Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposed to be a relaxing grocery shopping Sunday until I left my parking lot and out of sudden wasn't able to shift in gear.
I stopped and felt the clutch was stiffer then normal, wasn't able to shift in any gears. I could only shift in when the engine was off.
Now the car is parked on the street.

According to other thread:
[h=1]Stiff clutch, and car won't shift into gear! (Getting sick of all these issues)[/h]
Parts may need to be replaced:
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch plate
Pressure plate
---
In other thread, some mentioned the clutch is not covered.
I took out my warranty booklet, under pg.21, 6 Maintenance Program, 6.1 General Information C...Some of these covered maintenance items include: Engine oil service; Inspection service; Brakes; Wiper blades; Clutch discs or modular clutch assembly (as equipped);
--
I'm going to reach a Fiat dealership in Fremont tomorrow and then tow my Fiat for them to take a look.
Hopefully got all the problem fixed without taking thousands from my pocket.
I mean, it's less than 36 months old and only has 32,500 Mi on it. I'm not even a daily driver and mostly driving it over the weekend. The mileage was mostly added up when I drove across country from east coast.

Will update the progress, feel free to add any suggest:)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The bad news is that FIAT's policy is 12 months or 12,000 miles on clutch assembly components. Based on the majority of comments seen here it is not the clutch disc itself, but the pressure plate that is the problem. If you have a local garage you trust to work on a foreign (which it is) FWD vehicle you may come out much cheaper purchasing the required parts and having them do the work. Most FIAT service departments charge anywhere from $1,200 to $2,000 dollars to change out the clutch assembly.

I'm sure you are more than annoyed at this situation and want to do battle with the 'powers that be'. Should you go forward with that, I wish you luck in the endeavor but don't offer a lot of hope in getting FIAT to eat any of the cost.

Reactions: Fiat500SF

·
Registered
254 Posts
Same thing happened to me when the syncros for 1st and 2nd gear disintegrated. They thought it was the pressure plate. Chrysler ended up buying back the car it cost so much to fix.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sucks..... Keep us posted on how it turns out!

·
Registered
221 Posts
What are people replacing their clutch with? OE parts or aftermarket? I've noticed quite a few posts over the year of people with clutch issues... we have had such a plethora of problems with our 12' that if we were to have clutch failure added to the list and at such low miles (we only have 17k on it now) if it were not covered I'd fight tooth and nail to have it bought back... it's a shame because my wife loves the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night, I made the appointment online for next week, but they didn't call back today to confirm . (May be it's a good sign)
Anyway, I'll give the service department a call tomorrow and find out an exact date for them to take a look.
Well, thankfully I live 10 min away from the BART station so I'm able to get to work.
---

·
Registered
969 Posts
My dealer never responded to my online appointment request... I think it's a feature of the Fiat website template that some dealers don't understand how to use. I got an email from Fiat asking how my experience with service was after requesting an appointment online. I told them I never heard back from the dealer... then I never heard back from that person either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm literally having the same challenges today. My car worked great and then all of the sudden WHILE DRIVING I couldn't shift gears. Fiat is claiming that it is my clutch-the car only has 30,000 miles on it and is in incredible condition. I'm going to try and contact corporate to talk this through with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, left a phone message with Fiat service but never return the call. I called them today. Through the conversation, I felt the "unable to shift" issue is not new to them.
Appointment will be on next Monday. Pretty it'll be like this:
If they tear down the mechanical part(clutch) and find out it's the defected pressure plate, then it's all covered(parts+labour).
If they find out it's the clutch, labor itself(to take it down for inspection) is $135/hour X 3= $405.
I didn't ask what if I decided to not fix, and how much will be the cost to put them back together.
And I didn't ask how much to if it's something wrong with the clutch plate.
They DO warn me about the clutch is not cover under the factory warranty.
(For quality purpose, the conversation may be recorded on their phone:p)

My thinking process:
A)Pressure plate--> FREE!! sweet!!
B) Clutch --> Not fixing at the dealership = $405(Labour)+ $100(towing back)+$100(make up fees)= $605 :(
C) Clutch --> repair at the dealership = $1,000+ :( :(
D) May be the clutch will un-freeze tomorrow for no explaination --> FREE :D

We'll see.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
So, left a phone message with Fiat service but never return the call. I called them today. Through the conversation, I felt the "unable to shift" issue is not new to them.
Appointment will be on next Monday. Pretty it'll be like this:
If they tear down the mechanical part(clutch) and find out it's the defected pressure plate, then it's all covered(parts+labour).
If they find out it's the clutch, labor itself(to take it down for inspection) is $135/hour X 3= $405.
I didn't ask what if I decided to not fix, and how much will be the cost to put them back together.
And I didn't ask how much to if it's something wrong with the clutch plate.
They DO warn me about the clutch is not cover under the factory warranty.
(For quality purpose, the conversation may be recorded on their phone:p)

My thinking process:
A)Pressure plate--> FREE!! sweet!!
B) Clutch --> Not fixing at the dealership = $405(Labour)+ $100(towing back)+$100(make up fees)= $605 :(
C) Clutch --> repair at the dealership = $1,000+ :( :(
D) May be the clutch will un-freeze tomorrow for no explaination --> FREE :D

We'll see.
Fiat500SF:

Assistance will be based on the coverage on you vehicle based on your VIN and when you purchased the vehicle. It will depend on if the vehicle has/had the Forward Care on it as a promotion. I reached out to you via PM but, not sure why you did not receive it. If you would like me to look into it further, please PM me with your VIN. I helped "Natalie" in the same fashion...

Reactions: buttaz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FiatCares,
Got your 2nd PM, provided all the information at my 1st PM to you.
I'm still communicating with the dealership, will update the status to everyone when I've got the result.
---

·
Registered
513 Posts
Based on the recurrence of the clutch issues I would say that this is a safety concern where the NHTSA should be involved. I would document this on their website and try to request an investigation. Let's say this happens in an intersection an you are unable to move?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
FiatCares,
Got your 2nd PM, provided all the information at my 1st PM to you.
I'm still communicating with the dealership, will update the status to everyone when I've got the result.
---
Sounds good. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Based on the recurrence of the clutch issues I would say that this is a safety concern where the NHTSA should be involved. I would document this on their website and try to request an investigation. Let's say this happens in an intersection an you are unable to move?
Definitely should be considered a safety concern, I almost got hit on the highway because I was unable to switch gear!!

- buttaz 2012 Sport

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me on January 11, I live over an hour to my FIAT studio, and had it go to my local FIAT repair shop. I have 61K miles on the car, I guess i am lucky/unlucky. It is a defective pressure plate, and FIAT will not assist with any of the cost. But the best part is my Studio does not even return the calls to my mechanic regarding the parts. I loved my FIAT, but I have to have a reliable car. I guess FIAT still stands for Fix it again Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happened to me on January 11, I live over an hour to my FIAT studio, and had it go to my local FIAT repair shop. I have 61K miles on the car, I guess i am lucky/unlucky. It is a defective pressure plate, and FIAT will not assist with any of the cost.
I encourage you to file a report as goaterguy suggested. The DOT won't know to investigate without consumer input. The more consumers who experience the problem and make an official complaint, the more likely a mandated recall will be. Recall campaigns are available regardless of the vehicle's mileage and reimbursements can be distributed to those who already paid for the repairs themselves.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Exactly. If you read the complaints already posted in the NHTSA site, a large amount of drivetrain issues are related to clutch problems. That way the dealer can't tell you "oh we have never heard of clutch problems with this car..." or the typical "you can't believe what is posted on the internet".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts