Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST: I know this is a topic that can raise blood pressures and emotions as to the safety and effectiveness of it so please, if you want to rant, take it elsewhere.
This is a helpful guide for those believers who are willing to do this change to their car, at no cost, to give it the ride stance that matches the EU spec 500s.

OK, ethical disclaimer out of the way, so now down to brass tacks. This job took me under an hour and the tools used were simple:

1. two scissor jacks (to raise/lower the car incrementally, helps with locating the coils on the perches and reconnecting the shocks)
2. The proper female torx socket for the shock bolt (Or a 9/16 - 6 point socket and ratchet which was all I had that fit and worked)
3. A cutoff wheel on a die griinder or something equivalent

A. For starters, chock the front wheels, place the car in gear (manual trans) or park (auto trans).
B. Place the scissors jacks in the stock lift points and lift the rear of the car just before the tires leave the ground

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel

C. Remove the two lower shock bolts (9/16 socket). Then raise the car up until you have the clearance to remove the spring from it's perch.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel

Auto part Suspension part Tire Suspension Automotive tire

D. Remove the spring and seperate the rubber insulators from the spring, taking care to note which way they will reassemble (tops are different from bottoms)

Auto part Suspension part Suspension Vehicle Engine

E. Mark and cut spring so that half a coil is removed from both the top and bottom of the spring.

Rim Auto part Wheel Shoe Footwear Shoe
Wire Coil spring Tire Technology Cable Coil spring Tire Auto part Automotive tire Suspension

Comparison of stock spring to cut spring:

Coil spring Font Compact car Subcompact car Vehicle

F.
RE-install the rubber spring insulators and springs in the order they were removed, paying attention to line up the lower insulator in the "D" shape of the lower control arm's spring perch

Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Flange

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pic of Perch:

Bumper Auto part Kettlebell Rim Wheel

G. Lower car slowly, taking care to make sure rubber perches are correctly locating on to their respective spring seats. Then re-install the lower shock bolts and lower car.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel

Done!

Your finished product should sit level, with a stance like this:

Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

After putting a few miles on the car I can confirm this is a mod that leaves NO adverse side affects or suspension geometry issues.

Hope this Helps!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
good write up. Easy to do with simple hand tools.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Excellent write up, but think of the children, lol. Just teasing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I sugest plasti dipping the ends of the springs. This will protect the ends from rust and will help with creaking noises from metal on metal contact.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

the one made to dip tools in should work nicely.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the cut end not exposed to moisture?
I agree painting or sealing the ends is a good idea, but since I'm in sunny so cal it's not a big issue. Plus if they do rust, since it's just the outermost tips, it's resting against the rubber isolators, and is not going to structurally hurt the spring in any way down the road.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a good side by side comparison of the change in rider height of my car. First pic is the one the dealer took to show case the car online, and the second is the finalized job.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Fiat 500 Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Mine had that 4x4 look too, it was terrible. I think all the non sports have that issue.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Mine had that 4x4 look too, it was terrible. I think all the non sports have that issue.
Oh no - Sports are included in the same category. I remember my dad brining his Sport over to show me back when my son was still new and keeping us up all night - my first words to him were Jesus does this need to be lowered! That's why half a year later it was one of the first things I did to mine. :D

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Oh no, I could not wait that long LOL.
What I meant to say was - half a year later, when I bought mine - my car only had 1500 miles.on it when I lowered it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
After putting a few miles on the car I can confirm this is a mod that leaves NO adverse side affects or suspension geometry issues.
Great thread, thanks. By this do you mean it rides the same or is it a bit more harsh?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Less harsh than lowering springs but slightly more harsh than if I left it alone. And I do mean slightly.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
just curious, do you think cutting the front ones sounds like a worthwhile endeaver?

·
Registered
440 Posts
very easy to do!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm was thinking of buying the H&R springs but all I wanted was a straight ride. This might do the trick. I got a date with my car Saturday.

Did you do it all by yourself or did you have some help? Also you cut have a turn on top and half a turn on the bottom. Did you calculate it or just a best guess? I wonder if I should try just a 1/2 turn to start with. Did you measure the ride from and back? I want to make sure the rear is not lower than the front.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts