Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For someone who drives a car purely for convenience, would it be worth my money to install a "better" suspension set up in my Fiat?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Much more worth it I would think if your car used only for convenience also has rims so big you are only realy owning the car for Fashion and not function. Improved suspension upgrades may not make a difference in the confort of your ride if the ride is only to the grocery store.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For someone who drives a car purely for convenience, would it be worth my money to install a "better" suspension set up in my Fiat?
If your only driving for convenience its never a good idea to change your suspension. Aftermarket companies never make suspension components that improve ride quality. They only make ones that improve handling on a car. Coming from experience I've upgraded my suspension on pretty much every car I've owned. Never once did it improve the ride quality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep it oem. Unfortunately people that want to improve ride quality aren't usually people that buy aftermarket parts. So aftermarket companies don't really spend any time making parts for that market. Another way is to contact bose and see if they will make you a set of their suspension for your car. This is honestly the best suspension ever made. But for some reason no car manufacturer ever put it in their car.....

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Now that Bose suspension is SERIOUS. I wonder how it affects cornering ability though. Straight line comfort is one thing, but I can imagine the amount of body roll with such a soft setup. I doubt it would be worth it to upgrade the 500 suspension unless you are going for more performance, which kills comfort.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I watched the video. That suspension is not soft by any means. It actually stiffens and softens the suspension depending on the situation. Also the car was cornering hard in the slalom test and there was pretty much no bodyroll whatsoever.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn't bother putting on new suspensions unless you're planning to race your car.
quoted for truth!!! all my cars are running coilover setups but thats only because they all see time at the track every now and then. driving to and from work i always have a huge headache after i get out of the car from having a really rough ride.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The suspension in that video is amazing! I wonder what that would actually cost?
Way too much. That's probably why no car manufacturer ended up putting it in their cars. Remember these are the same guys charging over $300 for a set of headphones and $1000 for a dvd player with a 2.1 speaker system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see your point but also would still like to consider what a smooth ride like that would be like. Especially for long rides and winding roads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think this is just your personal opinion if you want the suspension or not. I wouldn't do it myself because I don't feel that the extra suspension does anything actually. I think it actually makes the suspension a little stiffer and harder.

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
It's cheaper to choose a car that has the specifications you want. The only reasons to modify a car are to make it different and/or faster compared to other examples of a the same car type.

A Subaru WRX would probably blow the doors off a modified 500, because it's designed for speed. The 500 is obviously designed for comfort, because it is comfy and unusually quiet for a small car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think this is just your personal opinion if you want the suspension or not. I wouldn't do it myself because I don't feel that the extra suspension does anything actually. I think it actually makes the suspension a little stiffer and harder.
That's an odd way to say it, though. An aftermarket suspension would make the ride worse, but make the handling better at the same time.

If I were buying a current 500 instead of waiting for the Abarth, I'd put in a new suspension. I think that most other mods would be very much lost on the car, since its hamster power wouldn't be increased by much other than a full turbo or s/c, which I imagine would be be almost more money than the car would be worth when you drive it off the lot.

However, a better suspension would improve the fun factor, and encourage you to maybe take the backroads from the grocery store instead of a straight line. :)

Or, if you want a happy medium, switch to thicker sway bars when they're available - the ride won't be affected too much with them on, but handling would nicely improve. Of course, better tires and lighter rims would be on my short list too.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Anyone know when a good spring or coilover setup will be available for the north american models? I have a full Koni suspension on my Volvo and it was one of the best things I ever did to the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts