Fiat 500 Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was asking because I have seen that if a non-authorised key is used to open the car, it fries the BCU. Or is that if a non-autorised key is used to try to start the car?
It's based on the alarm in the Body Control Module (BCM). If the alarm is activated, then only an authorized key can deactivate the alarm. In a All Keys Lost situation, an activated alarm cannot be silenced and the BCM has to be replaced.

That's not your situation. Even if your alarm is armed and you activate it by popping the door, all you have to do is grab the key from inside and press the unlock button to turn the alarm off. You have an authorized key, even though it's a bit inaccessible at the moment.

But you should go ahead and get a second key fob now. Would have taken 5 seconds to solve your current problem and would really save your bacon if the authorized key is actually ever lost.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's based on the alarm in the Body Control Module (BCM). If the alarm is activated, then only an authorized key can deactivate the alarm. In a All Keys Lost situation, an activated alarm cannot be silenced and the BCM has to be replaced.

That's not your situation. Even if your alarm is armed and you activate it by popping the door, all you have to do is grab the key from inside and press the unlock button to turn the alarm off. You have an authorized key, even though it's a bit inaccessible at the moment.

But you should go ahead and get a second key fob now. Would have taken 5 seconds to solve your current problem and would really save your bacon if the authorized key is actually ever lost.

ga2500ev

Thanks!
Got it open with the clothes hanger trick and ordered an additional for from the wireless locksmith link. the $55 one should do.

Thanks again guys!
Leo

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks!
Got it open with the clothes hanger trick and ordered an additional for from the wireless locksmith link. the $55 one should do.

Thanks again guys!
Leo
Can you please clarify what you purchased, where you bought it from, and exactly what you expect it to be able to do with what you bought?

There is no $55 key that will actually start the car that I know of.

Take another read of the key bonding process that I wrote a while ago:

I just don't want you to get your hopes up that there's actually a cheap key that will work on your 500e.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
110 Posts
Okay i know this has been beat to death but, your lucky you still have 1 key left. Having the one key left to my knowledge, means if you buy a factory key it can be programmed to the car. However a non factory key may start the car but not unlock or vice versa. I paid $450 to buy a body control module and installed it myself, the dealership wanted 1700 to do this and claimed the bcm was in the engine bay which it isnt. ( i lost both keys and had no choice). After installing it my self which took about 30 minutes. I paid the dealership $180 per key and $75 to program it. Long story shorter its cost me $900 after tax to purchase my bcm (install myself) and pay the dealership to program it($225 just for the BCM programming) and the key. Moral of the story if you still have a working key and a nearby dodge or fiat dealership that will do the programming pay the $300 and do it now before your last key gets lost or breaks. And it costs you $2000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you please clarify what you purchased, where you bought it from, and exactly what you expect it to be able to do with what you bought?

There is no $55 key that will actually start the car that I know of.

Take another read of the key bonding process that I wrote a while ago:

I just don't want you to get your hopes up that there's actually a cheap key that will work on your 500e.

ga2500ev
Here is the one linked in another thread:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here is the one linked in another thread:
It's a blank. Very unlikely that you'll be able to get it programmed. From the above site's programming page for FIAT.

Key Fobs for all Fiat car models must be professionally programmed by a local automotive locksmith. Key blade also needs to be cut as well. The Dealer may decline programming an aftermarket remote for you. To find a Verified Local Locksmith you can check out the "Find a locksmith" section at the top of our website!
It's the precoding that I describe in my detailed post that is missing. Unless you can find someone who can pull the secret code from the BCM and precode the key, it cannot be authorized such that it'll start the car or operate any remote functions.

But go ahead and get the blade cut. There should be a card in your owner's manual pack that has the code to give to a locksmith to cut it. Looks like this:

Azure Font Electric blue Rectangle Automotive exterior

ga2500ev

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a new owner, a 2017 500e with 32k miles. Love the EV aspect of the car, took a look at the Spark but the Fiat won me over. Glad I didn't buy the Leaf, thank you to this forum discussion about the battery thermal management. Anyhow, my question is, if you order a new key from a Fiat dealer, does the old key become useless? Do you need to order 2 keys at the same time? Also, do they send a completely new key and keyfob?

I have 2 keys but one is very worn out and I'd like to replace it with a brand new one.
It's the chip in the Key Fob wherein lies the problem. Any lock and key shop can cut you a new key, but programing the Key Fob to access the ignition lock is the problem.

I read of one guy who lost one key. He got a new metal duplicate cut, but he hid the one remaining fob in the steering column. The duplicate metal key will open the door, and works in the ignition. The ignition and the Fob now connect and he can drive the car, but he has to lock and unlock the doors manually. Eventually, he's going to have to buy a new programmable fob.

I'd be curious what Chrysler charges to cut and program TWO keys at the same time, we have two drivers and having a spare would be nice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's the chip in the Key Fob wherein lies the problem. Any lock and key shop can cut you a new key, but programing the Key Fob to access the ignition lock is the problem.

I read of one guy who lost one key. He got a new metal duplicate cut, but he hid the one remaining fob in the steering column. The duplicate metal key will open the door, and works in the ignition. The ignition and the Fob now connect and he can drive the car, but he has to lock and unlock the doors manually. Eventually, he's going to have to buy a new programmable fob.

I'd be curious what Chrysler charges to cut and program TWO keys at the same time, we have two drivers and having a spare would be nice.
In my area they charge $165 for each key and $75 each to program. So $480 total for 2 assuming you already have one that works for the car.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts