Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
The old industry standard for oil consumption is 1 quart per 1000 miles for vehicles under 50,000 miles. For vehicles over 50,000 miles, they say 1 quart per 800 miles. Im sure the dealer will find something if anything is wrong, Im just glad the 'voiding' the warranty is not in question anymore.
I am glad to say I have never owned a vehicle that burns that much oil, and it sounds excessive but I guess an easy way to wiggle out of doing anything about it.

Gerhard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yeah i am going to monitor the oil issue going forward to see if it continues. Seems pretty excessive. I'll wait until another CEL is thrown and I have to bring it in to see if they can do anything to address the other issues.

popped out of reverse again this morning haha.

I had plans on installing a ECU but now im a bit worried that if i have any further electronic issues they will blame that and go back to the voiding talks. thanks for all the feedback though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cooper is correct, the dealer cant just void your entire warranty because of a CAI. They would have to prove that this modification caused the concern. And even if the CAI caused something to fail, the warranty would be voided on only that particular component, not the entire vehicle. If you would like, PM me your VIN and I can look into this for you
Thanks! All good for now but if anything else comes about i'll shoot you a message.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
The old industry standard for oil consumption is 1 quart per 1000 miles for vehicles under 50,000 miles. For vehicles over 50,000 miles, they say 1 quart per 800 miles. Im sure the dealer will find something if anything is wrong, Im just glad the 'voiding' the warranty is not in question anymore.
yikes on the numbers. I have yet to add oil on any previous vehicle purchase until the 500 put I put a few ounces in every 6000 k's so even that is good.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
CAI should not void your warranty for a bad battery...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I burn about a quart every 3k miles, but make a good amount of short trips and spend a good amount of my time over 3k. I did just switch from Rotella T6 to Motul 8100 X-clean to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Had to get gas today so I thought I would check the oil, it was full to the top and looked as clean as if it was just poured in. I had the oil changed just about 3,000 km 1,800 miles) ago. Happy my car is well below what they claim normal oil usage.

Gerhard

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The old industry standard for oil consumption is 1 quart per 1000 miles for vehicles under 50,000 miles. .
im sure that is a good standard for the oil industry or service writer. in the real world, 1 quart per 1000 miles is ridiculous. ive owned 12 small cars over the last 31 years, and some of them were driven very very hard. I have never seen a quart of consumption over a 1000 mile stretch. it is excessive. even with all the issues ive had with my 500, it was down 1/2 quart per 8000 miles. I find that acceptable, but I am used to less with Toyotas ive owned, as well as the last 2 hyundais. does fiat think every average joe checks their oil regularly. every auto manufacturer knows many drivers do not. they get their oil changes when scheduled. if they were using 1 qt per 1000 miles, there would be a bunch of engine failure by 5k-8k oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am glad to say I have never owned a vehicle that burns that much oil, and it sounds excessive but I guess an easy way to wiggle out of doing anything about it.

Gerhard
that is the only reason a manufacturer would claim that type of standard.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Had to get gas today so I thought I would check the oil, it was full to the top and looked as clean as if it was just poured in. I had the oil changed just about 3,000 km 1,800 miles) ago. Happy my car is well below what they claim normal oil usage.

Gerhard
The OP has an Abarth which is turbocharged vs yours, which is a normally aspirated 1.4 l engine. My N/A '12 Sport didn't use enough oil to register usage on the dipstick between changes, which weren't 8,000 miles, but were 6 months in length. I'm not the typical Abarth owner. I have a little over 2 months of ownership and less than 1,000 miles on the odometer so I can't make any comment on actual oil consumption, yet, however, it does appear that the huff N puff engines consume more oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I drive under a mile to work a day (particular about parking haha) and rarely drive much on the weekends. Somehow 2 quarts of oil have been used up in 3900 miles. Dealership "wasnt pointing fingers" but saying high reving would cause this. Very rarely will I drive it hard and if so for a very short bit of road. Curious as to how the oil is being gobbled up so quickly.
Short trips less than 20mi is extremely hard on motors. Trips less than 1-2mi on a continuous basis could be detrimental. Possibly the cause of your motor burning oil. Surprised the dealer didnt bring this up with you???? 2 quarts isnt that much in 4k miles if your doing short trips.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Also car has 6900 miles and received an oil change at 4000. I drive under a mile to work a day (particular about parking haha) and rarely drive much on the weekends. Somehow 2 quarts of oil have been used up in 3900 miles. Dealership "wasnt pointing fingers" but saying high reving would cause this. Very rarely will I drive it hard and if so for a very short bit of road. Curious as to how the oil is being gobbled up so quickly.
I think that kind of driving is hard on more than your engine. Part of the by product of combustion is water and when you never properly warm up your engine this water will contaminate the oil and condense in the exhaust leading to corrosion.

Gerhard

·
Registered
921 Posts
Along with the moisture from all the compressed air, unburnt gas can be pushed past rings during the rich cold starts. Failure to maintain operating temperature for very long in short drives will not let that be burned out of the oil just as with the moisture, and the gas will dilute your oil, decreasing it's film strength, and increasing wear and consumption even further. You wind up depleting the additive package much more quickly, drastically decreasing your oil change intervals.

I'd say find a long way around to and from your destination to burn off the gas and moisture buildup daily. With such regular short drives you have to treat your maintenance program as though the car is used in the severe duty category.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
thanks for all the tips!! i guess i should just walk to work more often to avoid the short detrimental drive. Filled it up over the weekend and didn't see any alarming oil level issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues. Tried to get the car started the other day and once i put the key in the dash lights up "Hill Assist Unavailable Consult Owners Manual". It looks like the lights in the dash are pretty dim and there are a plethora of warning lights flashing. When I turn the key it would make a whining groan sound as if it does not have enough power to turn over. ESC, Check Engine, and a few others are lit up / flashing but i cant remember exactly off the top of my head. Called roadside assistance and they wanted to try a jump first as they thought the battery was dead. Headlights where strong and radio had no issues so I didnt think that would solve the trick. After a few hours of waiting I find that no one will dispatch a truck due to poor weather conditions. Had a friend come by and try a jump and as expected didnt work. Fiat towed in the car the next day.

Dealership calls and informs me that first and foremost my ATM CAI may void my warranty if they find that to be the reason for the engine. Funny as before I installed it I called and asked if the instal would void anything and of course they said no. Car had also been in for service with it on before and no word on a removal recommendation. Apparently a fiat specific tech was very concerned this was installed and was wondering why the intake was in the cowl where he thinks a bunch of water can collect....i call bull honkey. Ive washed it many times and have always checked the cowl area after and there's never been a pool of water. They asked if it was a generic CAI that I retro-fitted into the car and i can see them pulling a fast one on me here.

Also car has 6900 miles and received an oil change at 4000. I drive under a mile to work a day (particular about parking haha) and rarely drive much on the weekends. Somehow 2 quarts of oil have been used up in 3900 miles. Dealership "wasnt pointing fingers" but saying high reving would cause this. Very rarely will I drive it hard and if so for a very short bit of road. Curious as to how the oil is being gobbled up so quickly.

Had previously been in for a non start issue and they couldnt replicate the issue so nothing was fixed. Also about 3-4 times a month I'll start it up in the morning, put it in reverse, then once i start to give it some gas and let out the car pops out of gear and makes a lovely grinding sound. I know for a fact this isnt user error letting the clutch out too fast or anything. Fiat of course couldnt replicate the issue when i brought it in for service so that is still happening. Also when I take a full left turn it makes a higher pitch metal on metal soft grinding noise.

Mainly concerned about the threat for voided warranty here due to the CAI. Anyone suffer similar engine starting issues with the hill assist issue and a whining groan with it not turning over? Also curious for feedback for other issues but if they try to void the warranty here I will not be a happy camper.

thanks!!!
What ended up happening? Having the same issues with mine. Just another day, no warning. Hill assist and steering error messages. Power to everything just won't turn over.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts