Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone accessed wiring around the dome lights? I bought what I think is the same autodim mirror that can come in the 500 lounge. (The Gentex model looks just like what is in the picture of the manual).

I got the light and the sunroof switch out, but wanted to know if there would be a tail for the mirror up there before I tap into the sunroof switch wiring.

I plan to pull down a little of the head liner to look back there but thought I'd ask before I get in much deeper.

Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I posted to ask about this a while ago as I want to install a homelink mirror from Gentex, but I never got a clear answer. You need ignition-switched power, constant power, and ground. You obviously have constant power for dome light; I don't have a sunroof but wasn't sure if the sunroof ignition-switched power might be there anyway. Another idea suggested to me was to use the power for the hands-free microphone, which I guess is up there. I'd assumed the microphone was the thing down by my auto climate controls, but apparently that's the air sampler for the climate control (which makes sense).

Anyway, keep me apprised of what you find when you peel back the headliner as this is high on my list of projects.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i am in the process of purchasing a homelink mirror with compass and then will have it installed at a local shop
this will probably happen in the next two weeks

if you dont have an answer by then i will have one from the shop who will install it for me..they are doing a combo package
including this plus fogs, int ambient lighting package, and a flashing led for my alarm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's installed and working. I thought it would be too big as it's wider, but it's less 'tall' and the double joint allows if to be moved closer to the roof so I find it less intrusive.

I took down the front of the headliner and did not find any part of a harness 'taped up' as I have in other cars.
The only switched 12V source up there go to the sunroof switch. I tapped from the black (ground) and the one next to it (switched 12V) which think that one is black/blue stripe.

I may move the connection is I ever have to do more work around there.

The mirror came with enough wire to reach the fuse block, but with the side curtain air bags I'm wary of taking apart the A-pillar area to run it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It's installed and working. I thought it would be too big as it's wider, but it's less 'tall' and the double joint allows if to be moved closer to the roof so I find it less intrusive.The mirror came with enough wire to reach the fuse block, but with the side curtain air bags I'm wary of taking apart the A-pillar area to run it.
What type 'mount' did you get for your mirror? Did you purchase the little wire cover to hide the wires from the mirror to the edge of the windshield? Were you able to get the compass in orange vs the green ones that I've seen? Did you increase the fuse rating for the map/reading lights or sunroof? Pix if you get the chance!Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
700 Posts
what model is the mirror and like the last poster what type of mount does it use

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the auto dim and compass only version from an e-bay auction. It looks to be this mirror which matches the picture in the manual:
http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors.html

This has a blue compass display. I plan to open it up and see if I can change it to an orange color.
As for the mount, I left the original mount. It seems like it won't work as the taper is different than the new mirror.
We mechanical engineers know that any 2 rigid object only really mate at 3 points (even 2 'flat' surfaces). No matter how the mount is shaped/tapered, the parts only need 3 points: one on each side of the taper and the holding screw. I mounted mine this way and it does not shake or vibrate.

I do not have the wire cover yet, but can order it from the same site shown above for $2.50. Frankly, the run is so short and is over the fully black area of the windshield, I'm not in a hurry to get it.

I did not increase the fuse rating as the power draw of the mirror is fairly low.

Evan

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts