Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this has yet been posted...and it is somewhat similar to the posy mentioned below only instead of the negative pointing to the Volt this time it is the Sonic. This article focuses on the tech aspect a good deal if you care to look over the entire article and not just the end as it related to the FIAT. Along the lines of the post here mentioned above: http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/...gst-worst-product-flops-2011-says-report.html I came across this and I am saddened to see so many negative comments from people and am greatful for the people here that enjoy their 500s like I do mine, I thank you all and share yet another of the group of people that just can't show the 500 any love. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/111269-10-best-tech-cars-for-2012/11

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why is the term "chick car" bandied about like the ultimate insult? :p Personally, I find the insult insulting, lol. Not to mention most of the Fiat 500 owners here and elsewhere on the web are definitely men. And speaking for my mate - manly men! :D Mr. Howard should follow some good journalism rules - back your statements up with facts. Male to female owner stats would have been a good insert there. Or did he pull that statement out of his...well, you know where.

And sure, the car is a low hp car so I'll let that comment slide but bad handling, really? As compared to what, exactly? A Porsche? Then yes. A minivan, pickup truck or SUV (which is what most of the traffic around me is)? Then, no. What exactly is the car not doing just as well if not better than the other cars in it's price point when it comes to handling? I'd like to know because I don't seem to be having any problems and I rail my little Bella something fierce - for example, I just got some winter tire squeal but no loss of grip whatsoever taking a hot corner on the way home tonight. She didn't lose her tail, fall over, run off the road, steering wheel slap me or anything! Same for my emergency stop avoiding an accident literally a couple of feet in front of me a few weeks ago. Same for the curvy roads I go out of my way to find and enjoy. So what is my car doing right that the one he drove didn't? Or did he even drive one? And if he did, where and for how long?

I have enough opinions of my own, give me facts, darn it! :p I should elaborate: JLo infotainment tidbits not really what I mean by facts about the car.

I used to get Motorcyclist and one of the features in that magazine was a couple of the rider/writers would pick certain bikes to long term test - meaning taking the bikes home and living with them day in/day out for months. The reviews I read always seemed to be fair, pointing out what each type of bike did well and what kind of consumer would probably be happiest with it. But I guess that realistic kind of article writing doesn't get picked up often in this world of infotainment. :(

I much prefer to get information from folks who are actually driving and living with the vehicles in question...hence why I'm here. I've found enthusiast forums to be far better information sources on both the good and the bad then articles written by folks who have spent little to no time with the vehicle in question.

Regardless, not going to let less than positive press affect my enjoyment and I bet the rest of you aren't either. Funny how much most of us are enjoying our cars - guess we are freaks! Long live Fiat Freakdom! :D

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great post Bella, I too wonder if they even tried driving one as so many here speak so highly of the handling and yet he states in his article how poor it is, I'd love to see every "bad press" article writer to be made to drive the 500 (or whatever car it is) they are bashing on and THEN post an accurate review/opinion. Facts seem to be left out of almost every negative article I have seen, way more men than women have 500s from what I have seen and I am sure this person could have seen with the smallest of effort. I enjoy my car and as I mentioned above I am grateful of those of us here that enjoy theirs equally as much.

·
Registered
475 Posts
He says it has no luggage capacity; proves he's never driven one.

I hate "experts" like this.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This guy is a tool. I saw and sat in the Sonic at the L.A. Auto show. He syas quote;

"Chevrolet went from one of the industry’s worst subcompacts (Chevrolet Aveo) to one of the best (Chevrolet Sonic) in terms of fit and finish, handling, and savvy design."

Did he even bother to look inside or sit in it? I did. As soon as I sat in and glanced around I thought what a POS and got out. It's interior is outdated by, oh I say, twenty five years. It's all hard, sharped edged plastics with the most ridiculous instrument cluster I have seen in any car. The drivers seat was a weird reclined back angle like a tilted back office chair only less comfortable. This guy knows nothing at all about these cars and is an idiot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used to get Motorcyclist and one of the features in that magazine was a couple of the rider/writers would pick certain bikes to long term test - meaning taking the bikes home and living with them day in/day out for months. The reviews I read always seemed to be fair, pointing out what each type of bike did well and what kind of consumer would probably be happiest with it. But I guess that realistic kind of article writing doesn't get picked up often in this world of infotainment. :(
Motor Trend, Automobile, and Edmund's Insideline are all currently running long-term tests of the Fiat 500 Sport; there may be more that I haven't heard about. It was following the Insideline long-term test blog that first got me to test drive the 500, as my impressions of the car weren't that favorable at last year's Chicago Auto Show (though my impression of their model was quite favorable).

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This guy is a tool. I saw and sat in the Sonic at the L.A. Auto show. He syas quote; "Chevrolet went from one of the industry’s worst subcompacts (Chevrolet Aveo) to one of the best (Chevrolet Sonic) in terms of fit and finish, handling, and savvy design." Did he even bother to look inside or sit in it? I did. As soon as I sat in and glanced around I thought what a POS and got out. It's interior is outdated by, oh I say, twenty five years. It's all hard, sharped edged plastics with the most ridiculous instrument cluster I have seen in any car. The drivers seat was a weird reclined back angle like a tilted back office chair only less comfortable. This guy knows nothing at all about these cars and is an idiot.
Not a fan of the Sonic but I Googled the interior...I don't recall anything remotely like this 20+ yrs ago...
Car still sucks as far as I am concerned though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Worst car of the year? Really? This guy obviously hasen't seen that Nissan Murano 2dr roadster SUV thing. I threw-up in my mouth a littlee the first time I saw it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Not a fan of the Sonic but I Googled the interior...I don't recall anything remotely like this 20+ yrs ago...
Car still sucks as far as I am concerned though.
No??

Plus that was done with special lighting, a professional photographer and I am sure some enhancement because it did not look like that at the auto show.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is that 2nd one a Bonnievile? I'v never seen that radio interface before and I used to work at a car auction. Gm truley was the king of "tech" interiors in the 80"s

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was referring more to the choice of the blue LED lighting which is now common whereas it used to be that odd greenish coloring and the angles are all smoothed on the newer models where the old style was very squared, but fair enough I suppose it makes sense what you mean, I just didn't think it was too awfully bad like I expected from your initial comments, it could def use some work but I guess maybe the angled steering wheel creates an illusion of a newer interior even with its mimicking of older tech. :cool: I wish our 500s used blue and not orange or came with an option to change to different colors, it doesn't exactly look great as it is in a few ways although overall I do like what we have in front of us better than many options around these days. :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Is that 2nd one a Bonnievile? I'v never seen that radio interface before and I used to work at a car auction. Gm truley was the king of "tech" interiors in the 80"s
I don't know but I dig the stereo in the ash tray in the second photo:rolleyes:.:eek::confused:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I was referring more to the choice of the blue LED lighting which is now common whereas it used to be that odd greenish coloring and the angles are all smoothed on the newer models where the old style was very squared, but fair enough I suppose it makes sense what you mean, I just didn't think it was too awfully bad like I expected from your initial comments, it could def use some work but I guess maybe the angled steering wheel creates an illusion of a newer interior even with its mimicking of older tech. :cool: I wish our 500s used blue and not orange or came with an option to change to different colors, it doesn't exactly look great as it is in a few ways although overall I do like what we have in front of us better than many options around these days. :)
I agree about the orange. At least it isn't cheap alarm clock red. I absolutly hate that color. I can live with the orange in the FIAT but if it had red that would be a deal breaker.

I love my CR-Z dash. Even though it is digital it is not 80's cheesy. The numbers look like a 3D hologram that you can stick your finger through. The thin blue lights that separate the sections almost look like they are constantly flowing. I describe it as "TRON" like and very stunning. it took 700 miles for me to quit staring at the dash. It is impossible to pick up in pictures.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wow, it must fun to be journalist! Ingredients: A small dash of truth with a heaping steaming pile of BS...albeit creative well written BS!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought orange/red gauges were found to be better for night vision?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Motor Trend, Automobile, and Edmund's Insideline are all currently running long-term tests of the Fiat 500 Sport; there may be more that I haven't heard about...
Thankee, epb! I will keep an eye out for these reports.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
^^^ I like it! Tron-like seems to fit well, imagine it looks awesome at night, wish the 500 was more along those lines.
At night sometimes I geek out and put in the TRON; Legacy soundtrack and hit the twisties!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I thought orange/red gauges were found to be better for night vision?
Could be... The MINI had orange instrumentation but I don't remember any benefit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts