Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my Sport. Purchased July 2011. November 2011 one morning it started, then shut off, then would not start. Checked the usual things. Battery fine. Tow truck on its way, and it starts right up. Had it towed to dealership, and they can't find anything wrong. Nothing shows up on the computer. Car runs great!

Fast forward to February 2012....Saturday the 4th, took a trip. Everything was fine. Then at one stop, the remote key not opening door. Car doesn't start. HeadLights will not go on. Panel lights all go on as I try to start it up. AAA comes, battery fine, alternator fine. They try to start it, nothing. Tow truck on its way 2 hours later....car starts right up.

Drive it next day, fine. Monday morning, doesn't start. Tow truck on its way, starts up (about two hours later).

Tow it to the dealership, they can't find anything. Been there a week, they've been in touch with Fiat Engineers, checked everything they can think of (fuel pump, oil pump, ground). Nothing. They want to "recreate" what happened.
This is not an issue where car sat for long periods (weeks).
They are at a loss and don't know what to tell me.

Anyone out there with similar difficulties?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
That sounds like a classic scenario where the ground is bad to me. You say they checked it, but did they just check that the battery's ground terminal was solidly connected, or did they actually check that the various bits each had good ground connections? The battery terminal is the most likely place but it could certainly be other places too.

Hope it gets sorted - sounds like you've had a good go so far otherwise.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
This was talked about all last week, do a search without re-posting the same issue.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
As a courtesy, I bumped that thread to the top again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So I'm wondering, does this all mean that in this car you really *should* keep cranking it if it doesn't start? I was told long ago that you shouldn't crank for more than maybe 5-10 seconds to avoid burning out the starter (or the alternator, perhaps) but it sounds like in this car, at certain times, you're best to crank for a good long time. I agree with the previously-stated opinion that if this is really the case, the dash should indicate it somehow - perhaps a "valves priming" message or something.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It's just a ground wire issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds like a classic scenario where the ground is bad to me. You say they checked it, but did they just check that the battery's ground terminal was solidly connected, or did they actually check that the various bits each had good ground connections? The battery terminal is the most likely place but it could certainly be other places too.

Hope it gets sorted - sounds like you've had a good go so far otherwise.
Thank you for this talindsay. I am in regular contact with the service center. I will double check with them on this. Have asked them about bolts, etc. They have been in contact with Fiat engineering. They would like to recreate the issue, but of course can't.

Frustrating. Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just a ground wire issue.
Would you like the number of the service center so you can tell them? I have spoken to them about this several times, and they are assuring me it is not.
I'd be glad to have someone else talk to them. Its the Kelly Service Center in Lynnfield, Massachusetts.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Funny, my dealer found it right away after looking through their checklist. Not a single issue in 4 days and it's been in the 20s F

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out it is NOT a ground wire issue, but an issue with the KEY. Apparently the computer in the key went haywire and then completely stopped working.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Turns out it is NOT a ground wire issue, but an issue with the KEY. Apparently the computer in the key went haywire and then completely stopped working.
Both keys went bad, or just one key?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fortunately, I keep my keys numbered for just such an emergency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 500 Pop has done this three times in the three months I have owned it. Once a few weeks after I bought it, and twice today (morning and afternoon).

I try to start it, it makes like it wants to turn over and fire up but doesn't. I try a second time and it starts.

Each time today I made sure the lights, A/C, etc. are all off. The first time it was a very hot day but today was 62 degrees the first time and 78 degrees the second time.

I'm not mechanically inclined and with this car I would have no idea what it could be. If it happens again I will take it in to the dealership and hope and pray it won't cost a bunch to fix :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
If it happens again I will take it in to the dealership and hope and pray it won't cost a bunch to fix :(
Your car is practically brand new.
Unless you have over 50k miles on it, or you bought it with a salvage title, its going to be covered for free by the FIAT Dealer.

Why do you even think its going to cost you a single penny?

BC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your car is practically brand new.
Unless you have over 50k miles on it, or you bought it with a salvage title, its going to be covered for free by the FIAT Dealer.

Why do you even think its going to cost you a single penny?

BC.
You never know what sort of things they might try to come up with to avoid covering something under warranty. I have 1700 miles on it and it is not salvaged, just babied and well taken care of.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts