Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Tried to get the car started the other day and once i put the key in the dash lights up "Hill Assist Unavailable Consult Owners Manual". It looks like the lights in the dash are pretty dim and there are a plethora of warning lights flashing. When I turn the key it would make a whining groan sound as if it does not have enough power to turn over. ESC, Check Engine, and a few others are lit up / flashing but i cant remember exactly off the top of my head. Called roadside assistance and they wanted to try a jump first as they thought the battery was dead. Headlights where strong and radio had no issues so I didnt think that would solve the trick. After a few hours of waiting I find that no one will dispatch a truck due to poor weather conditions. Had a friend come by and try a jump and as expected didnt work. Fiat towed in the car the next day.

Dealership calls and informs me that first and foremost my ATM CAI may void my warranty if they find that to be the reason for the engine. Funny as before I installed it I called and asked if the instal would void anything and of course they said no. Car had also been in for service with it on before and no word on a removal recommendation. Apparently a fiat specific tech was very concerned this was installed and was wondering why the intake was in the cowl where he thinks a bunch of water can collect....i call bull honkey. Ive washed it many times and have always checked the cowl area after and there's never been a pool of water. They asked if it was a generic CAI that I retro-fitted into the car and i can see them pulling a fast one on me here.

Also car has 6900 miles and received an oil change at 4000. I drive under a mile to work a day (particular about parking haha) and rarely drive much on the weekends. Somehow 2 quarts of oil have been used up in 3900 miles. Dealership "wasnt pointing fingers" but saying high reving would cause this. Very rarely will I drive it hard and if so for a very short bit of road. Curious as to how the oil is being gobbled up so quickly.

Had previously been in for a non start issue and they couldnt replicate the issue so nothing was fixed. Also about 3-4 times a month I'll start it up in the morning, put it in reverse, then once i start to give it some gas and let out the car pops out of gear and makes a lovely grinding sound. I know for a fact this isnt user error letting the clutch out too fast or anything. Fiat of course couldnt replicate the issue when i brought it in for service so that is still happening. Also when I take a full left turn it makes a higher pitch metal on metal soft grinding noise.

Mainly concerned about the threat for voided warranty here due to the CAI. Anyone suffer similar engine starting issues with the hill assist issue and a whining groan with it not turning over? Also curious for feedback for other issues but if they try to void the warranty here I will not be a happy camper.

thanks!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
U. S. Federal law protects users who have purchased a warranty through a dealer. I don't recall the statute number though. If the dealership can prove the cold air intake caused a malfunction then it can void warranty for that specific issue only. You can't claim voided warranty if you install a new exhaust system and the radio fails. Personally I don't see how a cold air intake would cause anything remotely close to burning oil. I would demand to know what exactly the problem is then tell them you will speak to your attorney.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There have been a few people recently with issues over a bad battery. The electrical issues seem to be related to that.
The only concern over water and a CAI would be hydro-locking, but that doesn't explain any of the electrical issues.

I am not adept on US law, but do know that in the US the manufacturer has the onus to prove that the after-market modifications caused the damage in question. (that is not the case in Canada). Make sure that they are aware that THEY need to come up with some technical explanation as to how your modification could possibly have caused the damage. A note to this point is that they can charge you for these diagnostic fees, and if the result is that they do have some explanation then you may not be reimbursed for those costs.

There have been quite a few reports of oil burning issues with this engine. The dealer telling you that it is because of revving too high sounds like they made an over sight. Do you have the service records to show that they did in fact make the claim that your burning oil issue is related to how you drive? If you do then this seems like a very easy way to discredit them. If they didn't complain about the CAI for extra oil consumption then they will have a hard time telling you now that the damage is caused by the CAI.

Good luck with this.

Have you reached out to Chrysler about this rather than just your dealership? That is usually the next step when the dealership isn't as helpful as you would expect them to be.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Symptoms sound identical to mine. But I do not have a CAI.
When driving thru fresh snow, on 2 separate occurrences, I had multiple codes/lights/errors that you seem to have had.

The CEL came on. What for? I do not know. Very soon after the dash reads,'' Hill Start Assist Unavailable....Etc."
Also get a Power Steering Light with a Message. Another message reading, '' EBD Failure''? and ESC becomes unresponsive( Stuck in whatever it was sat in). The ABS light came on, and displayed a message too. Oh ya, AND the ''Engine Heater Recommended'' message scrolled across.... It was 16F out in Southern OK that day.

At both these times when I turn left and only left, my driver side wheel rubs on the inside fender area. Or it seriously sounds like its coming from rubbing in my inner fender well. Maybe this is the grinding you hear?

The Rubbing is NOT caused by ice/snow accumulating in the inner fender well.

Both instances happened in fairly thick snow. I replicated it with ESC Full off, and on as normal.

The 2nd time it happened, just a few days ago. I was forced to tow the car home.
Lights were dim. But not consistently dim. I was able to rev the car to 5k RPMs at times, but the next moment I could not floor it to get over 2-3k maybe...

I thought ice may have jammed my rear brakes. Making the car drag it's back end.
That wasn't the case either. The rears rolled free, and when I pull the e-Brake they lock up and drag.

Since than I've had no problems, and the dash lights were gone the next day when we started the car to go to work.

I don't know what caused my troubles. But the car seems fine now.
And doesn't rub at all in a hard left. Will be curious to find out what your problem may be.

Reactions: OsuracNave

·
Registered
777 Posts
Intermittant power problems are difficult to diagnose.
I had the same problem with an older car. remove the battery connectors from the battery and check for corrosion. clean the battery posts and reinstall. Also as stated above it could be a bad battery. It will produce 12 volts but cant give out enough amps to run things properly. Although being jumped should have started your car. After that I think the dealer needs to chase grounding issues.

Reactions: OsuracNave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Intermittant power problems are difficult to diagnose.
I had the same problem with an older car. remove the battery connectors from the battery and check for corrosion. clean the battery posts and reinstall. Also as stated above it could be a bad battery. It will produce 12 volts but cant give out enough amps to run things properly. Although being jumped should have started your car. After that I think the dealer needs to chase grounding issues.
Either a cell in the battery is bad or you have a bad ground. Odds are, stick a voltmeter on the battery with the car running - if you can get it running anyways - and if you don't have 14.2-14.4 volts (and you have less than 12.5v with car off) then it's a bad battery. Intermittent issues are almost 100% a bad ground. If it happens when you turn left, then it's a bad ground that's being affected by a minor amount of chassis flex.

I spent the better part of 4 years diagnosing electrical issues for KIA/VW, trust me they have plenty of them. Ex: Yup we're gonna paint the whole car, stick an engine in it, throw in an interior.....wait a minute, think we forgot something.......oops, well Bob I think we need to put a wire harness in it. I swear that's how KIA/Hyundai's are assembled, and the chassis grounds ALL have paint between the ground termination and where it's mounted.

You want a simple way to solve the issue, try that first. As for the CAI, piss on them; unless you broke a ground wire, seeing as how it's been there a while, doubt it. Check battery voltage with and without running, if that's good - start chasing ground wires and make sure you don't have a nasty looking termination. Good luck, let us know the results.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The CAI could void your warranty, but only if the issue is a direct result of the CAI (for instance, if the intake tube is low and you ingested water into the engine). Think about it- if you sold the car and someone modded it and it screwed up the car, would *you* want to be held responsible for their actions?

As it is, though, I don't think the CAI caused any issue; looks to be an electrical issue which has nothing to do with CAI.

And the federal law that applies is the Magnuson Moss Act.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty thanks everyone for the feedback. They said that it was a relay to the throttle body that was causing the issue. No talk about the CAI this time. Also during the oil change to fill it back up they found three coolant leaks haha. Picking it up tonight so well see how it acts. I asked if they thought it was a battery issue and she said it was all healthy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally agree with ya. I wa just dumbfounded how they could even consider that to be the issue with everything being electrical related

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hmmmm.... interesting that a stuck relay could cause all that mayhem. That's one of the problems I have with all cars these days- there isn't a direct cause-effect between hardware failures and the faults reported. It's all controlled by software and the programming doesn't always give results you would otherwise expect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmmm.... interesting that a stuck relay could cause all that mayhem. That's one of the problems I have with all cars these days- there isn't a direct cause-effect between hardware failures and the faults reported. It's all controlled by software and the programming doesn't always give results you would otherwise expect.
Consider a bad ground Doohickie, if it gets feedback or not fully grounding - then it'll mess with the ECM/BCM and cause all kinds of sporadic behavior.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Tried to get the car started the other day and once i put the key in the dash lights up "Hill Assist Unavailable Consult Owners Manual". It looks like the lights in the dash are pretty dim and there are a plethora of warning lights flashing. When I turn the key it would make a whining groan sound as if it does not have enough power to turn over. ESC, Check Engine, and a few others are lit up / flashing but i cant remember exactly off the top of my head. Called roadside assistance and they wanted to try a jump first as they thought the battery was dead. Headlights where strong and radio had no issues so I didnt think that would solve the trick. After a few hours of waiting I find that no one will dispatch a truck due to poor weather conditions. Had a friend come by and try a jump and as expected didnt work. Fiat towed in the car the next day.

Dealership calls and informs me that first and foremost my ATM CAI may void my warranty if they find that to be the reason for the engine. Funny as before I installed it I called and asked if the instal would void anything and of course they said no. Car had also been in for service with it on before and no word on a removal recommendation. Apparently a fiat specific tech was very concerned this was installed and was wondering why the intake was in the cowl where he thinks a bunch of water can collect....i call bull honkey. Ive washed it many times and have always checked the cowl area after and there's never been a pool of water. They asked if it was a generic CAI that I retro-fitted into the car and i can see them pulling a fast one on me here.

Also car has 6900 miles and received an oil change at 4000. I drive under a mile to work a day (particular about parking haha) and rarely drive much on the weekends. Somehow 2 quarts of oil have been used up in 3900 miles. Dealership "wasnt pointing fingers" but saying high reving would cause this. Very rarely will I drive it hard and if so for a very short bit of road. Curious as to how the oil is being gobbled up so quickly.

Had previously been in for a non start issue and they couldnt replicate the issue so nothing was fixed. Also about 3-4 times a month I'll start it up in the morning, put it in reverse, then once i start to give it some gas and let out the car pops out of gear and makes a lovely grinding sound. I know for a fact this isnt user error letting the clutch out too fast or anything. Fiat of course couldnt replicate the issue when i brought it in for service so that is still happening. Also when I take a full left turn it makes a higher pitch metal on metal soft grinding noise.

Mainly concerned about the threat for voided warranty here due to the CAI. Anyone suffer similar engine starting issues with the hill assist issue and a whining groan with it not turning over? Also curious for feedback for other issues but if they try to void the warranty here I will not be a happy camper.

thanks!!!
Cooper is correct, the dealer cant just void your entire warranty because of a CAI. They would have to prove that this modification caused the concern. And even if the CAI caused something to fail, the warranty would be voided on only that particular component, not the entire vehicle. If you would like, PM me your VIN and I can look into this for you

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Glad to see it worked out.

Reactions: Doohickie

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
so, what about the copious amounts of oil being used? 2 quarts in just under 4000 miles sounds like a bit much.

·
Registered
443 Posts
lots of very short trips can contribute to higher than normal oil consumption...

·
Registered
921 Posts
lots or engine braking could pass more oil. It might be the coolant leaks if internal were leading to some. You would have oil residue in the coolant recovery tank is so.

The no start could very well have been due to low oil, and it not being able to fully prime the valve actuation system.

There was one recent report of an engine that had the rings installed wrong. Watch the oil consumption closely going forward. It may have been someone put the wrong oil in too, which could lead to excess usage.

Study this, as sounding educated and informed when discussing with your service writer may serve you well:

http://www.amsoil.com//techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB MO-2004-04-03 Oil Consumption.pdf

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
so, what about the copious amounts of oil being used? 2 quarts in just under 4000 miles sounds like a bit much.
The old industry standard for oil consumption is 1 quart per 1000 miles for vehicles under 50,000 miles. For vehicles over 50,000 miles, they say 1 quart per 800 miles. Im sure the dealer will find something if anything is wrong, Im just glad the 'voiding' the warranty is not in question anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts