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks @500Neat! I had found those exact items already*, but since I'm only needing it to do favors once in over 6 years, I'd rather spend only a couple gallons of gas worth, not a whole tank.

THANKS @ga2500ev !! I edited my original post above, since I THINK I FOUND THE ANSWER here** & here*** after scouring 6 more pages of just YOUR forum posts, since I thought you were the one who posted it, & it looks like I remembered THAT part right:
Automotive tire Yellow Rectangle Gas Cylinder

** "...get a 10-30 3-prong dryer power cord and this 5-20 connector. Wire the three lines into the connector, making sure that THE NEUTRAL LINE CONNECTS TO THE GROUND (green screw) on the connector...

*** "... Both of the non ground connections get their own 120V circuit, so the ordering doesn't matter.

"Do you have a multimeter? If so then do a continuity check between the L shaped pin on the dryer plug to locate the ground connection. Again make sure that one goes to the green nut in the 5-20R. Then connect both of the other two lines to the other nuts (gold/silver) in any order. I'd then plug it in and check the AC voltages before plugging in the EVSE. The T port and the vertical slot should show 240V volts and each of those slots should be 120V relative to the ground. If that's the case, then you're good to go."

Note that I'm using 5-15 (with a vertical slot in place of the T port) & 10-50 (with vertical blade in place of the L pin), but their wiring is shown identical to the @ga2500ev 5-20 & 10-30:
Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

* Exact same "grow light plug adapter" for less though here & here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put together one of these and as everyone has said it works great. Remember that it charges about twice as fast as 110 because the internal charger only goes up to something like 16 amps. Definitely handy and I keep it in my trunk area now that I've got a proper wall charger.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, compared to 120V, the OEM cord is only twice as fast on 240V, since it's 12 amps at either voltage, adding about 5% & 10% per hour, respectively.

Even 120V would likely work for my upcoming 119-mile day, with its couple hours home-charging between trips. However I might not start with 100% since the plug where I'm starting that day isn't always available. But the OEM on 240V during the home stop will be more than enough.

16A is the maximum for a J1772 connection on 120V, but this car's internal onboard charger is only 14A on 120V (click to enlarge):
Tire Vehicle Hood Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts