Fiat 500 Forum banner

IF Fiat comes out with an all wheel drive Fiat 500, would you get AWD or 2WD?

• All wheel drive Fiat 500

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 2 wheel drive Fiat 500

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious: IF Fiat does come out with an all wheel drive version of the Fiat 500, would you get the all wheel drive version or the 2 wheel drive version?

You can read more about the rumored all wheel drive version HERE

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Only if it were making over 200hp. If not, I don't really see the point.

·
Registered
393 Posts
2 wheel drive is good enough for me, no need for 4 wheel drive. I can see why some people want 4 wheel drive, but like what the above poster said... it will need more power. 4 wheel drive might help if you live up north.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't understand why Fiat wouldn't bring an AWD Fiat 500 to the United States if it's being developed and manufactured for another country already. Let the consumer make the choice, and sell more Fiat 500's in the meantime.

Mini makes a car with AWD and sells it in the United States...

·
Registered
233 Posts
And how long has mini been on the market for? The worst thing Fiat could do is flood the market with too many different models right now. They need to slowly build the buzz get the 1st cars out (hopefully relatively problem free) and slowly bring new models on line to continue building excitement about the brand. An AWD variant which would probably be slower and much more expensive (or faster and MUCH MUCH more expensive) could potentially hurt them more then help them right now.

It will come eventually (if it does ok elsewhere), but not for another 5-10 years realistically.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ooooops, my bad. Just realized how wrong I was with my statements while going out to dinner tonight and I saw an AWD fiat. You can get one very quickly too. Unfortunately on our shores it's not called a fiat, but the Suzuki SX4 is a Fiat model that Suzuki bought the right to build and rebadge. Sorry, I don't know the actual Fiat model info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that there have only been 9 responses in the poll so far, but is anybody else shocked that 1/3 of the people want all wheel drive? I would have guessed that it would have been less than 10%.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just more stuff to break. Unless you live in CO, or UT or MN, what's the point? KISS

If you look at all the manufacturers (even Lexus!), I'd venture to say that most of their problems (or many of them anyway) are from the 4WD models!

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
If my wife wanted a Subaru we would have purchased a Subaru. She wants a Fiat 500 and NEEDS AWD.
If someone really NEEDS all-wheel-drive, wouldn't you want a superior system? Go around and look at the different cars that have them. I remember when I did this, the Mitsubishi had a big growth sticking out in the trunk, and had poor gas mileage. While in the Subaru the extra hardware was neatly hidden under a rear seat. Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to see an AWD Fiat, I'm a big AWD fan as I'm a Subiefile. :) But I would only want the Fiat to have AWD if they could get the MPG up. The new impreza gets 26/37 with 5MT or CVT from the 2.0 NA motor. It would need to beat the Impreza in MPG to really spark interest.

-mike

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: [email protected] | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

·
Registered
233 Posts
Enough with this BS! Do you really think this stupid post will incite enough demand that Fiat will turn around and build it immediately for you? Are you that out of touch with reality?

The 500 itself is so far no better than a niche market vehicle in our market. They do NOT need to spend millions on an additional variant that will be at best a small niche of the existing niche! Let them sell a few of the standard 500's first, then bring in some mass market Alfa's to get some traffic on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
818 Posts
kzod, breathe in... exhale... breathe in...

Nothing to get upset over, just people playing "what if" games about their favorite little car. For the record, though I didn't vote, I'd buy one if the mpg was acceptable, but it would be for my wife. I can safely say, if FIAT produced one tomorrow, she'd by one the next day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly, less mileage with AWD and additional maintenance.
Getting great fuel economy doesn't do you a lot of good when you're stuck in the snow. I'm assuming that because Fiat went through all of the trouble of setting up Fiat dealerships in the midwest, that they want to sell cars in the midwest. Guess what? It snows A LOT in the midwest and AWD / 4WD can be a deal breaker for a lot of the midwestern market. They certainly wouldn't sell fewer cars if they had an AWD model, and it's my understanding that Fiat already has a compatible AWD setup for the 500.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts