Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I like this site lots of info on the 500.

Im looking to buy one very soon.
I would like to know from you guys/gals the owners of this fine car, What are your honest Likes and Dislikes.

I would be driving 30 miles each way to work and I love to drive, I did take one on a test drive and liked it alot.
The dealer here in Las Vegas was not willing to work with me so I am talking to a lady at Fiat of Palm Springs, I think this may workout but would like to hear what you all have to say.

Thank you for your time and Im sure I will be around soon..

·
Registered
350 Posts
As long as you're traveling to Southern Cali, I'd recommend getting in touch with Rob over at Orange Coast Fiat (www.OCFiat.com)... He was fantastic with the purchase of my 500 Sport just yesterday!

As far as a commuter, it's a great car. There are a couple tiny quirks (like every car), but unless you can't stand people constantly calling the car "cute" or referencing JLo, I can quickly see this car becoming one of my favorite cars I've ever owned.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I've got close to 5,000 miles on my car now. Love driving it. Enough passing power. Quiet on the highway. Car doesn't like groove lines cut in the highway. Great Bose/Sirius 7 channel sound system. Blue and Me sometimes wishy washy. Don't like the Navigation placement. Wish the back seat would fold down flat. Don't get a the sunroof model, if your a tall person. No real major service issues. Really a fun small car to drive. Nothing else on the market like it for the price.:)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info guys, I have been doing custom car audio for 14 years so I will be doing a classy sound quality audio system..
I was looking at the Pop version and no sunroof, may change a few things but over all i have a good feeling about this..

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Once you get past all the "it's a fiat!" stuff it's a small car with nice features. Get a manual as the auto doesn't do as well as I think it should on gas. It's easy to park and has enough room for a solid grocery run. Kids fit in the back but after the published side impact rating of 2 stars, I only use it for short trips to and from daycare.

Reactions: Pkouri

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have over 21,000 miles on mine. Never a problem. Fun and reliable, great on highway.
Some reviewers will say it is underpowered, or they will complain about this or that.
I have no complaints, per se. Just keep in mind it is basically a 2+2. The back seats are for kids or adults on short runs. Cargo space is decent with rear seats folded down. If that fits your needs, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Let's see... it's a blast to drive. It's easy to park. It's eye-catching. It's economical. It's big on the inside, small on the outside. Holds more than you think. Lots of style.

Cons... armrest is pretty much useless. Same thing for the visors. Would be nice if it had a passenger grab bar. Intermittent wipers auto adjust according to speed, which isn't nearly as good of an idea as it sounds on paper. Seat adjusters are flimsy. Some complain about the over-the-shoulder visibility, but this can be addressed by properly setting the side mirrors.

There's probably other stuff, good and bad, that I'm missing. But that's what occurs to me right now.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
.....I would be driving 30 miles each way to work and I love to drive, I did take one on a test drive and liked it alot.
I too drive about 60 miles round trip for work and I LOVE my Sport. it IS a lot of fun to drive and makes my 45-50 minute drive just fly by.

as for the not so good things, just little idiosyncrocies like having to turn "ON" the foglamps every time you turn your lights on and the same with the "SPORT MODE". also not being able to use the EVIC while using the Blue & Me hands free. all things that can probably be corrected with a software update.......should FIAT see the need to do so.

if I wasn't so old and rickety, I would be driving the 5sp manual but since I AM, the 6sp auto does the job just fine and if I get in a racey mood, I can always use the autostick. :D

get the 500.......you'll be glad you did!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Except for the mpg advantage, I thought the manual was the 500's weakest link....not bad though. I have never bought a 4 cyl car with auto before my 500, but the engine just felt stronger to me with the auto as strange as that sounds. Sport mode is odd with auto though and to me needless. Just saying test drive both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as you have your expectations set properly for owning a very small car you'll have a blast in it. Sure MPG may not be all that great, but how many Prius, Yaris, Kia, Smart, or Mazda 2 owners do you hear talking about how much fun they had in their cars. Yeah, me neither.

I was sold on the manual, but opted for the automatic. My knees thanked me the first night of ownership stuck in 15 miles of stop and go traffic. I flip it over to manual mode quite often and it works for me. When I come back into traffic I switch over to auto mode. Handling is great, and for such a short wheelbase car it's highway manners are pretty darn smooth.

I love how this engine revs. Handling is great, but should be expected with wheels pushed out to the corners of any car. Sometimes I wish I had more kick in the seat power delivery, and I suspect the aftermarket community will help resolve that issue in the upcoming year if I feel so inclined to improve it.

My decision was between the 500 and the Mini Cooper (not the S). Getting in and out of the car is easier in the 500. Dash and controls layout to me were better for my needs in the 500. Sport seats hold me in place quite well.

There are some shortcomings. The armrest feels flimsy. Don't lean on it getting in and out of the car and it should last a while. Bose stereo system's sound delivery is disappointing. Sound seems thrust too far forward with very little delivery from the back. Navigation system is OK and I like it's integration better than aftermarket or in-dash solutions. I wish it's position on the dash had been moved closer to center. If you're thinking about getting it have the salesperson bring one out, pop it in for your test drive to see if it gets in the way of your field of vision.

Visibility out the rear isn't great with the thick C pillars. You might want to check into the parking assist option if you have trouble craning your neck around. I opted for the hatch vs. convertible for more hauling space. If you play golf bring your clubs to see if they fit.

Overcoming marketing stigma and creating a high quality consistent dealer experience are the car's biggest challenges. J-Lo and the marketing manager should be strapped to the test track at the assembly plant so each 500 off the line gets to roll over them. My sales experience was great at the studio I purchased from. Unfortunately getting in touch with the service department via the phone number advertised took 2 phone calls and being transferred 5 times before speaking to the right person.

So far I am pleased with my purchase. It attracts attention and people will come up and ask you about it often. Most importantly it works for my lifestyle and driving habits.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
. Sure MPG may not be all that great,.
actually, at 30/38 the car is right at (or near) the top of what any subcompact is getting, and i used to drive a manual yaris. the 500 was VERY easy to get over 40 mpg's in real world driving.

the real disappointment in the 500 is in the fuel sucking automatic they used here. they need to come up with something better.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I can say I get better than advertised MPGs with the auto, but just barely. Think it is rated 27/34 and I am getting between 28-32 and 38-42 depending on how I decide to treat the throttle which is usually spirited to say the least, definitely would be more fun with added power so once the mods I aim for are done I should be much happier. Depending on how you decide to drive the results you get I guess, manual would be a lot more fun but the 500 purchase was intended to be for purpose a great deal and that meant an auto for me for this car. RPMs on the Sport with the Sport button on is an experience you have to try to understand but I find the motor revs high before it actually goes anywhere and the lag from initial take-off is a disappointment to say the least. I notice when I back up and then pop a bit hard on the throttle the revs go and then the car basically lurches forward, much smoother when not in Sport mode but it seems a characteristic of the motor/tranny for the 500 and has been discussed more than a few times. It beats the Smart with its jerky shifting hands down though and can and does shift VERY smooth if you take it nice and easy, fun car and relaxing confident feeling drive unless you get in a hurry and put the Sport mode on and drive accordingly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is a small car for drivers who put DRIVING a little higher up on the priority list. Plus it's super easy to achive or beat the mpg estimates, at least with the stick.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone,
I will never own a Automatic FYI I never have..
I just love to drive..
I have a Kia Spectra5 right now and it is or should I say has been fun to drive. I have modded it a tad bit but thats all you can do with this car, I get about 33-35mpg..
This is my old drive to work http://youtu.be/gxU267LKcgY (some of me drifting at the track)

I would be getting the TWM Shifter kit I was reading about.. Im a big fan of TWM gear..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts