Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states, the infamous clutch failure happened to my sport today.

I was leaving a stop light (in heavy traffic), got going in first. Everything was fine.
Went to shift to second, couldn't get my clutch pedal past about 1/2 way down. Clutch would not disengage. No premature signs of this happening, it was just a sudden occurrence.
Pulled over to the side of the road and was unable to get my car into any gear.

Fiat had it towed to the nearest dealer for the nice, low fee of $200. The lady who assisted me informed me that it is not covered by warranty and everything is that has been stated in every other thread. She then told me my warranty has in fact expired. I informed her that even though she told me my warranty is expired, I have had things replaced on my car in the past few months via warranty. Strange.

I'm starting to think that my car is somewhat a lemon, as I have had MANY problems with it in this last year.
1.) Starter suddenly died - replaced by warranty.
2.) Perforated leather on my driver's seat is tearing
3.) Driver side door handle broke - replaced by warranty.
4.) (Sudden) Shifter misalignment, was nearly impossible to shift into 5th/reverse - fixed by warranty.
5.) Rear hatch rusting at the handle's corners - pending a fix from FIAT.
6.) Clutch failure, most likely the pressure plate/cracked throw out bearing.

I guess we will see how this goes. I'm hoping to be able to have FIAT cover the cost (or at least some of the cost) of this repair, seeing as it is by now a known problem on multiple vehicles.

Edit 1: As of today I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, as I feel this is becoming/has been a widespread problem with this year and model of car.

·
Registered
12,766 Posts
Clutch is not covered by warranty. 1,500 buck at the most. Lemon car is the service department is unable to repair, more them a couple times.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I picked up my car on Saturday. The total cost was $1025 (rounded up a dollar and some change).

Everything was fine and feeling good until today when I was leaving work. My starter cranked about a half of a time and is completely dead again. It has been a little over a year and just over 11,000 miles since it was replaced for the same exactly problem. This is great.. back to the studio with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well, I picked up my car on Saturday. The total cost was $1025 (rounded up a dollar and some change).

Everything was fine and feeling good until today when I was leaving work. My starter cranked about a half of a time and is completely dead again. It has been a little over a year and just over 11,000 miles since it was replaced for the same exactly problem. This is great.. back to the studio with it tomorrow.
Did you have them show you the failed clutch to prove it was the clutch disc and not the pressure plate failure?

Reactions: Tedolph

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
Did you have them show you the failed clutch to prove it was the clutch disc and not the pressure plate failure?
It is absolutely imperative on a non-warranty repair that you get your old parts back! It will be quite obvious if it was the pressure plate that failed.

The dealer will squeal on a warranty repair because they say that they have to send the parts back to FIAT for analysis. If you ask, they will at least let you inspect them.

Also, I have no idea why a dealership is telling you who is going to pay for what until they have dropped the tranny and found out what failed. I suppose they can say the warranty is expired and that is that, but it still seems to me that they might plead with FIAT if it was the clutch plate-at least get corporate to pay for the failed part.

TEdolph

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've been getting fliers from attorneys that are compiling a class-action lawsuit against Fiat for this issue. Fiat corporate still claims ignorance of any clutch failures which means either they're lying or the dealers aren't even attempting to get warranty coverage. I think it's both after dealing with the corporate people. The sad part is after spending $1000+ on the repair, you have a replacement part of the same quality that Fiat will decline to warranty upon the next failure

·
Banned
4,743 Posts
I've been getting fliers from attorneys that are compiling a class-action lawsuit against Fiat for this issue. Fiat corporate still claims ignorance of any clutch failures which means either they're lying or the dealers aren't even attempting to get warranty coverage. I think it's both after dealing with the corporate people. The sad part is after spending $1000+ on the repair, you have a replacement part of the same quality that Fiat will decline to warranty upon the next failure

That is a distinct possibility. Who knows how many of those bad clutch plates are in the parts bin. And no way without an X-ray machine to figure out which ones are defective!

TEdolph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts